• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BUYERS BEWARE of Wilhelm F. Uthe Ripoff Artist
2 2

209 posts in this topic

Awesome news! I get giddy every time a scumbag goes to jail.

In Europe they'd say that his crime was caused by the fact that (i) society wronged him or (ii) he had a bad childhood ...

Who knows: perhaps Uthe has a heart of gold (thumbs u

Awesome news! I get giddy every time a scumbag goes to jail.

In Europe they'd say that his crime was caused by the fact that (i) society wronged him or (ii) he had a bad childhood ...

Who knows: perhaps Uthe has a heart of gold (thumbs u

:facepalm:

In 1985 I lived in Bakersfield Ca. and saw an ad in the CBG from Wilhelm Uthe with a Detective #38 in VF for sale or trade $1800. I mailed him (not emailed) listing several comics I had that I would be willing to trade. He mailed back with the comics that he wanted which we agreed came to $600 in value. So I would ship the comics along with $1200 cashiers check.

At this time he had mailed his phone number along with a couple of U.S. references who he had had comic dealings with. I called one of the references and they said he was a good person to deal with. (make note to self to check background of references in future dealings) This guy was surely one of his U.S. buddies in on a cut of his scams.

At this point all seems to go well so I phone Wilhelm to go over the details. Yes this is a very expensive U.S. to Germany phone call but if he was at the number given me and we were to speak then deal should probably be OK. Wilhelm spoke fairly decent heavily German accented English and we agreed I would send the comics valued at $600 plus $1250 cashier check. The extra $50 was to cover the cost of his shipping the Det #38 to me. I was to pay shipping of my comics to him.

Comics were shipped with tracking info so I had proof of shipping. I get a letter from Wilhelm stating that he got the comic package but he had miscalculated the postage cost to ship the Det #38 to the states. I just need to send him an additional $160 and the Det #38 would be on its way. I called him and at this point he forgot how to speak English. I now about a week later get a letter entirely in German which I find out is threats if I don’t send the additional money.

I now decide to call the German Consulate in Los Angeles and discuss the issue with them. I make an appointment with them and take all of the letters and info I have to state my case. They get all the info and I wait to see what they can do. Several months go by and during this time they keep in touch with me and seem helpful. In the end they say he went to court/trial and was sentenced to three months in jail. I never received any of my comics or money back.

I had a house fire in 1997 and lost all my information I had on the case. I called the German consulate last Friday after reading this post and asked if they still had any info on the case I had against Wilhelm. I spoke with an individual who said most information is only kept for five years.

I would love to know his ebay ID’s so I could see the comics he’s selling these days.

Well here it is 22 years later and I’m sure Wilhelm is doing quite well with all the rip-off stories in this post along with who knows how many others. He probably will in one way or another read this post and get a good laugh or get a warm fuzzy feeling of the good ole days. Wilhelm you will one day be held accountable for all your actions.

Here is my Uthe tale I posted in this thread back in 2007. The events took place in 1985. Still waiting for my Tec38.

Wilhelm PM me for my new address so we can close out this deal.

Sincerely your pal in the USA. Leroy

Maybe it's already been said, but prudence dictates if I'm going to lay out thousands, I am going to be sitting down at a table across from the seller or a booth and it's going to go down that way. No WAY I'm sending 10k across seas for any book without it being in my reach before I sign checks or money orders. Why not just answer those Nigerian emails we get from "Mrs. Robotham" whose "husband" just "died" and she "needs" my bank account to hide his "millions"?

Beyond that, I only buy from established dealers or selling houses. yeah, I might have to pay a nominal "buyers fee", but I know I will get the books I ordered. Can't believe in this time in which we live, collectors allow themselves to fall victim this way.

I can't believe after all these years on the boards I'm just now reading about Wilhelm F. Uthe for the first time. My fuzzy brain forgets most transactions over the years, but this guy I remember pretty clearly. He's the reason that for years I wouldn't sell to anybody outside the US.

Back in the late 90's, he won an auction from me on eBay. I think it was several high-grade Mighty Midget Comics. After winning the auction, he didn't like the postage I was charging (which was stated clearly in the auction). He became livid. I decided not to sell to him. He accused me of being all kinds of things (which, seeing this post, I now find rather ironic). He paid nothing and I shipped nothing, so in the end I lost nothing. Judging by all the stories of people who've been ripped off by this clown, I'm pretty lucky that I lost nothing in my dealings with him.

What really stood out for me was that when I said I wouldn't sell to him, he threatened to have somebody come and physically harm me. I didn't believe he was capable of it, but I was also incredulous that he'd even threaten it and I had the smallest of concerns that, since the guy was going so psycho over a few books, there was some small chance he could be serious. I discussed the matter with the local police. The evidence I showed them was sufficient that if he were in the U.S. he'd have been arrested for the threats. Since he was out of the country there was nothing they could do.

Now that I know what a dirtbag he is, I'm glad to see him being outed here on the boards.

I have gotten a few private messages about this matter and thought I’d share where we are. I have not been active on the boards for a very long time, so thank you for your interest and sympathy.

I have been in touch with Comicconnect/ Metropolis Comics ever since I noticed the book in the upcoming auction earlier today. They have reacted right away and I am thankful for them being very helpful. I am now certain of a correct and rightful outcome.

Edited by Palamas

Seeing this thread for the first time.

In the early to mid-80's I attempted a trade for some Timely keys (including Red Raven, Submariner 1).

Shipped many thousands of dollars worth of books to him (including Sensation 1 and Wonder Woman 1).

Never got anything from him, never saw any of my books again.

As far as I'm concerned he still owes me thousands of dollars worth of key comics.

Wow, is that guy still around? Say it ain't so. Way back in the 80's I tried to do a trade with him for a Human Torch #9. He sent it and I got it and I sent my books. Then he started beating me up about grades and wanted me to toss in about the same amount of additional books. I said no and told him if he wanted the Torch back, he would have to return my books and I would return his. I didn't lose anything except my postage and a LOT of time. Had to communicate through snail mail then. He was a real tool. Never did get a Torch #9. Everytime I see one I think of this. Real bad experience...

10 hours ago, Palamas said:

I just noticed my Action Comics #7 in the upcoming ComicConnect auction and have contacted them about it. I am very excited about this and hope this thing will finally come to an end after almost a decade. 

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=732860

George, is that you?  If so, it is good to see you back even under these circumstances.  Yes, Uthe is infamous and so hard to understand how he still operates.  Regrettably when I see a German seller, I think it may be him and shy away. 

Glad CC is being so responsive.  

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 5:47 AM, Palamas said:

I just noticed my Action Comics #7 in the upcoming ComicConnect auction and have contacted them about it. I am very excited about this and hope this thing will finally come to an end after almost a decade. 

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=732860

I take it that's its your book and you are getting it back. I just saw this topic for the first time and I am lost.