• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scam? CGC HELP!

16 posts in this topic

So I have been selling graded cards on eBay. Always wrapping the slab in bubble wrap, as well as shipping secured in a bubble mailer. I have NEVER had a problem with any cards i have shipped. I shipped out a Pikachu Vmax safely secured as always to a customer. A week after it shipped, customer asked me when i was shipping the card. Sometimes eBay doesn’t update the shipping right? So I’m thinking it’s sketchy because of how the guy was wording his questions. He sent me two pics today saying this happened during shipping. I think he’s trying to scam me for a refund because how could this possible happen is what I’m wondering. I think he took a hammer and nail to the slab. 

619D3347-560B-40C5-9B26-670FAE23E104.png

12994E85-4201-4E72-A5AB-DA83240A6C9E.png

This is not a CGC Issue - this is a USPS / eBay issue. Could this happen with a Hammer? Sure! Could this also happen in a bubble mailer if the USPS guy accidently steps on it? Yessir. I've shipped out thousands of slabbed cards - about 4 times its happened .. but it does happen. Nothing CGC can do for you on this end :/

I would ask him to take pictures of the wrapping and the envelope you sent it in as well all sides so you can inspect it. I've been selling cgc comics for years and only once had damage on the bottom of one of the cases which was chipped. I seriously bulletproof those with cardboard and bubble wrap inside a priority box and it always works out well. When I asked a customer to send me the picture of the box it looked like someone punctured the box with a screwdriver and hammer or something similar I'm not sure. 

With bubble wrap envelopes there are two things I would consider from my experience and others here I'm sure. If someone claims damage, it may be hard to see on a bubble wrap envelope if it actually happened during shipping. If you use a box, which I always recommend that is at least two or three times larger than what's inside, you will almost always see some evidence of tampering or potential cause of damage.

I would add that by the look of the damage, it may have been stepped on or something much heavier thrown on top of it. 

Edited by CHASEnBLUE

No yeah I’m definitely NOT saying it’s CGCs fault! I just wanted your guys opinions because to me, CGC slabs are sturdy as can be. I just thought it was odd that it was through and through you know? I can understand ANYTHING can happen when in the post, I just wanted more of an opinion from you guys to see what y’all think! 

Thank you guys for your replies so far! This has been a great help. I’ve probably sold about 50-60 slabs and this was my first encounter with a problem or cracking of a case at that. 

I've had a similar situation with a PSA slab that I mailed out, the thing got OBLITERATED, massive crack in the slab and there was a huge gash in the package when it was delivered to the buyer. They returned the damaged slab to me and I refunded them, so that kind of thing can definitely happen without being a scam. I insured the package so USPS covered the refund, and I was able to get it reslabbed, so it was no big deal in my case.

41 minutes ago, Benx29 said:

So I have been selling graded cards on eBay. Always wrapping the slab in bubble wrap, as well as shipping secured in a bubble mailer. I have NEVER had a problem with any cards i have shipped. I shipped out a Pikachu Vmax safely secured as always to a customer. A week after it shipped, customer asked me when i was shipping the card. Sometimes eBay doesn’t update the shipping right? So I’m thinking it’s sketchy because of how the guy was wording his questions. He sent me two pics today saying this happened during shipping. I think he’s trying to scam me for a refund because how could this possible happen is what I’m wondering. I think he took a hammer and nail to the slab. 

619D3347-560B-40C5-9B26-670FAE23E104.png

12994E85-4201-4E72-A5AB-DA83240A6C9E.png

This happens, not overly common but it can. The fact that CGC uses rigid plastic (as they should) means that a break/crack can be severe when it happens. Hopefully you insured your shipping.

Take it back, and eat the shipping, and reslab expenses if it is worth it to you to do it again. Unless you shipped priority (which automatically insures for $50), or paid for insurance, you won't get satisfaction from the post office, and even then, it may be difficult if you can't show the packaging was damaged on delivery. 

If you sell things via the mail, you are going to have to eat some losses now and then, either through scams, goods lost or damaged in shipping, stolen from mailboxes/porches, or just shelling out postage for a returned item.  Even if you were somehow insured against every loss, you'd still have the expense of insurance to amortize against any eventual loss.

4 hours ago, rjpb said:

Take it back, and eat the shipping, and reslab expenses if it is worth it to you to do it again. Unless you shipped priority (which automatically insures for $50), or paid for insurance, you won't get satisfaction from the post office, and even then, it may be difficult if you can't show the packaging was damaged on delivery. 

If you sell things via the mail, you are going to have to eat some losses now and then, either through scams, goods lost or damaged in shipping, stolen from mailboxes/porches, or just shelling out postage for a returned item.  Even if you were somehow insured against every loss, you'd still have the expense of insurance to amortize against any eventual loss.

Yep, this. The card looks ok. If the customer doesn't want to reslab it himself, which he can do for 10 bucks, I'd refund and do that myself. It sucks to have to deal with, but it happens every now and then.

Why would automatically assume it was a scam?

The slab is clearly broken.  You obviously didn't package it well enough for this to not happen.

Cut out some pieces of cardboard that are the same shape of the slabbed card.  Place one on the front and one on the back.   I've shipped about 1000 cards this way with 0 complaints.

Edited by Nathan Evenson

I too am confused as to how this is a scam. What is the buyer getting out of this except your time? If you process a return and send the money back once the item is back in your possession, the only real cost to you is getting it reslabbed.