• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Other than comics, what do you collect?
5 5

My Other Hobby  

5 members have voted

1. 1. My Other Hobby

440 posts in this topic

P.S.: I have no idea about the market and availability of Hong Kong posters. I would imagine that the highly desirable stuff would be Bruce Lee (of course) and Shaw Brothers material.

hail.gif

I think you've just screwed me into a grail hunt for this:

1329857-Five-element.jpg

Reminds me of this movie. Haven't seen it in 20 years now.

five-deadly-venoms-affiche_f7aaff28f62dc3da176bae815edcafd8.jpg

Goalie masks. If I have some time, I'll photograph the Spidey masks I've got (3 versions).

I've recently taken up buying vintage goalie masks, and acquired these two:

larocque_03.gif

dryden-a1.jpg

I gotta see the spidey masks...I play dek and I was gonna paint my mask up like venom.....eyes near the crown, teeth around the facemask, just gotta get the supplies.....

Here they are -- click the images for a larger view:

image1_sm.jpg

image3_sm.jpg  

image4_sm.jpg

image2_sm.jpg

image5_sm.jpg   image8_sm.jpg  

image6_sm.jpg   image7_sm.jpg  

It's got the same director (The Shaw Brother's mad genius Chang Cheh) and practically the same cast. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Five Element Ninja is the better film, for my money (and I've given that question more thought than probably 99.9999% of the world's population)

I collect comic art and some comic-related statues, but my wife and I try to collect a piece of art from every country we visit (all sorts of stuff, statues, paintings, mixed media, just whatever strikes our fancy that is representative of the region we visited).

In addition, we have been working on some Mexican Folk Art, such as the Alibrejes by the Linares family of Oaxaca. These are wildly imaginative papier mache pieces featuring bizarre creatures. We have several and hope to get more. The thing is, they are not particularly easy to display, because they are just plain bizarre. But we figure, so are we, so what the heck....

DSC00151.jpg

My wife has been collecting/Dealing in MEXICAN FOLK ART for about 15 years now ( www.siestalane.com ) grin.gif

Me, I like any kind of tortoise and hope to get an Aldabra or Galapagos one day. But for now I have these guys, Sulcatas

1330089-sulcata005.jpg

1330089-sulcata005.jpg.f17555a76a79b719e58cf5738d905c8b.jpg

Well, not so much "collect". I really don't collect things anymore. But I DO like to have a pleasant living environment, and the challenge of creating one in a small space (San Francsico "Studio +" - the "+" being a 6x9 walk in closet, is compelling.

I dislike the Vistorian concept of clutter. I love creating small areas of "display" that are both functional and beautiful. To this end I have combined three cultures: Japanese furntiure and art, African art and Indian (as in India) musical instruments and art.

The Japanese manifests itself in four Tansus and a lacquered Merchant Chest, one scroll, an iron hibachi, four original woodblocks and some vases and sundries. The African manifests itself in six masks, one Congo currency knife, a ceremonial spoon, and a "box". The Indian is reflected by Ragamala paintings (pictorial representations of the Ragas I play on the sitar and surbahar (a bass sitar)) and the instruments themsleves, which are beautiful works of art.

I guess you could say, if you want to usew the term "collect", that I collect "spaces". I love combining the various cultures into small, independent areas of display, each being both functional and aesthetically appealing.

I am finishing off my small dining area and then will post some photos to give an idea. it is a wonderful thing to try to create a place to live that, no matter where you look, there is beauty and calm.

Dagnabbit-all-to-heck!

Out of Kurosawa's films, my favorite would be a Seven Samurai poster, but it's the favorite of many, so I'll abstain.

I like Yojimbo because of what it spawned in Japanese cinema in the years that followed.

If I were to choose based on the films themselves, without the extra reference, I'd likely agree with you. Either that or Ran.

Ran is my favorite Kurosawa film and I have a type B original copy of the 1985 Japanese release. It is rolled up, not folded and I have never had it framed, therefore no pic as of yet. I bought it about 10 years ago. It is rather small at 20"by29", but it is beautiful. Can't say enough about Kurosawa.

Scott

Well, that guy is pretty cute. Have you been to the Galapagos? If not, I highly recommend a trip. Seeing the various tortoises and the differences in the way each species on each island evolved and adapted to its environment is absolutely amazing.

Here's a pic with one of the dudes:

127_steve_tortoise.jpg

My wife has been collecting/Dealing in MEXICAN FOLK ART for about 15 years now ( www.siestalane.com ) grin.gif

Me, I like any kind of tortoise and hope to get an Aldabra or Galapagos one day. But for now I have these guys, Sulcatas

1330089-sulcata005.jpg

On 1/27/2004 at 11:23 PM, COI said:

The last thing I need is another hobby digging into my wallet. Surprisingly, girls aren't interested in what grade my ASM #39 is in, especially when it means sacrificing a fancy meal for Burger King. It only works a couple of times before you end up getting Jr. Whoppers hurled at your head.

🤔 

On 5/11/2003 at 11:45 PM, Bronty said:

Murph,

Your comment...that's just being a [!@#%^&^]. makepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

However, I don't really care tongue.gif Sold that POS MS5 for good money.

Thinking I was smart for selling a 9.4 spotlight 5 for 600 or something lol .. priceless

On 5/11/2003 at 11:58 PM, delekkerste said:

I started collecting original comic art at the end of last year since I'm winding down my purchases of back issue comics. I've been focusing, for the most part, on commissions/covers/splashes/pin-ups (i.e., non-panel pages) featuring my favorite female characters, including Vampirella, Elektra, Red Sonja and Gwen Stacy, among others.

Despite picking up this new collecting hobby, I'm hoping to spend less time on all of my collecting pursuits going forward...as fun as it is, I get a lot more pleasure out of doing and experiencing things than simply accumulating stuff and writing about it on message boards wink.gif. Remember, it's not like you can take it with you when you die! 893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gif

Gene

@delekkerste 🤔 

On 5/12/2003 at 11:17 AM, chrisco37 said:

No kidding, Khaos! I'm still trying to make sense of Valis!!! May be time for a re-read....

Chris

How did that work out?