Amazing Spiderman Collecting Thread!
48 48

9,609 posts in this topic

565 posts
2 hours ago, Webhead2018 said:

Man I wish I had the money to warrant buy yesterday my lcs got a nice #100 in from a collection. But I just couldn't buy it right now. Curse bills that need to be paid lol. And #100 is only 100th issue I still need.

There are plenty out there for when it fits into your budget.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
225 posts

I am sure I will get this one from my lcs. I like getting oldies from my shop. As owner always gets a lot of great stuff from collections plus his collection he stores out of the shop. Plus most of the regulars who are spiderman guys likely already have said issue. Me and this other younger guy are ones trying to play catch up to older regulars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,085 posts

Some very strong results on HA today, most notably the 5 9.2 which sold for $9600.00

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30,072 posts
19 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

Some very strong results on HA today, most notably the 5 9.2 which sold for $9600.00

was looking at some potential upgrades, including this'un--was zeroed out IN A HURRY on all of 'em.   my little asm run might just end up as-is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,675 posts
19 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

Some very strong results on HA today, most notably the 5 9.2 which sold for $9600.00

I think I’ll have to settle for a 6.0 copy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
143 posts

 

Some really nice books posted in this thread recently.

I used to collect Silver Age Spidey, and sold most of my books probably 8-10 years ago.  Now that I check out some recent auction prices, I'm surprised on how much prices have gone up for issues 1-40 especially for the semi-keys like 9,13,14, etc.   Even low grade books are selling for much higher than I remember.  I'd like to pick up a couple of my favorite issues again, but I see it's going to cost me. lol

Edited by Mickey7
correction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
225 posts

Ya it's price of books. Sucks for being a younger fan in my 30s and trying to back collect now. Vs say even a good ten to 15 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33,299 posts
4 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

was looking at some potential upgrades, including this'un--was zeroed out IN A HURRY on all of 'em.   my little asm run might just end up as-is.

It’s a stinger but, if I’m being honest, I was never in the market for this book.  

As great an artist Ditko is, he couldn’t draw Doom.  It’s in the discussion for “worst Ditko cover 1-10”.  8 is the “worst”  book of the 1-10 run, but it’s got that sweet yellow cover.  I know people hate 10, but that’s a fun/good story.  

5 is just a middle of the road book.  Best thing it’s got going for it is “#5”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
429 posts
4 hours ago, Mickey7 said:

 

Some really nice books posted in this thread recently.

I used to collect Silver Age Spidey, and sold most of my books probably 8-10 years ago.  Now that I check out some recent auction prices, I'm surprised on how much prices have gone up for issues 1-40 especially for the semi-keys like 9,13,14, etc.   Even low grade books are selling for much higher than I remember.  I'd like to pick up a couple of my favorite issues again, but I see it's going to cost me. lol

It's gotten to the point where almost all Spidey issues 20 and under are considered keys. You mentioned 14 as a semi-key but it's actually a major key close to the level of # 3. I took a poll here a couple of months ago asking which one was a bigger key and the responses were split almost evenly. The advice I was given was to get both, so I did.:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
143 posts

You are right.  I didn't give good examples of "semi" keys, as 14 is certainly a major key.  (thumbsu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 posts
On 2/22/2019 at 5:28 PM, Webhead2018 said:

Ya it's price of books. Sucks for being a younger fan in my 30s and trying to back collect now. Vs say even a good ten to 15 years ago.

I hear you. I’m worried the prices will discourage others in our age group from getting back into the hobby. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
225 posts

Ya one of the reasons I have no gone for any silver in awhile. Besides real life money issues bills and loans lol. I mostly been sticking to more modern and bronze age lately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,377 posts
On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 5:14 PM, Jordysnordy said:

Some very strong results on HA today, most notably the 5 9.2 which sold for $9600.00

Also noticed the #3 CGC 9.2 went for $15600.00 :whatthe:

lf?set=path%5B2%2F0%2F2%2F5%2F4%2F20254071%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
225 posts

Wow that nuts. I wish my 3 was in that shape but it had bad creases, tape and writing in the cover. I bet if I slab mine it be between 2.0 and 5.0.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,377 posts
6 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

well, my mission to take the run from 39 thru 12/69 in slabbed 9.0, min., began last nite [other than my many raw books that are still at cgc]--got this pretty one of h'tage.

asm63-1.jpg

That's a gorgeous book with stunning colors!  Congrats :golfclap:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,028 posts
9 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

well, my mission to take the run from 39 thru 12/69 in slabbed 9.0, min., began last nite [other than my many raw books that are still at cgc]--got this pretty one of h'tage.

asm63-1.jpg

This book is really tough in high grade -- congrats!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
759 posts
On 2/22/2019 at 7:58 PM, chrisco37 said:

It’s a stinger but, if I’m being honest, I was never in the market for this book.  

As great an artist Ditko is, he couldn’t draw Doom.  It’s in the discussion for “worst Ditko cover 1-10”.  8 is the “worst”  book of the 1-10 run, but it’s got that sweet yellow cover.  I know people hate 10, but that’s a fun/good story.  

5 is just a middle of the road book.  Best thing it’s got going for it is “#5”.

Has anyone read 5? I heard it was a doombot and possibly not an “actual” doom appearance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
429 posts

Doom is a major part of the story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,377 posts

Having enjoyed the Ditko issues of ASM, I’ve now started exploring Romita’s tenure. Of his first few years working on the title, I’m curious what issues boarders feel are Romita/Lee’s best (and why)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
48 48