• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sports card investors entering into the graded comic book market?
2 2

Do you think sports card investors played an significant role in the recent uptick in graded comic book prices?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think sports card investors played an significant role in the recent uptick in graded comic book prices?

• Yes
    • No

33 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

And this is why I NEVER hire millennials.

Meh everyone was young and arrogant at some point.

Only difference these days is they have absolutely no concept of respect. The self is ALL, the ego is everything and gratification must be fulfilled.

I'm going to go with a no on this one and it's because a number of factors brought more money into comics:

1. Covid finding more people indoors looking for ways to occupy their time...reinvigorated collectors who stopped collecting

2. Crypto and the rise of instant millionaires.  I remember reading somewhere that there were tens of thousands of new millionaires because of Bitcoin/Ethereum/Doge coin taking off.

3. Stimulus checks - helped raise books valued in that 500-5000K range.

4. Distrust in government and lack of stock market gains pushing people to look for more tangible investment options such as comics.

5. The Gary Vee effect of social media influencers buying comics/cards and impacting the purchasing decisions of others.

I think card collectors joining in the rush to buy comics had little to do with it and more to do with the factors above.

Edited to address the comments saying "i'd never hire a millennial" or bashing any particular generation.  It's typical and rather foolish to stereotype an entire generation which happens with each generation disparaging the previous one to make themselves feel better.  Lazy and self centered people in each generation.  Last time I checked, millennials didn't ruin the environment or create a socially unbalanced structure.

Edited by Keys_Collector

Certainly sports card investors have jumped in with two feet. I can simply look at the E-bay buyers who are buying my stuff.
Many of the top high profile sports cards/non-sports cards are also now dropping in value. So many are moving to the next bubble.

Comics hyped most You Tube influencers I would add are the most fragile in a market like this, so be careful. Not that I'm complaining, I can't wait to slab and move my copies Wolverine 1, 8, X-Men 5, 11 etc if they still have value in the next few months.

Well, just a fyi, Goldin Auctions (one of the premier sports cards and Pokemon auction house) are currently taking consignments for comics books, video games, and any other pop culture collectibles for their quarterly auctions.  They are also doing a referral program, so if you know anyone that may be interested in consigning with them, they can cut you a check.