• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Sellers have luck selling comics on ebid.net?
1 1

26 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, cigars&comix said:

there are no more comic book categories, basically making it impossible for a seasoned and unseasoned comic book collector to navigate and find comic books by era or genre.

Are you kidding me?  I'll have to take a look.  Thats such a bad move on their part.  Wonder what would even spur that decision.

I checked out Ebid years ago as a buyer and was very disappointed. The filtering sucks and the offerings were horrible.

This next statement is in no way directed at the OP, but in my experience with eBay alternatives like mercari, ebid, Amazon, etsy, etc they usually seem to just be a vehicle for eBay sellers to ask even more over FMV than usual in hopes of finding a unknowledgeable buyer who will pay ridiculous prices. For a while I thought mercari was full of deals before I realized they were all fraud. Waugh waugh. Having said that, as with any place where a human sells an item to another human,  I know there are deals to be found and stories of great scores, but as a whole I've personally mostly seen annoyingly overpriced stuff being listed. 

3 hours ago, comicquant said:
5 hours ago, cigars&comix said:

there are no more comic book categories, basically making it impossible for a seasoned and unseasoned comic book collector to navigate and find comic books by era or genre.

Are you kidding me?  I'll have to take a look.  Thats such a bad move on their part.  Wonder what would even spur that decision.

There are still searchable categories for comics, eras and genres, on both the UK and US versions as far as I can see:

Capture.thumb.PNG.25ba8ca1b9d6fcd44f5ed48b31541cdb.PNG

I've bought a handful of things on eBid down the years and had no issues. When using it for research, I found many of the sellers had the same books up on eBay - there wasn't much exclusive to eBid.

I've never thought of selling there though. There's something about it that just feels 'unprotected' - a bit amateurish. I could be wrong here, but I get the feeling some of the sellers died 30 years ago and have forgotten their books are even listed there.

12 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

There are still searchable categories for comics, eras and genres, on both the UK and US versions as far as I can see:

Try clicking on one of those categories on the left side..do you see comic books for sale on the next page? I didnt.

When I click golden age, I got a page telling me about the history of golden age comics. let me know.

39 minutes ago, cigars&comix said:

Try clicking on one of those categories on the left side..do you see comic books for sale on the next page? I didnt.

When I click golden age, I got a page telling me about the history of golden age comics. let me know.

Here we go, 54 listings for Gold (with no search parameter) on the UK site, and 141 on the US - UK example below:

Capture.thumb.PNG.d84e28f8fc3bef50a29b9f50bbcc0765.PNG

I might buy a new pair of Vans as it goes. Proper trendy, me :)

1 minute ago, cigars&comix said:

why dont i get that? can you post the URL?

This URL...

https://www.ebid.net/us/buy/books-comics-magazines/comics/us-comics/golden-age-1938-55/

...gives me (in the UK) this:

Capture.thumb.PNG.3fca3da4cc238119e2b8c09e21c75cdb.PNG

141 results.

It might be because I'm in the UK - I find results often vary by county. 

19 minutes ago, cigars&comix said:

wait thats ebid, my complaint was about EBay. LOL. Miscommunication.

lol 

My mistake I think, rereading your early posts :eek:

try doing the same thing on ebay. thats where the issue is, thats why Im looking for other venues.

OK, on eBay (ahem)...

Without a search parameter I get as you said:

Capture.thumb.PNG.619269e41751c32acfdec56d6301051f.PNG

Add 'comics' and...

Captureb.thumb.PNG.643d77c89de950c5ce40d4ee9f2438bc.PNG

11 hours ago, comicquant said:

Wonder what would even spur that decision.

Ebay wants to become Amazon Jr.  

They started down this road 5 years ago. The second to last part was the managed payments for their sellers, like Amazon. And now this. Broad, non-specific categories to dissuade auctions, which will eventually be dropped altogether. Maybe along the way to doing away with the auctions they'll adopt sie other Amazon-like policies and features. But that's why this. Just another step towards their long term goal.