• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,584 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Nice flat square bound.  Looks 5.0ish to me, depending on the spine.  Possible there's a bit of damage in a couple of spots? hm

yes - a tear in the back cover and 4 additional pages - I was thinking it was a great looking 3.5 - so far the first opinion is a 3.0 

1 hour ago, torontodesignguy said:

yes - a tear in the back cover and 4 additional pages - I was thinking it was a great looking 3.5 - so far the first opinion is a 3.0 

Ah, ok.  Yes, unfortunately, 3.0 may be a ceiling on it.  I wouldn't be surprised at a lower grade.  If CCS would be willing to press it, that might net you another 0.5 judging from the back cover scan.

varies. but lots of low grade books that sold for more than 50% what we normally see sold on the boards or other auctions.

here's an example https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/crime/authentic-police-cases-16-st-john-1951-condition-gd-/a/121835-11395.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

can't quite figure out why such a jump for this specific auction.

49 minutes ago, Changer said:

varies. but lots of low grade books that sold for more than 50% what we normally see sold on the boards or other auctions.

here's an example https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/crime/authentic-police-cases-16-st-john-1951-condition-gd-/a/121835-11395.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

can't quite figure out why such a jump for this specific auction.

Such an insane price for that beat looking thing. I guess my fine/very fine copy I paid $20.00 for would do really well.

1 hour ago, Changer said:

certainly higher then recent sales for low grade books. maybe new buyers are coming into market that don't buy on ebay?

Sure hope someone directs them to the upcoming Clink auction for 3 of my junky Baker undercopies….

A Quality pub. Baker fave. And one that can stand with his St. John covers. Quaint scene at a Train Station , dawn,  snow on the ground and a nice shade of purple. Highest graded ( but also the only one graded for now, but I'll take the honor anyway :D). Really stoked that this bad boy got the Matt Baker cover notation, something a lot of the slabbed Quality covers are missing.

Funny observation: The dialog and placement of the figures could almost lead to the possibility the two guys are running away together on this one hm 

image.jpeg

3 hours ago, sagii said:

A Quality pub. Baker fave. And one that can stand with his St. John covers. Quaint scene at a Train Station , dawn,  snow on the ground and a nice shade of purple. Highest graded ( but also the only one graded for now, but I'll take the honor anyway :D). Really stoked that this bad boy got the Matt Baker cover notation, something a lot of the slabbed Quality covers are missing.

Funny observation: The dialog and placement of the figures could almost lead to the possibility the two guys are running away together on this one hm 

image.jpeg

In my best Jerry Seinfeld voice, "Not that there's anything wrong with that!"

Great book and great job getting CGC to note Baker on the label. 

24 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Pay those back invoices! :baiting:

Haha, never bid on anything there yet. Joined a while back and couldn't log back in. I was actually thinking about bidding this last go-round but it still hasn't been resolved yet. Sounds like I probably wouldn't have won anything anyway but I wish I could see hammer prices.

6 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

Haha, never bid on anything there yet. Joined a while back and couldn't log back in. I was actually thinking about bidding this last go-round but it still hasn't been resolved yet. Sounds like I probably wouldn't have won anything anyway but I wish I could see hammer prices.

Possible that your pw expired?  Their cs is pretty good.  If you give them a call, I think they will straighten it out for you.

1 hour ago, szavisca said:

The latest in my continuing series of $100 Bakers...I swear no one else must like this one as much as I do, got it off ebay without much of a fight, my favorite of the Texans. 

Perhaps the seller calling it a VF when its maybe a 4.5/5.0 and does have the unsightly tiny chew on the top right  kept people out of it.  Still ….pretty bright colors on this one, and less of the brown tanning that usually plagues this issue and makes it look like someone puked all over it...

texan8vgf.jpg

I have always really liked that one. I did very well on some recent Bakers at auction but these went for next to nothing. People are missing out.

9 hours ago, szavisca said:

The latest in my continuing series of $100 Bakers...I swear no one else must like this one as much as I do, got it off ebay without much of a fight, my favorite of the Texans. 

Perhaps the seller calling it a VF when its maybe a 4.5/5.0 and does have the unsightly tiny chew on the top right  kept people out of it.  Still ….pretty bright colors on this one, and less of the brown tanning that usually plagues this issue and makes it look like someone puked all over it...

texan8vgf.jpg

I was interested but admittedly, I was turned off by the easy VF comment. I also recently picked up the Canadian version of this so it's still on my list but not as high as it was. Great cover. I'm shooting for all the Baker St. John, Quality, Atlas, etc. stuff, basically except fiction house...although I still get those when I can. I like the Iger stuff but that makes my list much longer!

23 hours ago, szavisca said:

texan8vgf.jpg

I was watching that one.  I think you got an excellent deal, despite the overgrading.