• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to submit new, sealed comics for grading

10 posts in this topic

I am a new member and am new to grading.   I have 2 unopened special edition comics that I want to get graded.  Does CGC open the bags once the submission is received or should I do it before I ship?  Thanks for any advice or help!

Open the bag carefully...like with a razor blade.  If the poly bag has print/pictures on it, keep it with the graded slab.  Some collectors like that.  If CGC opens the bag, it will be trashed.  If there’s something in the bag with the book, keep that too...obviously.  Like a trading card.  All my polybagged books were opened carefully by me so I could check the condition of the book.  I keep the bag AND anything that came with it...just in case.  But that’s just me. (thumbsu

Edited by Galen130

11 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

CGC will open the bag and grade the comic inside.  It's best for you to carefully remove and inspect the book yourself prior to submitting for grading.

If it's an X-Force #1, open the bag, remove the book, and then toss it in the fire.  It's worth more as tinder than as a comic book.

Bingo.

On 4/6/2021 at 4:58 PM, ExNihilo said:

CGC will open the bag and grade the comic inside.  It's best for you to carefully remove and inspect the book yourself prior to submitting for grading.

If it's an X-Force #1, open the bag, remove the book, and then toss it in the fire.  It's worth more as tinder than as a comic book.

You may want to keep the Deadpool "rookie" card though - if it doesn't have the polybag seam indentation lines like all of mine did...O.o:facepalm:

Edited by CHASEnBLUE

2 minutes ago, CHASEnBLUE said:

You may want to keep the Deadpool "rookie" card though - if it doesn't have the polybag seam indentation lines like all of mine did...O.o:facepalm:

I have this issue as well, but the comic isn't worth grading at a VF/NM.  I have the Deadpool card too.  I hear it could be worth one million dollars!!! :roflmao:

Dr. Evil.jpg

13 minutes ago, Galen130 said:

I have this issue as well, but the comic isn't worth grading at a VF/NM.  I have the Deadpool card too.  I hear it could be worth one million dollars!!! :roflmao:

Dr. Evil.jpg

Agree! Use the comic pages for packing material....:bigsmile:

On 4/6/2021 at 4:52 PM, Metallion13 said:

I am a new member and am new to grading.   I have 2 unopened special edition comics that I want to get graded.  Does CGC open the bags once the submission is received or should I do it before I ship?  Thanks for any advice or help!

You might want to list the book. Many polybagged comics are not worth the cost of having them slabbed.

List the book and you'll get opinions from people who have submitted books and know the market.