• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,445 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

Shadow#v7#3(MH).jpg

Just a 9.0?  Seems beneath you. (:

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

A Feldstein Page has been on my list for a while.  Glad to pick this one up. 

Congrats, Rick.  Feldstein was so talented, not as an artist but as a writer too.  When I bought my first EC archives many years ago, I started with the sci-fi issues.  So much goodness between those hardcovers in the slipcase.  Feldstein ably stood out in an artistic bullpen of greatness.

On 1/28/2018 at 3:15 AM, Sqeggs said:

Happy to pick up a dirt cheap copy of this very tough (not to mention obscure!) book. 

01732970855000110328673025.jpg

This has been bugging me for a few days, so here goes:

Is there a chance this cover has been censored for production? I am looking at the native by Bullseye's head that seems to be whispering "sweet nothings". Yet the (native's) right hand, whilst a little menacing as-is, looks like it should have a knife. The other (standing) guy also has a "mystery hand", but not as pronounced.

The timing for bowdlerised art is about right - very early in the Comics' Code's introduction and I'd guess publishers and the Code were feeling their way.

Unless I've missed the point entirely, and the "unarmed" native is "the Prophet" and is  in fact giving our hero secret instructions as to how to avoid "The Scalptaker". lol

Oh, and a lovely book. Westerns are so under-rated.

7 hours ago, Duffman_Comics said:

This has been bugging me for a few days, so here goes:

Is there a chance this cover has been censored for production? I am looking at the native by Bullseye's head that seems to be whispering "sweet nothings". Yet the (native's) right hand, whilst a little menacing as-is, looks like it should have a knife. The other (standing) guy also has a "mystery hand", but not as pronounced.

The timing for bowdlerised art is about right - very early in the Comics' Code's introduction and I'd guess publishers and the Code were feeling their way.

Unless I've missed the point entirely, and the "unarmed" native is "the Prophet" and is  in fact giving our hero secret instructions as to how to avoid "The Scalptaker". lol

Oh, and a lovely book. Westerns are so under-rated.

Great thinking! I agree 100%. Most likely they had the cover art already prepped to go, but by then the rules had changed.