• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Memorable lines of dialogue
1 1

12 posts in this topic

What are some of the best, funniest, silliest, scariest, or simply memorable lines you've read in a comic. It can be any age, any book. I'm not asking for catch phrases so much (Hulk smash, etc.) but just lines that made an impact.

I came across this doozy recently while prepping an auction. It's from ACTION COMICS #331, spoken by Superman as Clark Kent pretending to be Superman:

"Help! Pull me up! And get this pigeon off my head!"

One of my favorite things about silver age DC Comics was their willingness to be very silly sometimes, and this just typifies it for me.

-- Joanna

I always liked Stan Lee's Dr. Strange 'hoary hosts of hoggoth' thing. Where the hell did he come up with this stuff? grin.gif

On a more serious tone, Green Lantern 76 had a memorable line where an African-American asks GL 'You've helped the purple skins from this planet and the green skins from this planet, but what about the black skins on Earth?' (something like that). GL couldn't give an answer. Great run of books if you haven't read them.

I've got most of the GL/GA books. I'm going to have to sell them (everything that will sell has to go), but I really enjoyed them. I don't think any of my copies are in NM shape, but if someone wants a copy to read, talk to me. I think I have from 79 up. One of them is signed by Denny O'Neill, too! (I know most people think that wrecks the book, but since these aren't minty, I think it adds to the coolness. I got the auto myself, so I know it's real).

-- Joanna

THere's a pretty good discussion about that line in the current CBG. A reader wrote in that GL should have told the guy to blow, because he saved the world a bunch of times and didn't discriminate on skin color when he was, in fact, saving the world.

Bear with me, this is off the top of my head so I don't know if I have the quote exact. It was spoken by Green Arrow from one of the GL/GA drug issues. As he was coming down from a bad trip he said : " I feel like 200 lbs of boiled inner tube". crazy.gif

Always loved FF's The Thing's lines that included his ever lovin' Aunt Petunia. Also, Thor and Silver Surfer waxing eloquently about love lost in the starways and cosmic justice. Stan Lee must've had a ball thinking up all that high falutin' monologue! smile.gif

How about memorable splash pg headlines like silver FF #60? w/ S Surfer "If this be Doomsday" or Avengers 58 "Even an Android can Cry." Or the overused Battle/Clash of the Titans (Teen Titans by Perez non-baxter format) or silver Marvel.

I can't believe I'm the first one to mention this one...it's the obvious choice!!! I'm not saying that Stan Lee was way greater than Kirby or Ditko, but I don't think anybody can reasonably convince me that either one of those artists could have written the panels below!

Spidey42_last_page.jpg