• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are we too picky? (AKA, Conan 2011 was pretty good on a re-watch)

26 posts in this topic

So it was Saturday evening and I was looking for something interesting to watch.  I would have loved to watch an old Conan movie, but didn't feel like lining the pockets of my local cable provider to rent it.  But I could watch the 2011 version of Conan for free, so I did.  No Arnold.  No Mako.

I've seen it before.  And I know that it's generally considered "not great".  But you know?...in absence of other Sword and Sorcery options, I enjoyed it.  How about the scene when Conan was a boy and ran that race carrying a bird egg in his mouth, and then his village went under attack?  I loved that and I won't apologize for it.  Capturing the "Pure Blood" in a wagon chase and having no clue who she was?  Then telling her to just shut up and taking her captive so he could use her as leverage?  I thought that was on-point with a lot of Savage Sword issues I've read!

Sometimes, I can beg, plead or otherwise bribe my teenage daughters to watch some of the older fantasy and sci-fi that I used to watch when I was their age.  And if they do,  I receive their universal response of "Dad, that really wasn't that good".  But then, I counter with "But that's all we had!"..."it was a different time and this sci-fi show was an oasis in a desert".   Back then, if you wanted see a fantasy movie, that might mean you needed to see Beast Master a few times because you knew the guy at the theater.  We didn't have non-stop cartoon channels and had to resort to Saturday morning cartoons if we wanted to watch cartoons (assuming we didn't outgrow them...Scooby Doo exemption not withstanding).

I understand "Nerd Rage".  But, when did we get so spoiled?

I was just in the WandaVision thread reading people bashing it because the ending wasn't up to the caliber they expected.  OK.  But it's better than watching almost everything else and I don't think anyone here turned off the television in the last 10 minutes of the show.  I don't think they walked out of Conan 2011.  We have to be careful about what we pan, or they're going to slow down their production of them and we'll see other Genres cycle back into vogue.  Support fantasy films, even if they aren't perfect.

Edited by Westy Steve

2 minutes ago, RedRaven said:

I am a huge Conan fan and this movie really disappointed me. What did not was the Solomon Kane movie. I thought that was excellent.

I went out of my way to track this one down on bluray. It is fantastic! :applause:

3 minutes ago, RedRaven said:

I am a huge Conan fan and this movie really disappointed me. What did not was the Solomon Kane movie. I thought that was excellent.

I'll meet you half-way.  Solomon Kane was awesome, and I didn't even know about it (or his tie in with REH) until years later when I was searching Netflix for Conan.  That movie was amazing.

So is this thread only for sword and sorcery films we think are better on rewatch?  If not, I want to say WandaVision had me rewatching Age of Ultron the other day and it wasn't the crappy movie I remembered.  It actually held up pretty well.  This is in no way a defense of Joss Whedon.  That guy can still go to hell.  But the movie was much better than I remembered.

6 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

To keep on topic I will forever loathe that Conan.ALMOST as much as Elektra

Ooh...I'd forgotten about Elektra. Aside from one training sequence, it was nearly unwatchable. Like at least Ghost Rider is so bad it becomes fun to watch the camp - and Nicolas Cage doing his Nicolas Cage thing. But Elektra was just a pure-play misfire.

Edited by Gatsby77

I thought it was OK, but there was some really silly parts to it.  Would have liked it better if they 1) took out the origin story (absolutely unnecessary), 2) stop putting so much emphasis on a McGuffin (daddy's sword - Conan must have used a million different weapons in his lifetime - HE DIDN'T CARE.), 3) no sidekicks, 4) and no romance with a shallow princess/maiden that needed to rescued left and right.  

FYI, if they really wanted to do a good Conan movie, they should adapt RED NAILS.  It'll never happen of course.  It would require a hard R at the minimum to do it justice as well as dripping with enough, sex, violence, and "toxic masculinity" that the heads of all snowflakes would explode.  

1 minute ago, Brian48 said:

FYI, if they really wanted to do a good Conan movie, they should adapt RED NAILS.  It'll never happen of course.  It would require a hard R at the minimum to do it justice as well as dripping with enough, sex, violence, and "toxic masculinity" that the heads of all snowflakes would explode.  

There's a Conan the Barbarian TV show in the works already. Could go TV-MA.

40 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Like at least Ghost Rider is so bad it becomes fun to watch the camp

peeing fire off the back of the pickup was pretty fun

3 hours ago, RedRaven said:

On my 2nd viewing of Conan (2011) last year, I did enjoy more than when I watched it in 2011. It's possible I was expecting too much the 1st time, comparing it to the 1984 film.

And yes, Solomon Kane is a great film. I saw it in 2009 and wondered why more people weren't talking about it. Saw it again last year, still holds up. I wish they had done completed the trilogy.