• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Damaged in capsule
1 1

10 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, Joe Lindsey said:

I purchase a graded 9.8 uncanny X-men 350 on eBay and the back cover has a few rips at the top. Almost like it had been smashed while sealed. Does it still have the same value as long as it stays in the capsule? 

Unfortunately it doesn't and I would return it. 

At the end of the day,  the condition of the book is the priority. Despite the case it's in,  it sounds like the book is no longer a 9.8, and from an ethical stand point shouldn't be represented and sold as a 9.8

I agree. It’s a bummer I wouldn’t feel right selling it. I just caught it and I bought it quite some time ago. So basically screwed.. I freed it up.the top was smashed. Could’ve been from shipping I’m guessing.. I don’t see how a book could get so messed up from mishandling in the capsule but who knows? It’s a first and hopefully last! 

1603D275-DCD2-44FB-9130-416F682AA281.jpeg

Edited by Joe Lindsey

51 minutes ago, Joe Lindsey said:

I agree. It’s a bummer I wouldn’t feel right selling it. I just caught it and I bought it quite some time ago. So basically screwed.. I freed it up.the top was smashed. Could’ve been from shipping I’m guessing.. I don’t see how a book could get so messed up from mishandling in the capsule but who knows? It’s a first and hopefully last! 

1603D275-DCD2-44FB-9130-416F682AA281.jpeg

Yikes. I almost wonder if that happened during the encapsulation? 

Sorry to see that! 

6 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

That's a return it if I've ever seen one.

I’m working on it. I inquired about it to CGC to see if they have any photos post encapsulation. I’m already over the return on where I bought it. And you know the post office isn’t going to pay for it. So yeah it’s a Hail Mary. Lesson learned- look the book over well within the return time. 

9 hours ago, Joe Lindsey said:

I’m working on it. I inquired about it to CGC to see if they have any photos post encapsulation. I’m already over the return on where I bought it. And you know the post office isn’t going to pay for it. So yeah it’s a Hail Mary. Lesson learned- look the book over well within the return time. 

In another thread, a person said that the post office will pay for damaged CGC books if it's insured.

Edit: Just wanted to ask is the damage around the staples?  That's terrible that can happen after encapsulation, someone had to shake that thing pretty hard.

Edited by Sky1

3 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Or if the seller just has other images from the sale, before listing, or after he received it . 

I got a pretty good report with the seller. I’ll see what he’s gotta say. My first contact was to CGC and they said they don’t image the books.

I think it’s a good idea on their part to avoid anybody coming back on them. But I got the stonewall response instead which is modern day customer service. That’s a post for another thread I visited this am 😄