• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old Guard says Market Bubble vs New Guard says Market Correction. What say you?
1 1

209 posts in this topic

Well thaaat video was about moneey. I thought that the talk of market crash (before this year) has been nonsense because of ebay which corrects prices constantly on different comics. Its not like in the 90's when people had huge stacks of "valuable" comics not knowing what is the real going value.
Today's market thou yeah I think the prices will go down a lot. Maybe not this year but maybe 2023? 
Other than that the video was kinda same stuff under the sun. That guy talked that all comics are undervalued and if you switch to watch some comicbook youtuber he will tell you that this comic is undervalued and that one also... but yeah I still don't understand why people slab 90% of their comics...

50 minutes ago, the blob said:

Other than anecdotal "I heard guys in the store", what is the evidence that these enormous increases for many books are due to folks who weren't interested in comics a year ago? i've been reading here about "card guys" going back into comics for 15 years. We see new folks showing up here getting into comics. They spend money on stuff old geezers think is nuts (says the guy who just spend $250 on a Goon 2 9.8...). And new guys sometimes stick. I got back into comics in 1993 after having lost interest since about 1985/1986. I was a new guy then. I think plenty of people here got back into them. Sure, it is true, some of the card guys may have never been into them and there isn't that childhood nostalgia thing going on, but I honestly don't think that is what has kept me in for almost 30 years.

I do try to look at my buyers to gauge whether they are long term or short term collectors, but I'm not selling slabs, mostly, although I am selling hot books. The guy who paid $75 for my raw MCP 72 looks like he has been buying comics on the account since 2018. more recently he has a few sales. My guess he is thinking of getting it pressed and slabbed. And with 9.6 prices where they are, maybe not a bad idea. the guy who paid $50 for my wolverine 88 does look like he was a card guy. the guy who paid $45 for my sam wilson 3 has been a comics guy for a while. the guy who paid hundreds for my FF Annual 6 has been a comics guy for a while. the guy who paid $125 for my SIKTC has been buying comics a while, looks like he is probably getting it slabbed to flip. my triple digit thundercats buyers seem to be nostalgia buys, although both dabble in comics. Anyway, I'm throwing these out there because these were definitely 2021 prices sales. Some random BA Cap book selling for $15-20 because folks got interested in Cap/Falcon due to the show is a bit different.

Well, at my local con (held in a firehouse in Northern VA), attendance is at an all-time high these last couple months.  To the point where parking is suddenly hard to find and attendance has to be metered, with a line out the door.  (No, not a result of COVID -- this con has been taking place before COVID and throughout COVID, and this peak in attendance is a new thing).

You'll likely also take this as anecdotal, but I'm noticing more vendors dealing exclusively in modern books (one of which was situated right next to Gene Carpenter and his stunning collection of pre-code Horror, War and beautiful SA books.  The effect was almost comical).  Also at the local con, the influx of new guys seem to be concentrating at the card vendors first, then moving over to the comic vendors -- they're on opposite sides of the view.

2 minutes ago, RonS2112 said:

Well, at my local con (held in a firehouse in Northern VA), attendance is at an all-time high these last couple months.  To the point where parking is suddenly hard to find and attendance has to be metered, with a line out the door.  (No, not a result of COVID -- this con has been taking place before COVID and throughout COVID, and this peak in attendance is a new thing).

You'll likely also take this as anecdotal, but I'm noticing more vendors dealing exclusively in modern books (one of which was situated right next to Gene Carpenter and his stunning collection of pre-code Horror, War and beautiful SA books.  The effect was almost comical).  Also at the local con, the influx of new guys seem to be concentrating at the card vendors first, then moving over to the comic vendors -- they're on opposite sides of the view.

Sounds like the Valiant days

8 minutes ago, Dr. Dank said:

I look at a piece of paper and say it's "worth" a number printed on it.

All the same to me. That paper is backed by about as much as crypto is. Just because this guy says what he thinks, doesn't mean it's gospel

It is a fake asset just like internet stocks had stupid valuations in 2000. OK? It has some value as a trading tool, no doubt, but $1000 into $300 million is just nonsensical. Eventually it is going to crash. And to keep on pointing to the dollar or Euro also as imaginary concepts...currencies backed by governments of huge, real economies, is silly. We do not even know who created bitcoin. Those governments will prop up those currencies. Who will do that for bitcoin? Listen, I don't know squat about how it all works either and maybe my brain has not evolved to the point of being able to comprehend it. I am not playing with it, but when it crashes, it will take us all down with it.

Just now, the blob said:

It is a fake asset just like internet stocks had stupid valuations in 2000. OK? It has some value as a trading tool, no doubt, but $1000 into $300 million is just nonsensical. Eventually it is going to crash. And to keep on pointing to the dollar or Euro also as imaginary concepts...currencies backed by governments of huge, real economies, is silly. We do not even know who created bitcoin. Those governments will prop up those currencies. Who will do that for bitcoin? Listen, I don't know squat about how it all works either and maybe my brain has not evolved to the point of being able to comprehend it. I am not playing with it, but when it crashes, it will take us all down with it.

Yeah but paper money is backed by squat as well. It won't be crypto causing a crash, it'll be people not believing the system anymore.

The whole thing is nonsensical, but as long as my job  pays me in a way that feeds me and keeps a roof over my head, I'll play.

BTW I don't own any crypto, just fascinated by both sides of the fence on what constitutes currency. Hell, some societies used stones with holes in them at some point 

17 minutes ago, RonS2112 said:

Does/did VA have capacity restrictions for events like this?

I'd go to a con now. I've been vaccinated. I am pretty comfortable about masks and such.

I would not have gone in August.

There is a lot of pent up demand for this stuff.

Ebay is fine and all, but paying $4-8 shipping on every order and taxes makes a lot of books not worth buying. If you're buying a $15 book you practically need it to double in value for it to begin to be worth selling. Even a $30 book often costs $38 after shipping and taxes. You need a 50% bump to begin to break even.

Shipping (and taxes) are what make me decide not to buy stuff. So I am tending to buy more expensive stuff where the shipping is less of a portion of the price.

So I can totally see why shows are the place to go.

Also, what do you consider a modern book? Stuff from the last 5 years or stuff from 1993 onward?

And since when is people coming to shows a bad thing? I'd see folks posting pic of small local shows over the years and, frankly, they looked empty and depressing. The guy in Buffalo, those pics are sad. 

Edited by the blob

1 minute ago, Dr. Dank said:

Yeah but paper money is backed by squat as well. It won't be crypto causing a crash, it'll be people not believing the system anymore.

The whole thing is nonsensical, but as long as my job  pays me in a way that feeds me and keeps a roof over my head, I'll play.

BTW I don't own any crypto, just fascinated by both sides of the fence on what constitutes currency. Hell, some societies used stones with holes in them at some point 

It is backed by huge governments with armies and vast police powers and taxing powers and other resources who have an interest in keeping them afloat. That we don't have a gold or silver bar to back the pile of bills is not critical.

What is bitcoin backed by? Just trust it seems. Elon Musk seems to be interested in it, so maybe that's enough, I dunno.

Just now, the blob said:

It is backed by huge governments with armies and vast police powers and taxing powers and other resources who have an interest in keeping them afloat. That we don't have a gold or silver bar to back the pile of bills is not critical.

What is bitcoin backed by? Just trust it seems. Elon Musk seems to be interested in it, so maybe that's enough, I dunno.

It's backed by governments with armies and all the rest as well.

Besides what good are governments? Myanmar is currently run by a drug dealer with a army. We call it a government because drug dealer sounds bad.

2 hours ago, the blob said:

OH, so you're talking about stumbling into raw books that get high CGC grades, yaddah yaddah. this is entirely speculative and requires hunting and an eye for these things. I am talking about sales prices of 9.8s. Not "I could have turned a dollar box book into a $1000 CGC 9.8" And entirely personal (and anecdotal) to what you happened to be buying. 

Yes, i paid 65 cents for my NYX 3. I don't think I could have done better buying Apple stock at its complete bottom of 50 cent a share.

Yup I have stumbling into raw books for 10 years now. :ohnoez:

16 minutes ago, Dr. Dank said:

people not believing will be crypto causing a crash. I wonder if this could all be wrecked by a virus?

1 minute ago, NewWorldOrder said:

Yup I have stumbling into raw books for 10 years now. :ohnoez:

But the discussion was not about you. We are looking at prices being paid by collectors on ebay. The market. Not whether you are a genius at finding the right raw books to slab.

2 minutes ago, the blob said:

But the discussion was not about you. We are looking at prices being paid by collectors on ebay. The market. Not whether you are a genius at finding the right raw books to slab.

No it was about me proving my point that is easier to make money from comics for the past 20 years than average investing.  I am saying if people had the same work structure they could out perform their stock portfolio by 500%.  Its not that hard. 

No it was about me proving my point that is easier to make money from comics for the past 20 years than average investing.  I am saying if people had the same work structure they could out perform their stock portfolio by 500%.  Its not that hard. 

Golf clap.  

I think it's interesting and can see these prices becoming the new norm but I am absolutely taking profit on a lot of my books earlier than I had planned, particularly early X-Men and ASM. I will probably continue to hold books like IH181, GSX1, DD1, and FF5 until they're in the MCU. 

Ironic since I just bought shares in between replying to Bob and you.  Go figure. 

Ironic since you correlated getting into stocks as finding the next Amazon.com 

2 minutes ago, rsouxlja7 said:

I think it's interesting and can see these prices becoming the new norm but I am absolutely taking profit on a lot of my books earlier than I had planned, particularly early X-Men and ASM. I will probably continue to hold books like IH181, GSX1, DD1, and FF5 until they're in the MCU. 

If Movie's have been announced they are already in.  Be ahead of the crowd,  not following it.