• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A newbie but not a newbie question

19 posts in this topic

So I've been collecting silver age comics since the early 80's. I have DD #1NM, Iron Man #1 Mint, etc. But I did all that when I was MUCH younger. I want to get them all graded, but I'm wondering-- how nerve wracking is it to pop these things into a box and ship them to CGC??? I have boxes and boxes of valuable comics. The thought petrifies me.

Consider posting good photos of your books for an estimated grade in this forum - one thread for each comic of course: Comic book grading advice - CGC (cgccomics.com)

If you don't live close enough to CGC to drop off and pick up, yes is can be nerve-wracking to say the least. It goes without saying to not send all of your high-end books in at once, purchase insurance, and use a service that you are comfortable with. Personally, I've never had any problems with UPS there and back. 

Welcome to the boards!! (thumbsu

I'm sure it's nerve-wracking, especially with the GA/SA books.  I pack my books using my OCD...lots of bubble wrap and some stabilizing cardboard slabs secured tightly.  I haven't had a problem...yet.  Of course, if you're getting them pressed by a third-party, make sure they're respectable and great at what they do.  They'll take care of the packaging for you when they send them in to CGC.

The nerve-wracking part, for me, isn't the packaging...it's whether or not the package is tampered with.  Make sure you get insurance for the potential value of the books...just for piece of mind at least.  Plenty of other folks here who have their opinions and recommendations as well.  Good luck!!! :smile:

Edited by Galen130

38 minutes ago, Justin1969 said:

So I've been collecting silver age comics since the early 80's. I have DD #1NM, Iron Man #1 Mint, etc. But I did all that when I was MUCH younger. I want to get them all graded, but I'm wondering-- how nerve wracking is it to pop these things into a box and ship them to CGC??? I have boxes and boxes of valuable comics. The thought petrifies me.

Why do want them graded? Before you do, can you put a few thousand dollars to better use? I can understand if you want them checked for restoration, but if you aren't going to sell them, why bother?

Honestly if you have books like Daredevil and Iron man 1 in mint condition and other books of similar caliber, it might make sense to fly to Florida yourself and drop them off in person.  Make a vacation out of it.

*of course this is when they are accepting submissions in person again after the pandemic.  

I mean, it can be nerve wracking lol. 

Sticking your comics in the mail and then not seeing them for months gives me anxiety.  Though I've done it many many times without a problem. 

There are several threads here that talk about how to pack them to make sure they can endure rough handling. You can also buy kits from cgc to make it easier. 

I have private insurance that covers shipping insurance. In the end it was allot cheaper to buy private insurance on my collection than to pay for shipping insurance on several high dollar books. 

Incidents do happen and we've all read the horror stories, but 99.99% of the time, everything is fine. It just takes awhile. 

If you want to use a presser, we can make recommendations there.  

13 hours ago, revat said:

Honestly if you have books like Daredevil and Iron man 1 in mint condition and other books of similar caliber, it might make sense to fly to Florida yourself and drop them off in person.  Make a vacation out of it.

*of course this is when they are accepting submissions in person again after the pandemic.  

I haven't done this yet, but I'm planning to drive down some big books when they are accepting in person again. I'm hopeful that isn't too far off. 

21 hours ago, Justin1969 said:

-- how nerve wracking is it to pop these things into a box and ship them to CGC??? I have boxes and boxes of valuable comics. The thought petrifies me.

It's the worst part! Not having the books for almost 9mos depending upon tier. You can also walk the books through Sarasota or submit to CGC directly at a larger regional / national convention to help reduce the stress of shipping to CGC. 

1 hour ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

It's the worst part! Not having the books for almost 9mos depending upon tier. You can also walk the books through Sarasota or submit to CGC directly at a larger regional / national convention to help reduce the stress of shipping to CGC. 

Strong point. I know I've forgotten about conventions because of the quarantines, but that is usually a cheaper, more sure way of getting your books to CGC. You also don't have to go through that weird gap of time between when the books arrive at CGC and you're waiting for them to register book in the system.  Of course usually you have to pay for entrance to the convention and still transport your books to the CGC booth, and not everyone has a convention near their city when they want one. 

If a person is not in a hurry, there's no real need to submit right this second to CGC.  Wait til conventions come back or CGC takes in-person submissions again if your books are ultra valuable.  Of course if one is a hurry, do you what you gotta do.

I think you can do in-person submissions again. I know you can for cards cause I remember a post from Paul about it not too long ago.

It's one of those do the online forms, call them, arrange a time, show up and let them come out and take it out of your trunk/hatchback/back seat sort of non-contact things. 

Paul does the CCG cards, not sports. So not sure what the official policy is, or has been. But he definitely said it could be done with the CCG cards.

39 minutes ago, Fizzle said:

Posted 4 hours ago, not sure if that's for all cards/comics or just sports cards.

Screenshot_20210406-145607.png

Edited by xvipah

I was hoping to drop books at CGC.  Saw the note on their website about not allowing the general public to drop-off due to COVID so I called this afternoon to see if they would be allowing drop offs in the future....thinking I would wait.  I was told CGC is no longer going to allow the public to drop off directly, regardless of COVID.  They will only accept drop offs from CGC authorized dealers.  I agree with the OP, makes me nervous to ship what I consider expensive books.