• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,793 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

So, um, anybody get the Mile High copy of Four Color #386?  I was the underbidder but just could not come up with more funds.:cry:

https://hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/224078/FOUR-COLOR-386-MARCH-1952-CGC-90-VFNM-UNCLE-SCROOGE-DONALD-DUCK-MILE-HIGH-PEDIGREE

Watching those some really amazing prices :cry:

Edited by comicjack

1 hour ago, Badger said:

So, um, anybody get the Mile High copy of Four Color #386?  I was the underbidder but just could not come up with more funds.:cry:

https://hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/224078/FOUR-COLOR-386-MARCH-1952-CGC-90-VFNM-UNCLE-SCROOGE-DONALD-DUCK-MILE-HIGH-PEDIGREE

Not me.  I did bid on it, but I thought it went way high.  I bought a 9.0 OW-W not much more than a year ago for well less than half that hammer price.

I know the allure of chasing Church copies -- and Lord knows I've done it! -- but I think that was just too large a premium when you consider there are 19 other copies in that grade and 16 copies in higher grades. 

Just now, Sqeggs said:

Not me.  I did bid on it, but I thought it went way high.  I bought a 9.0 OW-W not much more than a year ago for well less than half that hammer price.

I know the allure of chasing Church copies -- and Lord knows I've done it! -- but I think that was just too large a premium when you consider there are 19 other copies in that grade and 16 copies in higher grades. 

The problem is that there are almost no known Church Duck books.  If you collect Duck and you want a pedigree of 386 this is THE one to have in my opinion.  I went to slightly above 9k but drew the line there.

9 minutes ago, Badger said:

The problem is that there are almost no known Church Duck books.  If you collect Duck and you want a pedigree of 386 this is THE one to have in my opinion.  I went to slightly above 9k but drew the line there.

That's a good point.  I can see your reason for chasing it.  When I lose with a high bid like that, I usually tell myself that the winner would have kept on bidding, so I would have lost in the end anyway.  Not always true, of course, but it's kind of consoling. 

Do we know where this book came from?  Presumably not from Veryzl's collection, which is (I think) where the other Church Four Colors being sold recently on Heritage came from.  

Does seem odd that this single Church Duck Four Color should surface on Hake's. And, for what it's worth, FC 386 doesn't seem to have been listed in Chuck's catalog. 

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

That's a good point.  I can see your reason for chasing it.  When I lose with a high bid like that, I usually tell myself that the winner would have kept on bidding, so I would have lost in the end anyway.  Not always true, of course, but it's kind of consoling. 

Do we know where this book came from?  Presumably not from Veryzl's collection, which is (I think) where the other Church Four Colors being sold recently on Heritage came from.  

Does seem odd that this single Church Duck Four Color should surface on Hake's. And, for what it's worth, FC 386 doesn't seem to have been listed in Chuck's catalog. 

It is strange that it has been hiding out all this time.  Where did it come from and why Hakes?  I'm betting it was Geppi's myself which explains the Hakes connection.  There was a thread on the boards a few years ago about a FC #12 Church copy which got a little excitement and speculation.  Still a FC #12 is no where near the league of this one.  Tomorrow I will probably be kicking myself for not bidding more when I see it listed somewhere for 15k.

Just now, Badger said:

It is strange that it has been hiding out all this time.  Where did it come from and why Hakes?  I'm betting it was Geppi's myself which explains the Hakes connection.  There was a thread on the boards a few years ago about a FC #12 Church copy which got a little excitement and speculation.  Still a FC #12 is no where near the league of this one.  Tomorrow I will probably be kicking myself for not bidding more when I see it listed somewhere for 15k.

Could be Geppi.  I don't see any Church coding (old or new) on the cover, so I assume the CGC graders were having to rely on the book's provenance.  Odd that Chuck never mentioned its existence when speculating on why the Church collection was so light on funny animal books.  Even in the early 1970s, FC 386 was a well known book -- you might even argue that it was more highly regarded in the hobby then than it is now.

Chuck sold books before he prepared the catalog, but, obviously, he saw all the books he sold off to early buyers, so he would have known if one of those books was FC 386.  Not to say his not mentioning it doesn't mean it wasn't there, of course. 

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Could be Geppi.  I don't see any Church coding (old or new) on the cover, so I assume the CGC graders were having to rely on the book's provenance.  Odd that Chuck never mentioned its existence when speculating on why the Church collection was so light on funny animal books.  Even in the early 1970s, FC 386 was a well known book -- you might even argue that it was more highly regarded in the hobby then than it is now.

Chuck sold books before he prepared the catalog, but, obviously, he saw all the books he sold off to early buyers, so he would have known if one of those books was FC 386.  Not to say his not mentioning it doesn't mean it wasn't there, of course. 

It is odd that Chuck never said, "There was one stand out Duck book!" but maybe he just forgot through the decades?(shrug)  FC 386 was a big book in the 70s and 80s as I remember it.  

Not all Church books from the 50s have the coding on the cover.  I do not know if they have the check marks or whatever inside the book though.

Edited by Badger
corrected after correction

39 minutes ago, Badger said:

It is odd that Chuck never said, "There was one stand out Duck book!" but maybe he just forgot through the decades?(shrug)  FC 386 was a big book in the 70s and 80s as I remember it.  

Church books from the 50s do not have the coding on the cover.  I do not know if they have the check marks or whatever inside the book though.

Some 1950's Church books do have coding (although not the type that was on the earlier books).  Note the "D" on the cover of this book from roughly the same period as FC 386.

Another book from a recent submission with godawful Newton rings. :cry:

2018-07-12-0001_zpsoxely5sr.JPG

7 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Some 1950's Church books do have coding (although not the type that was on the earlier books).  Note the "D" on the cover of this book from roughly the same period as FC 386.

Another book from a recent submission with godawful Newton rings. :cry:

2018-07-12-0001_zpsoxely5sr.JPG

You are, of course, correct.  I should have said, "Not all Church books from the 50s..."  I've corrected my original statement. :)

Edited by Badger

Seems like a pretty strong price, but is a great copy of a key book that intersects many collectors want lists.  I can appreciate the book even though I can't afford to play in that space.

I do hope that I am able to afford one of the lesser Mile High Four Colors  when the Verzyl books come up.

Getting ready to go to the LAX  show and hope to pick up a bunch of my missing 200 books

Just looked at my copy of 386.  I actually bought it off ebay way prior to collecting Four Colors.  Probably the first CGC book I ever bought.  It is a PLOD 6.0 with slight professional color touch on the cover

On 7/14/2018 at 12:50 PM, jmg3637 said:

Just looked at my copy of 386.  I actually bought it off ebay way prior to collecting Four Colors.  Probably the first CGC book I ever bought.  It is a PLOD 6.0 with slight professional color touch on the cover

If it's professional ct, CCS can probably scrape it off without doing too much damage, if you have a mind to.

On 7/12/2018 at 4:39 PM, Badger said:

I wanted the Church copy too and stopped my bid around the same number you did.

Wanted to do a Market report on the State of FOur Colors at  the recent Torpedo Con.

Out of the 20 or so dealers who were there, less than half  a single issue and several more only had one

Bedrock had 7 slabbed issues  and Harley had the same, but while they were all high grade only  one was slabbed. I ended up with two of Harley's books. Bedrock and I hope to be able to work another mail deal

Metro only had 4, all of them the biggest of the Ducks.

Then there was Terry who brought a box from his inventory specifically at my request. I was able to find 28 books, mostly mid-grade, to fill holes the earliest of which was #5 raggedy Ann. Terry has worked his way into my top 10 trading partners with  51 issues now residing in my accumulation, however I fear than I have nearly depleted his inventory of the issues I still need.

After the show my updated census shows that I have 1173 issues and my wants are down to 175.  Mycomicshop.com still leads the way with 86 issues.  Most of the remaining issues are not that difficult to locate.  I actually have 98 issues in my Active basket with MCS,  and there are many more that are on consignment so are only in my Save for Later section of the basket. 

Scans will follow later

31 minutes ago, jmg3637 said:

I was able to find 28 books, mostly mid-grade, to fill holes the earliest of which was #5 raggedy Ann.

:headbang: That's an achievement when your list is that far down. I'd better get the books I want from MCS before you empty your basket :whatthe: