• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Market is just crazy stupid right now
6 6

331 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, IronMan_Cave said:

I feel so defeated, waiting 2-3 weeks for end of auction only to see the books that I want go way over my budget, and my budget is way over GPA, but apparently not high enough

it's so frustrating :frustrated:

Same happened with me. And I feared that even if I did raise it higher, I would have still been beaten out. There are some cases where if someone out there has the money, they don't care how much they are overpaying. They just want the book now.

26 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Same happened with me. And I feared that even if I did raise it higher, I would have still been beaten out. There are some cases where if someone out there has the money, they don't care how much they are overpaying. They just want the book now.

Up until this morning, the book I wanted was at 3.8K,  my budget was 5K..... So I said, yes I think I have a chance......

then an hour before the auction ended, the price jumped to 4.8K, I was like oh **** !!!......so I said maybe I need to stretch my budget to 5.8K.......

then a few minutes before it ended, price jumped again to 5.8K ....m****f***er*!!! let's do this!!......so a few seconds before it ended I bid 6.2K...

.....aannnnddd I still lost! .....final price was 6.5K

GODDAMNIT!!!

Edited by IronMan_Cave

1 minute ago, IronMan_Cave said:

Up until this morning, the book I wanted was at 3.8K,  my budget was 5K..... So I said, yes I think I have a chance......

then an hour before the auction ended, the price jumped to 4.8K, I was like oh !!!......so I said maybe I need to stretch my budget to 5.8K.......

then a few minutes before it ended, price jumped again to 5.8K ....*spoon*!!! let's do this!!......so a few seconds before it ended I bid 6.2K...

GODDAMNIT!!!

what was the book?

Sounds to me like the kind of fight you’d see all the time on eBay, even years before this last decade’s speculator boom, where the deep-pocketed would blow their opponents out of the water with whatever ammunition was necessary to win their coveted item.

Now it’s just taken to an ever extreme level.  It became theoretical for me a long time ago.

I put in a few bids in the current CLink auction. Not sure why, maybe just morbid curiosity about just how far off I'll be from having a chance at winning? 

Such a strange time. Logic cries out "Sell! Sell! Sell it all! This can't last!"

But...I just can't let everything go. "What if?" 

9 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

I think that's another word for digital books

Partly for me, also being simply priced out.

Edited by Ken Aldred

4 hours ago, IronMan_Cave said:

then an hour before the auction ended, the price jumped to 4.8K, I was like oh **** !!!......so I said maybe I need to stretch my budget to 5.8K.......

then a few minutes before it ended, price jumped again to 5.8K ....m****f***er*!!! let's do this!!......so a few seconds before it ended I bid 6.2K...

GODDAMNIT!!!

Frustrating but I think you did yourself a favour by not winning and paying over your budget. 
my advice ( and just my opinion ) is to just sit tight and wait. You may get luckier next time if we see a general market decrease. 
If it doesn’t and it holds, then join my gang of being comfortable that you ts just out of my price range the same way that Aston Martin cars and first class air travel are ! 

1 hour ago, The lips said:

and first class air travel are ! 

Sign up for travel rewards cards and you too can occasionally enjoy the perks of First/Business Class.  Let's face it, if we're going to start dropping 4 figures on key comic books, you might as well get some sort of reward out of it.

Edited by ExNihilo

3 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Sign up for travel rewards cards and you too can occasionally enjoy the perks of First/Business Class.  Let's face it, if we're going to start dropping 4 figures on key comic books, you might as well get some sort of reward out of it.

Not all Ferrari’s lose value.