• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,445 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Point Five said:

These mid-1940s Punch Comics had some great horror covers. Leaving aside the superhero-with-horror-elements comic covers (Wonderworld #7, Zip #22, etc etc), is there a title with straight horror covers earlier than this one?

punch13.thumb.jpg.505a2c67deb288750c9aab0bca70a0a5.jpg

These are pre code horror covers way before there time (thumbsu

7 hours ago, sagii said:

Underrated War book imho 

Whiz Comics #33.jpg

Great book C!!!!!!!!

Here is a recent pickup. Feels pretty appropriate today. I live in Ohio which only made this book more appealing to me. In one of the story’s the Big Red Cheese battles the seven deadly enemies of man which I actually read (i don’t read that many GA books overall compared to other ages even though my biggest passion is for GA i’m more of an art guy but don’t hear what i’m not saying i do read them occasionally and this one seemed very similar to the movie plot for Shazam which was also cool. 

ED250A35-6F6E-443D-A552-133197E1E495.jpeg

46 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Great book C!!!!!!!!

Here is a recent pickup. Feels pretty appropriate today. I live in Ohio which only made this book more appealing to me. In one of the story’s the Big Red Cheese battles the seven deadly enemies of man which I actually read (i don’t read that many GA books overall compared to other ages even though my biggest passion is for GA i’m more of an art guy but don’t hear what i’m not saying i do read them occasionally and this one seemed very similar to the movie plot for Shazam which was also cool. 

ED250A35-6F6E-443D-A552-133197E1E495.jpeg

Great one Gino, and very perfect for today indeed!

Funny thing: Seems no matter what our GA collecting passions are here on the Boards (Tmely, DC, Fox) many Boardies seem to have a soft spot for the Captain, having a couple Fawcett books in their collection. 

In the spirit of oddballs, here's a cool book that is certifiably unreadable without the included 3-D glasses.  I didn't know the blue label required the insert be present (3-D glasses), so I was lucky it was there when slabbed.  But unfortunately, I never read the book because I didn't want to remove the insert or open its plastic packaging.  

1617962473_3-D-Ell1(CGC7.0)-front.thumb.jpg.b3fd5ce87debaa56eebebcdb610f82f4.jpg

Edited by Pantodude

On 11/2/2020 at 9:01 PM, Point Five said:

These mid-1940s Punch Comics had some great horror covers. Leaving aside the superhero-with-horror-elements comic covers (Wonderworld #7, Zip #22, etc etc), is there a title with straight horror covers earlier than this one?

punch13.thumb.jpg.505a2c67deb288750c9aab0bca70a0a5.jpg

Honestly it really depends what one can get away with from what I’ve seen, and even comics that had a code or were at least in the post-code era were arguably just as effective.

Anyway, this cover for Funny Pages #38 (June, 1940) stuck out to me:

3WVMD4D.jpg