• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mylar Question; egerber.com, bcemylar.com or other?

37 posts in this topic

Did you ever find an answer to the question about whether the full-backs last as long as the Mylar bags? I realize this thread is 10 years old, but I was wondering this same thing recently. What's the point of having the convenience of not having to replace your bags for 100 years if you'll still have to replace the board every 5-10 years? The other reason I wanted to reply to a 10 year old thread is that you mentioned you'd check how your boards were doing in 10-15 years...well it's been 10 years :D So how are those boards?

I bought a few thousand half-backs for my moderns and a thousand or so full-backs for comics worth more than $20. I was going to buy full-backs for everything, but then I realized that not only is it not worth it for cheaper comics, a significant amount of the space my collection would have ended up taking would have been due to the boards. Once you board comics, you can only fit about 2/3 the number of comics into a box that you could fit if they were unboarded. I figured the full-backs would reduce that to about 1/2 the amount.

The other issue with boards is that even though Mylar is supposed to stay non-acidic for 100+ years, I haven't heard much about whether that's true for the Cole/Gerber boards or not. Cole and Gerber sell the boards with calcium carbonate in them, which makes them last longer without becoming acidic. But does that mean they never become acidic? I asked both Cole and Gerber this in email. The owner of Gerber said he wasn't sure and that he's heard it both ways--they last forever and they last 10 years--and Cole said they never need replacing.

I dunno...guess I'll look at 'em in about 10-15 years and see if they look yellowed!

Edited by Alex G

The only drawback with E. Gerber is that orders can NOT be done online

The one drawback that keeps me from ordering from E. Gerber. I know, a phone call isn't that big of a deal, but I'm possibly the laziest soul on the planet. Convenience is #1.

When I was in the USA, I called E. Gerber in Maryland all the time. The sales gal was VERY efficient and helpful with my order. I had my CC on file with them. No hassle whatsoever.

You're truly a LAZY guy if you can't extend yourself to a simple phone call! doh!

Now that I live here in Bangkok, I order my E. Gerber supplies through a 3rd party vendor and he ships to me from the USA via USPS Priority International (with tracking.) No problems whatsoever.

I get the Mylites2 for Standard Size books, Half-Backs for Standard Books, and then Archives for Golden Age Books.

I basically "double bag" my HIGH GRADE books with the Mylite2 and Archives with a Half Back.

It makes for a very sturdy combo and great protection IMO. :headbang:

E.Gerber = #1 in my book!

to everybody to call direct to EGerber to order, YOU GIVE THE CREDIT CARD NUMBER to that guys? very risky! or how you sent the money?

even they don't have paypal, his site is old, no way to place orders, pay online etc. I can't believe that they ever think made a real ecommerce, it's 2018!!!

8 minutes ago, spooncomic said:

to everybody to call direct to EGerber to order, YOU GIVE THE CREDIT CARD NUMBER to that guys? very risky! or how you sent the money?

even they don't have paypal, his site is old, no way to place orders, pay online etc. I can't believe that they ever think made a real ecommerce, it's 2018!!!

Once again in English please. 

2 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

The way it was phrased was a very good imitation of your pun thread !!

Satire is alive and well on the boards Bob :bigsmile:

5 minutes ago, spooncomic said:
7 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Once again in English please. 

meh!!!... who cares! my native language is NOT english, I bet you got my point and understand me, make fun of me is unnecessary.

I givemme creditcards numbers many times, and never any problems - kapeesh>?  Always quick shippers to my nation.

4 hours ago, spooncomic said:

meh!!!... who cares! my native language is NOT english, I bet you got my point and understand me, make fun of me is unnecessary.

You're right of course Mr Spoon, I'm sorry. I should have challenged the intent of your post, not the way you said it. Please accept my apology :foryou:

On 10/13/2002 at 3:01 AM, fantastic_four said:

I bought a few thousand half-backs for my moderns and a thousand or so full-backs for comics worth more than $20. I was going to buy full-backs for everything, but then I realized that not only is it not worth it for cheaper comics, a significant amount of the space my collection would have ended up taking would have been due to the boards. Once you board comics, you can only fit about 2/3 the number of comics into a box that you could fit if they were unboarded. I figured the full-backs would reduce that to about 1/2 the amount.

The other issue with boards is that even though Mylar is supposed to stay non-acidic for 100+ years, I haven't heard much about whether that's true for the Cole/Gerber boards or not. Cole and Gerber sell the boards with calcium carbonate in them, which makes them last longer without becoming acidic. But does that mean they never become acidic? I asked both Cole and Gerber this in email. The owner of Gerber said he wasn't sure and that he's heard it both ways--they last forever and they last 10 years--and Cole said they never need replacing.

I dunno...guess I'll look at 'em in about 10-15 years and see if they look yellowed!

Screenshot_2016-09-29-17-43-25-1.thumb.png.080fb2ee0cd949cc54af3108559b1127.png

:grin: