• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,582 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, MBFan said:

A few days ago, I contacted the seller asking for photos and a description of what was wrong with the interior of this book. It's obvious from the rear cover scan that there is a jagged torn edge poking out at the side, and a page sticking out the top WITH ART ON IT. The seller responded that he would provide more photos...but he never did, so I didn't enter any bid. If there are torn siamese pages that affect the art, the grade will suffer greatly. That book is NOT a 6.0. 

This. 

Anthony told me the book was unrestored and he didn't feel like grading it and waiting the amount of time it would take to get it back.  He also did not answer my question about the page sticking out of the top which is also why I did not bid more.

Nice.  I'm a particular fan of the 7.  For a long time, I couldn't find a decent copy of that one.  There was a copy on eBay, but somebody had written her name up the leg of the woman on the left.  I finally did find a better copy. 

On 5/2/2018 at 12:27 PM, Yorick said:

Not going to be "high" grade, but with only four copies on the census I figured I'd sent it in.  I'll post the grade when it returns.

CGC Sub20180006.JPG

On 5/2/2018 at 1:39 PM, Sqeggs said:

It's a tough one.  I sent my copy in for grading recently, so we'll be increasing the census count by 50%!

I feel this grade is accurate.  Not so sure about the others I sent.

WR3 CGC35 (3).JPG

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

The damage along the spine probably brought the grade down, but it’s still a nice copy. 

You must have yours back by now?  :baiting:

9 minutes ago, Yorick said:

You must have yours back by now?  :baiting:

Nope ... and looking at my invoices at CGC, I don't see it on any of them.  I guess I must have not sent it in.  Which raises the question of where the heck I put it. hm

5 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Which raises the question of where the heck I put it.

I'm trying to update my registry sets and have that exact same problem!  I know I have that book graded.... somewhere.

Regarding the Registry, I just achieved a WHOPPING seven points for my Cinderella Love 28 CGC 4.0!!!!  :frustrated:

8 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

There seems to be a trend of leveling off of prices on Bakers (not talking exceptional, rare, or condition books here... just generally) - agree/disagree?

Agree. I actually think interest has noticeably declined in sub-4.0 grades. 

I agree as well.  I think it's a normal supply response.  As interest in Baker increased and prices started to rise, collectors began tracking these books down and dealers wised up to the fact that they were selling for multiples of guide and were worth having graded.

I think it's similar to what happened with IH 1.  I don't follow that market too closely, but my impression is that after prices spiked a couple of years ago, a lot of copies in mid to low grades were slabbed and prices stalled. 

21 hours ago, Yorick said:

So this is one book that I felt was graded kinda harshly:

CGC Sub2018.JPG

CGC Sub20180001.JPG

Well, don't keep us in suspense! :taptaptap:

I'll guess it got a 4.5. 

48 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

There seems to be a trend of leveling off of prices on Bakers (not talking exceptional, rare, or condition books here... just generally) - agree/disagree?

Can’t speak much for romance because I don’t follow them as closely, but a lot of the non romance still seems to be on the rise, though they’re generally only 10-20% the value of comparably graded romance books.

Full disclosure I’ve been trying to grab as many as I can when I can find them cheaply.  

Here’s 2 recent strong sales, there’s dozens of other such strong sales for Baker Babe non romance recently.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/-/302750782146?_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l10137&nordt=true&rt=nc

http://www.comiclink.com/search_adv.asp?all=y&TITLE=Classic+comics&TITLEOPT=ALL&ISSUE=32&Condition=&ConditionTo=&CensusRank=&SearchPageQuality=&Pedigree=&PRICEF=&PRICET=&DESCRIPTION=&DESCRIPTIONOPT=ALL&SearchRemarks=&SearchCGC=&EXCLUDE=&CATEGORIES=-1&WCATEGORIES=-1&SORT=CATEG&_where_forsale=y&_where_auctions=y&x=0&y=0&where_forsale=y

6 minutes ago, szavisca said:

Can’t speak much for romance because I don’t follow them as closely, but a lot of the non romance still seems to be on the rise, though they’re generally only 10-20% the value of comparably graded romance books.

Full disclosure I’ve been trying to grab as many as I can when I can find them cheaply.  

Here’s 2 recent strong sales, there’s dozens of other such strong sales for Baker Babe non romance recently.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/-/302750782146?_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l10137&nordt=true&rt=nc

http://www.comiclink.com/search_adv.asp?all=y&TITLE=Classic+comics&TITLEOPT=ALL&ISSUE=32&Condition=&ConditionTo=&CensusRank=&SearchPageQuality=&Pedigree=&PRICEF=&PRICET=&DESCRIPTION=&DESCRIPTIONOPT=ALL&SearchRemarks=&SearchCGC=&EXCLUDE=&CATEGORIES=-1&WCATEGORIES=-1&SORT=CATEG&_where_forsale=y&_where_auctions=y&x=0&y=0&where_forsale=y

I paid rather a lot for a Hawk 11 on eBay a while back.  It's a double cover that the seller graded VG+.  On it's way back from CGC as a 7.0 (outer cover 5.5), so I'd count that as a win.  Currently there is a lone 7.5 copy on the census. 

1 hour ago, sacentaur said:

I’ve had this conversation via DM with several people here. Yes, I believe the “filler” issues in 5.0 or less have seen a settling.  There is still interest in raw 3.0 Bakers but for $100-200 not $300+ unless it is one of the more salacious or rare books.  There is still plenty of interest in these great books but the money is being spent more selectively. I still get a couple requests a week for a Cinderella Love 25 or GCE 12, etc. 

It feels like there are 4 different tiers of desirability in this niche and the top tier is as strong as ever but the other tiers have cooled off some.  

This is coming from someone who still has a fair amount of the tier 2 and 3 books. All this being said I felt the same way about DeCarlo GGA a little over a year ago when I thought it cooled down and then it Exploded, so who knows?

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

42 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I’ve had this conversation via DM with several people here. Yes, I believe the “filler” issues in 5.0 or less have seen a settling.  There is still interest in raw 3.0 Bakers but for $100-200 not $300+ unless it is one of the more salacious or rare books.  There is still plenty of interest in these great books but the money is being spent more selectively. I still get a couple requests a week for a Cinderella Love 25 or GCE 12, etc. 

It feels like there are 4 different tiers of desirability in this niche and the top tier is as strong as ever but the other tiers have cooled off some.  

This is coming from someone who still has a fair amount of the tier 2 and 3 books. All this being said I felt the same way about DeCarlo GGA a little over a year ago when I thought it cooled down and then it Exploded, so who knows?

Four tiers?  You're probably right, but I'd love to have examples from each tier.

I've thought for a while (and we may even have discussed the point in this thread) that there's a pretty clear division between Bakers that have a strong GGA component (hello, GCE 12!) and those that don't.  TAR 42 might be in the latter category.  It's a very tough book, but it's GGA appeal is limited, so the market for it pretty much consists of Baker fans.  Books like GCE 12 or SS 4 and 6 get significant interest from GGA collectors who may or may not be interested in other Baker books. 

CL 25 also has limited GGA appeal, but is so iconic that I think it may draw some interest from outside the Baker core.  I think we've talked about what would happen if a CL 25 and a GCE 12 both in, say, 9.2 were to appear in the same auction.  I would be chasing the CL 25 to just this side of insanity, but I think the GCE 12 would probably sell for more -- maybe much more.  

Edited by Sqeggs
Typo