• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,582 posts in this topic

On 7/22/2018 at 12:41 AM, comicnoir said:

I was there when Harley first showed these books. Some were Ohio copies. He had a Crown 7. I asked the price, he said he had it on reserve. I asked the price again, he said $3K. Thank god it was on reserve. Just a great book, you never see.

He didn't offer me the 7 (which I still need), but he did offer me some of the rest.  I bought the 9 and 10, which he said were Ohio copies.  Not Bakers, of course, but still pretty tough books to find in decent shape. 

Edited by Sqeggs
Typo

Only copy on the census, but I'm sure I've seen better raw copies.  In fact, I'm pretty sure that I owned a higher-grade raw copy for a while a few years ago.  

Of course, the book has the expected Newton rings.  Apart from that, it looks somewhat better than the grade.

2018-07-25-0001_zpstyhe2oj8.JPG

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

Only copy on the census, but I'm sure I've seen better raw copies.  In fact, I'm pretty sure that I owned a higher-grade raw copy for a while a few years ago.  

Of course, the book has the expected Newton rings.  Apart from that, it looks somewhat better than the grade.

:takeit:

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

..Had to come back and revisit this: I noticed there isn't a notation of "Matt Baker cover" on the label. I relive it's because its the first one being sent to them. I sent off a handful of Bakers to CGC on Monday all of which I think will come back 9.0 or better. One will be the first one they will grade and it's a Quality Baker. I was informed after emailing them to request that I want Matt Baker cover notated on the label with my packing slip and they 'should' comply.

On another note, these do not surface at the rate of the more desirable St. John romance Bakers, I dont know if it's a genuine scarcity issue or just not on possible holders of the books radar as Bakers because they are not as ' presented' on fan forums. I love them though and only need 3 more to complete the Quality Baker cover collection. 

1 hour ago, RICK STARR said:

A couple of years ago when I had my CL 25 slabbed, I thought "for sure" it would grade out a 7.5 or 8.0. Big disappointment and confusion when I received a 7.0 designation.

Had to be the nicest 7.0 on the planet. So, recently decided to crack it open, have it pressed, resubmit and pray for a more realistic grade.

Whahooooooo....    I am pleased to show the highest graded copy, so far.

1369626179_CINDERELLALOVE25.thumb.jpg.a1e757f889d01d859f568f719e5873d0.jpg

Congratulations. It's a beauty.

1 hour ago, RICK STARR said:

A couple of years ago when I had my CL 25 slabbed, I thought "for sure" it would grade out a 7.5 or 8.0. Big disappointment and confusion when I received a 7.0 designation.

Had to be the nicest 7.0 on the planet. So, recently decided to crack it open, have it pressed, resubmit and pray for a more realistic grade.

Excellent!  I wonder what the 7.5 might achieve with a press?  :whistle:

3 hours ago, RICK STARR said:

spanky throwing money.gif

3 hours ago, RICK STARR said:

$864 in the new Overstreet (thumbsu

21 hours ago, RICK STARR said:

Wonderful!!! 

19 hours ago, RICK STARR said:
20 hours ago, Yorick said:

Excellent!  I wonder what the 7.5 might achieve with a press?  :whistle:

Go for it!  No risk, no reward.

+1

21 hours ago, sagii said:

..Had to come back and revisit this: I noticed there isn't a notation of "Matt Baker cover" on the label. I relive it's because its the first one being sent to them. I sent off a handful of Bakers to CGC on Monday all of which I think will come back 9.0 or better. One will be the first one they will grade and it's a Quality Baker. I was informed after emailing them to request that I want Matt Baker cover notated on the label with my packing slip and they 'should' comply.

On another note, these do not surface at the rate of the more desirable St. John romance Bakers, I dont know if it's a genuine scarcity issue or just not on possible holders of the books radar as Bakers because they are not as ' presented' on fan forums. I love them though and only need 3 more to complete the Quality Baker cover collection. 

Great work in getting CGC to include the Baker attributions. :foryou:

As far as the Quality Bakers go, it's hard to believe that their initial print runs were lower and their distribution poorer than for the St John books, given what a ramshackle operation St John appears to have been.  It's possible, though, that fewer have survived.  I'm vague on just when collectors began to focus on Baker's St John books and whether they were also on the lookout for his Quality books at that point.  I know I was very late to the party on both. 

Like I keep saying there’s nothing hotter in comics than Baker babe romance and wrinkly old Native American guy covers...

Actually ... it’s a kinda cool portrait cover, but I am surprised how high it went.  Just another testament to the power of Baker right now.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/adventure/the-texan-12-st-john-1951-condition-fn-vf/a/121830-15812.s?type=bidnotice-tracked-endofauction

1 hour ago, szavisca said:

Like I keep saying there’s nothing hotter in comics than Baker babe romance and wrinkly old Native American guy covers...

Actually ... it’s a kinda cool portrait cover, but I am surprised how high it went.  Just another testament to the power of Baker right now.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/adventure/the-texan-12-st-john-1951-condition-fn-vf/a/121830-15812.s?type=bidnotice-tracked-endofauction

Agreed; the final price on that -- considering how "non-babe Baker" it is -- was very surprising.