• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC's price raising and customer service
5 5

189 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, wombat said:

Its like they are actively trying to push people to the other place. I don't really understand how that is a good plan. And its not even about short term profits. I'm sure they will make more on the price increase than they will lose in business, but why push people to the competition for the long run?

Are they though? I don't think price was ever a factor in the competition. They were already cheaper and had some pretty awesome discount promotions. But hey, if this ends up further legitimizing the competition in the market, then I have some slabs that will benefit greatly from it. And if the competition gets more demand, than that means turn around times will lower at CGC. Sounds like a win all around.

Edited by William-James88

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

It’s foolish to think that these changes wont result in some loss of revenue 

I for one am not going to submit as many books as I used to

the price increases with the inconsistent grading and the current comic market where raws are bring enough money to forego grading make the decision easier 

i am not alone in this thought 

and I didn’t mention the Tats which many problem have a problem with 

You are not alone. But, will the loss in your business and others be offset by the crazy demand CGC is experiencing these days from people who are only just discovering this market in both comics and cards? That's the question CGC pondered and we are now seeing what conclusion they came to.

2 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Are they though? I don't think price was ever a factor in the competition. They were already cheaper and had some pretty awesome discount promotions. But hey, if this ends up further legitimizing the competition in the market, then I have some slabs that will benefit greatly from it. And if the competition gets more demand, than that means turn around times will lower at CGC. Sounds like a win all around.

There have definitely been dealers who said they are not sending to CGC any more. I interpret that as going somewhere else. Yeah it certainly doesn't bother me if that happens. Makes no difference to me in the grand scheme of things. I'm just surprised they are doing it. 

58 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

Here's a follow up

Why would I pay more for something that has longer turn around times and inconsistent grading

I'm not saying I'm sending elsewhere but if the book I'm selling sells for $100 9.8 why would i wait 3-4 months to get the book rejected when i can sell it today for $40

I have been thinking about submitting elsewhere. I have some collecting goals that are close to being complete so I will finish with CGC for those. Going forward I am going to start submitting elsewhere I think. I am finding the influx of of new collectors not really caring so much about where it is graded PGX withstanding.

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

You are not alone. But, will the loss in your business and others be offset by the crazy demand CGC is experiencing these days from people who are only just discovering this market in both comics and cards? That's the question CGC pondered and we are now seeing what conclusion they came to.

If it’s anything like what I’ve seen on the trading card front. I don’t think new customers will put up with a lot that we did 

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

If it’s anything like what I’ve seen on the trading card front. I don’t think new customers will put up with a lot that we did 

But they will have to do their complaints on IG, Twitter, Etc.. Due to them getting banned or Sin Binned pretty quick here.. Already have seen several just vanish into the ether.  20201031_224050.jpg.417729b2d3f9c22500f3b3faef4d073c.jpg

On 4/29/2021 at 6:55 PM, wombat said:

There have definitely been dealers who said they are not sending to CGC any more. I interpret that as going somewhere else. Yeah it certainly doesn't bother me if that happens. Makes no difference to me in the grand scheme of things. I'm just surprised they are doing it. 

There have been plenty of dealers that have not been sending books in to any grading company over the years.  I have mostly seen this with mid grade books as grading would unnecessarily cut into their profit margins.  Despite what the Facebook groups want people to believe there is no reason to slab 5.0-7.5 copies of non key ASM Silver.   I remember last being at NYCC and seeing copies of ASM 28 in the 4.0-5.5 range ungraded in Reece's bins.  This past fall I purchased raw copies of earlier ASM Goblin issues. 

I don't know if there is an increase in traffic to go to other companies but there are a lot of books that go ungraded and with a price hike and increase in turnaround times, I suspect that there will be a lot more.

Also keep in mind that slabs are a lot more cumbersome to take back and forth to shows than a box of raw books.