What's with all the 3D modelling variant covers now?
1 1

27 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, littledoom said:

Definitely not lazy. This takes a lot of time. A lot isn’t what it seems. This is art. Is it original? No. Does it sell? Yes. Comic publishers are in the business of selling and that’s smart. 

Its lazy. I used to do it for Game design. Its MUCH easier, way faster. 

Some do it better than others. Mayhews stuff lately is just awful and transparent. I am pretty sure Jorge Jiminez uses 3d for a base, but he draws so much overtop that it looks brilliant. MUCH more effort and skill. 

1 minute ago, littledoom said:

Clayton Crain has been incorporating paint/digital for decades 

I'm aware. But there's a definitely difference there. Look at the effort he puts in. Like Jiminez, its clear anything 3d is just a base, NOT a key part of the work. He doesn't use it for everything either. 

On 3/31/2021 at 8:13 AM, F For Fake said:

You know, it's a shame about those covers, because it's my recollection that Mike Mayhew actually can really flat out draw, and doesn't need the bells and whistles. To be sure, drawing digitally is still drawing, and you have to be a skilled artist to use those tools. But with covers like these, it's like they make the "digital" aspect the feature, rather than a tool to enhance the "drawing" part. Different strokes and all that. I'm sure some folks love it, because there seems to be a lot of it. For what it's worth, I hate comic covers these days anyway. Covers used to tell a story in and of themselves, and give you an idea of what you're going to be reading inside. Today, covers are essentially miniature posters, and who cares what's inside? A lot of cool images out there, but they have nothing to do with storytelling. Give me a solid bronze Marvel cover over all of the Artgerms in the world, any day of the week.

Agreed. I love Archie Digest covers. I have never been a bonafide Archie collector, but the covers always give you a great idea what the comic will be like. I have always wished superhero and other comics would do this more.

On 3/31/2021 at 1:31 PM, littledoom said:

Definitely not lazy. This takes a lot of time. A lot isn’t what it seems. This is art. Is it original? No. Does it sell? Yes. Comic publishers are in the business of selling and that’s smart. 

tenor.gif

2 hours ago, mediaslave said:

Mayhew strikes again. 

Weak. As. F.

Like, straight up poser models with minimal repainting. 

Why do these sell?

STWHIGHREP2021004_DC91_540x.jpg

image.png.ec7adf5245cbc3d717545791a69fabbb.png