• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,793 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Apologize for the extreme angle on this picture, trying to avoid glare.  

I don't why this one graded out as an 8.5, instead of higher.  It is really beautiful.  Still, it is tied for with another copy or so (Bedrock has one) for second highest graded.  By the way, this is the first time Uncle Scrooge was featured on a comic cover (beats out FC 386):

image.thumb.png.b513890af33828596ec5058512fe4d5f.png

Beautiful books Mr Duck. But I think the first Scrooge cover appearance was actually FC #353:

FC353.JPG.bdce08bea991c37e3d86a24179faa41a.JPG

On 8/6/2018 at 8:22 PM, AJD said:

Beautiful books Mr Duck. But I think the first Scrooge cover appearance was actually FC #353:

FC353.JPG.bdce08bea991c37e3d86a24179faa41a.JPG

Close, but no cigar.  FC 353 (October 1951) is the first time Carl Barks' penciled Scrooge on a cover, but it was a mere cameo (actually, the very definition of a cameo, e.g., a small portrait).  

The first time that Scrooge ever appeared on a comic cover was actually Walt Disney's Vacation Parade (July 1951), but that was a mere crowd shot where he straddled the fold:

Image result for vacation Parade 2

The chronology is this:

* Vacation Parade 2 (July 1951) - 1st Cover Appearance (cameo crowd shot) 

* FC 353 (Oct. 1951) - 2nd Cover Appearance (cameo), 1st by Barks

* FC 379 (March-April 1952) - 3rd Cover Appearance, 1st time featured on Cover

* FC 386 (March 1952) - 4th Cover Appearance; 2nd by Barks, 2nd featured

* WDC&S 140 (May 1952) - 5th Cover Appearance, 3rd by Barks, 3rd featured, 1st on title,1st by Barks on WDC&S

Which just goes to illustrate that you should be skeptical of what the auction houses say. For example, Heritage states:

"Only a Poor Old Man is the first Uncle Scrooge solo story, Scrooge's first cover appearance, and the book that counts as Uncle Scrooge #1"

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/four-color-386-uncle-scrooge-dell-1952-cgc-nm-94-off-white-to-white-pages/a/825-44210.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-071515&tab=ArchiveSearchResults-012417

The first two representations are both wrong.

FC 386 is also not the first Scrooge solo story or even the first story without Donald Duck.

Edited by sfcityduck

Wow  I go away for a few days, and this thread explodes with great books and knowledge.  Love seeing very pretty copies of these pieces of history.

I was able to trade for many under-copies of the ,middle and later Funny animal books years ago, so that means  that too many of mine will need upgrading.  As I get this quest under better control I finally made an easy to track list of  books for my eventual upgrade.  Sadly while my actual holes  has dropped to under 200,  My list of upgradeable  is over 200.

Here is a few of my recent upgrades.  While nowhere near the grades recently posted they will happily replace and remain in my collection.  The Bugs is a Crippen 

fc 671 Davy Crocket.jpg

fc 671 bc.jpg

fc 555 Range War.jpg

fc 555 bc.jpg

FC 432 BB Rabit Olympics (Crippen).jpg

FC 432 BB (Crippen)bc.jpg

6 hours ago, jmg3637 said:

Wow  I go away for a few days, and this thread explodes with great books and knowledge.  Love seeing very pretty copies of these pieces of history.

I was able to trade for many under-copies of the ,middle and later Funny animal books years ago, so that means  that too many of mine will need upgrading.  As I get this quest under better control I finally made an easy to track list of  books for my eventual upgrade.  Sadly while my actual holes  has dropped to under 200,  My list of upgradeable  is over 200.

Here is a few of my recent upgrades.  While nowhere near the grades recently posted they will happily replace and remain in my collection.  The Bugs is a Crippen 

FC 432 BB Rabit Olympics (Crippen).jpg

FC 432 BB (Crippen)bc.jpg

Congrats on the upgrades on all the books!

Nice yellow on the Ped Bugs, I'm jealous  :luhv:

On 8/6/2018 at 9:13 PM, sfcityduck said:

The chronology is this:

* Vacation Parade 2 (July 1951) - 1st Cover Appearance (cameo crowd shot) 

* FC 353 (Oct. 1951) - 2nd Cover Appearance (cameo), 1st by Barks

* FC 379 (March-April 1952) - 3rd Cover Appearance, 1st time featured on Cover

* FC 386 (March 1952) - 4th Cover Appearance; 2nd by Barks, 2nd featured

* WDC&S 140 (May 1952) - 5th Cover Appearance, 3rd by Barks, 3rd featured, 1st on title,1st by Barks on WDC&S

Which just goes to illustrate that you should be skeptical of what the auction houses say. For example, Heritage states:

"Only a Poor Old Man is the first Uncle Scrooge solo story, Scrooge's first cover appearance, and the book that counts as Uncle Scrooge #1"

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/four-color-386-uncle-scrooge-dell-1952-cgc-nm-94-off-white-to-white-pages/a/825-44210.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-071515&tab=ArchiveSearchResults-012417

The first two representations are both wrong.  FC 386 is also not the first Scrooge solo story or even the first story without Donald Duck.

It's not just Heritage and Hakes and other auctioneers getting this wrong, I just got back my WDC&S 140 from CGC and they are noting it as as "2nd Carl Barks Uncle Scrooge cover," when it is really the 3rd.

I was surprised to discover the import of FC 353 as Barks' first US cover, but more surprised that folks have been getting the chronology of Scrooge cover appearances so wrong for so long.

been working on organizing my main comic closet.  42  long drawer boxes and  6  magazine boxes.  finally have it under control.

also had the chance to scan  some of my recent additions to the Four Color Trading Quest.  These are from Blissard as was the Mother Goose and the other I displayed recently

fc 424 Flash Gordon.jpg

fc 424 bc.jpg

fc 369 Hi-Yo Silver.jpg

fc 369 bc.jpg

here are a few more recent additions.  Love the back cover on the Voyage to the bottom of the Sea.

As the holes get a bit harder to fill, I will have to get more organized in my pursuit.  Trying to find other trading partners as My Comic Shop is already #1  and I could fill in nearly 100 from them, but I would rather find more to work with who do'nt grade so hard

fc 1230 Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.jpg

fc 1230 bc.jpg

fc 1127 Three Stooges.jpg

fc 1127 bc.jpg

fc 1096 The Texan.jpg

fc 1096 bc.jpg

fc 1006 Hercules.jpg

fc 1006 bc.jpg

I recently started a thread in the  want to by forum.  I have posted my thank you list as well as my newly created want list  and want to upgrade lists.  Less than 175 more books needed to fill out both Series 1 and 2

Also throwing up large lots of items I am willing to TRADE to thin out my heard.  So far no response but I have only posted a few items.  I plan on adding a few items a week 

Here are a few more  recent additions 

fc 837 Cottton Woods.jpg

fc 837 bc.jpg

fc 648 Texas Rangers.jpg

fc 648 bc.jpg

fc 598 Captain Davy Jones.jpg

fc 598 bc.jpg

fc 585 BB Album.jpg

fc 585 bc.jpg

On 29 August 2018 at 5:07 AM, Sqeggs said:

This one is a little tougher to find.  Long-forgotten now, but I think silent Henry was still on the comics pages when I was a kid.

henry_zpsuuzv0j9m.JPG

Henry comics were being included in "show bags" being sold at travelling fairs in Australia in the late 60s and early 70s. I remember hating them!

1 hour ago, AJD said:

Henry comics were being included in "show bags" being sold at travelling fairs in Australia in the late 60s and early 70s. I remember hating them!

Been so long since I read one, that it's hard to remember what they were like.  But I did read them as a kid, so I guess I must have liked them enough at the time.  

I also read the funny pages as a kid,  especially enjoyed them on Sunday when there was a whole section and it was in color.  I read those for years prior to finding out about comic books.

here are a few more from  Blissard.  I wonder what was the earliest comic that was devoted to a real horse?

fc 336 Woody Woodpecker.jpg

fc 336 bc.jpg

fc 316 Rex Allen.jpg

fc 316 bc.jpg

fc 287 Champion.jpg

fc 287 bc.jpg