• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Well, CGC is raising prices for their services, and...
14 14

553 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Dr. Dank said:
2 hours ago, the blob said:

i don't want to hear from you canadians with your cheap college for your kids and not having to worry about healthcare, those of us to the south need to scrounge every penny we can for our old age

Hey we struggle too with incompetence and reliance on the oil industry

When I first read this I thought it said incontinence.  :roflmao:

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

If he wasn't trying to change the deal after it had been made I would have pointed out his error. 

I can't though. I really can't anymore. 

Nor should you. If they want to play stupid games, they win stupid prizes. 

So we are discussing the price increase and TAT, expansion, and hiring, but did anyone else notice the Tweet at the bottom of the screen? 

20210422_143855.thumb.jpg.53009b373f0c369fd7b7e3dd128b4c9b.jpg

Seems as though some of those new hires are due to the fact that they are expanding their cards to include Yugioh.  :facepalm:

Guess they didn't have enough submissions or Cardkids here . 

28 minutes ago, adampasz said:

Based on your failure rate, you can factor pre-screen fee into the sale price of your books. So if you're wrong 20% of the time, you will now pay be paying $40 per submission of 25 books. This comes out to $1.60 per book. ($40/25). 

Actually should be $40/20 = $2 per book. Assuming you are not able to sell the 5 that are rejects. (shrug)

Here's the table of what you should add to your sale price, per book, based on your reject rate. (Assuming you sell all your slabbed books, and don't sell our rejects.)

1143435389_ScreenShot2021-04-22at12_50_50PM.png.b0504da2dbe6d8905581a6e7b80ded63.png

Edited by adampasz

On the other hand, legalized marijuana in Florida might slow down processing of CGC submissions and result in more wacky stuff winding up inside of slabs and mislabels and pizza stains on books, based on my experience...

Edited by the blob

1 minute ago, the blob said:

On the other hand, legalized marijuana in Florida might slow down processing of CGC submissions and result in more wacky stuff winding up inside of slabs and mislabels

20210418_200309.jpg.ab5d96b90a036828bf5cd0fa8f2e2777.jpg

9 minutes ago, the blob said:

On the other hand, legalized marijuana in Florida might slow down processing of CGC submissions and result in more wacky stuff winding up inside of slabs and mislabels and pizza stains on books, based on my experience...

Or whoever owns this book sends in for a reholder and gets a roach in the case with the Stan Lee Spider-Roach. Yrp71Z8.jpg.dc210a63babe674d00d7cbbc197a35be.jpg

8 minutes ago, the blob said:

i would be so ticked off if stan did that to my 129... if i had a 129...

I agree.

At the same time this one has been shared so many times due to this that it has taken on a life of its own. 

5 hours ago, jcjames said:

Last year there were 122,000 Spider-Man books graded at CGC (blue-labels only).

That is one book graded every minute of every hour, 8 hours per day, every day Mon-Fri, every week of the year. 

That's JUST the blue-label Spider-Man books... one per minute, all year long.

3 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

Well that's just nucking futz!

Something has to give.

Since grading is subjective, the more graders they add to lower TATs, the more variability there'll be between books of the same grade. They can get TATs down to weeks if they have enough graders and slabbing machines running, but then grade-consistency will go down. Like the old adage says, you can have it done right, fast, cheap - pick two.

There's 250,000 books that were printed since 2020 that are now slabbed - that's almost 5% of all books EVER slabbed - there are sooooo many new-release moderns being slabbed every day (with so many going straight-to-dreck) that's what's nucking futz!

Edited by jcjames

2 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Like the old adage says, you can have it done right, fast, cheap - pick two

At this point any of us will be lucky if we get one of these...  I would be ecstatic with two.. 

1 minute ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

At this point any of us will be lucky if we get one of these...  I would be ecstatic with two.. 

I think the VAST majority of slabs are properly graded, and considering the greater value added by having CGC slab any decent moderate-value raw book it's still relatively cheap, So I think almost all cases CGC gives you right and cheap.

35 minutes ago, jcjames said:

...250,000 books that were printed since 2020 that are now slabbed - that's almost 5% of all books EVER slabbed - there are sooooo many new-release moderns being slabbed...

The card graders have "Ultra-Modern" tiers and charge a higher price.  I wonder what the feedback would've been had CGC gone that route.