TMNT #1 Club
24 24

2,134 posts in this topic

4,987 posts
14 hours ago, valiantman said:

Hard to say. I think Heritage gets a certain type of collector who may not bother with sites like Ebay. Their scans give buyers a chance to view a book magnified. That's not as important for $200 books, but closer to $20,000 people want confidence in the seller and the item.

I think all the auction houses can claim "record prices" for certain books at different times, so it's clear that some buyers will pay what it takes to own a book regardless of the venue.

The Heritage price without the buyer's premium is meaningless. The book sold for $19,200. Who gets paid what percentage of that $19,200 doesn't change what it took to get it.

Agreed x3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
370 posts

I am of the mind that the copies with the original signatures from Kevin and Peter will hold a premium as time goes on.  From my limited tracking this doesnt necessarily seem the case but maybe some of the experts have some thoughts?  Would the 9.6 have crossed the 20k mark with the original sigs?

Gotta love TMNT 1 :headbang:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,361 posts
4 hours ago, GM8 said:

Good observation, that ratio is common with the CGC grades. Uptick in grades are often doubling of prices.

A good sale though, keeps the trend going. That person who got the 26K for the 9.6 really did well in retrospect.

I was off by $800 on my final price estimate of $20k. :sorry:

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
521 posts
37 minutes ago, rainmaker said:

I am of the mind that the copies with the original signatures from Kevin and Peter will hold a premium as time goes on.  From my limited tracking this doesnt necessarily seem the case but maybe some of the experts have some thoughts?  Would the 9.6 have crossed the 20k mark with the original sigs?

Gotta love TMNT 1 :headbang:

Not from what I've seen. I track high-grade sales of this book and people just seem to want the book since its so rare - sig or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,987 posts
1 hour ago, rainmaker said:

I am of the mind that the copies with the original signatures from Kevin and Peter will hold a premium as time goes on.  From my limited tracking this doesnt necessarily seem the case but maybe some of the experts have some thoughts?  Would the 9.6 have crossed the 20k mark with the original sigs?

Gotta love TMNT 1 :headbang:

I’ve owned a 9.6 and now a 9.8 both with sigs/remarks on inside -

I am one who would pay more to have their sigs inside

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,418 posts

I personally like comics better without sigs... but the market seems to disagree with me.  

That said I can see yellow label sig copies getting a slight premium in the future because there are clearly people who value that.

 As far as the blue label ones that have label notes about the sig... I could never shake the feeling that some of those may not be authentic.  I don’t really know.

When it came time to buy a ridiculous copy I wanted one with no scribbling in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55,150 posts
On 7/23/2018 at 6:43 PM, Wystan said:

Would like to get everyone's opinion:

Do you think I should get a TMNT #1, 1st printing signed on the cover or not? (only Eastman and Laird, of course)

It's such a nice cover and I don't know if it's bad, long term, or better to have the signatures certified by CGC.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Sign the ever-loving hell out of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
970 posts

I wouldn't worry too much about sig or no sig regarding future value; you'll always find a buyer. That said, if you do get it signed, you'd be best served to get it SS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55,150 posts
18 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Get the back cover signed.

Totally. Then get the front cover signed. Then get every page signed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,094 posts
On 8/4/2018 at 11:15 PM, TMNT said:

I wouldn't worry too much about sig or no sig regarding future value; you'll always find a buyer. That said, if you do get it signed, you'd be best served to get it SS.

For all of you turtle lovers, if you haven't read Mr. Saki's quest and acquisition of his grail, please do. Go onto his comicart gallery site. A big congrats again. That piece is MONSTROUS!

It's always a pleasure browsing your pieces. It's what turtle dreams are made of!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
970 posts
8 hours ago, SpideyFein said:

For all of you turtle lovers, if you haven't read Mr. Saki's quest and acquisition of his grail, please do. Go onto his comicart gallery site. A big congrats again. That piece is MONSTROUS!

It's always a pleasure browsing your pieces. It's what turtle dreams are made of!!!

Hey man! Thanks so much for the kind words. Each and every day I get to see it on the wall and the magic never fades. :cloud9:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
521 posts
22 minutes ago, TMNT said:

Hey man! Thanks so much for the kind words. Each and every day I get to see it on the wall and the magic never fades. :cloud9:

Just read the story of your "Grail", great get! So that painting is a one of a kind?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
970 posts
17 minutes ago, GM8 said:

Just read the story of your "Grail", great get! So that painting is a one of a kind?

Yup, like the rest of the pieces in my gallery, one of a kind! Only me and Kevin Eastman have ever owned it. He had it for 30+ years  I'm shooting for the same :insane:

Edited by TMNT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
970 posts

EBAY

Just FYI for any one looking at this book. The seller has previously sold this copy (or has a second one). He mentions no where in his listing title or description that it's a 2014 Insight Edition copy of TMNT 1 that's hes selling. The other sold for $300 this week. I can't help but get the feeling at that price point people might be thinking they are getting a legit raw tmnt 1 2nd print 9.8...or are raw Insights really that valuable and I just wasn't aware? I told him about this during the first sale and he said he didn't have time to change the description. 

Edited by TMNT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
521 posts
17 hours ago, TMNT said:

EBAY

Just FYI for any one looking at this book. The seller has previously sold this copy (or has a second one). He mentions no where in his listing title or description that it's a 2014 Insight Edition copy of TMNT 1 that's hes selling. The other sold for $300 this week. I can't help but get the feeling at that price point people might be thinking they are getting a legit raw tmnt 1 2nd print 9.8...or are raw Insights really that valuable and I just wasn't aware? I told him about this during the first sale and he said he didn't have time to change the description. 

He says in the title it's a "replica" so I don't see an issue with it. It would only fool a fool I suppose.

Never heard of this particular reprint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 posts

For those of you who have resubmitted a graded copy of turtles 1 after pressing, or for anyone else for that matter, what are your opinions of these grader notes on this 9.2 copy?

"Left Center Back Cover Small Multiple Finger Bends, Spine Small Stress Lines".  Seems to be some potential room for upgrade but it also seems the finger bends are becoming more common in grader notes and who knows if a single press will remove them.  Just interested in everyones thoughts.  Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45,944 posts
On 8/12/2018 at 6:11 PM, gran0297 said:

For those of you who have resubmitted a graded copy of turtles 1 after pressing, or for anyone else for that matter, what are your opinions of these grader notes on this 9.2 copy?

"Left Center Back Cover Small Multiple Finger Bends, Spine Small Stress Lines".  Seems to be some potential room for upgrade but it also seems the finger bends are becoming more common in grader notes and who knows if a single press will remove them.  Just interested in everyones thoughts.  Thank you.

Maybe if you had a photo or two of the book in question? (shrug)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
355 posts
On 8/7/2018 at 11:49 AM, TMNT said:

EBAY

Just FYI for any one looking at this book. The seller has previously sold this copy (or has a second one). He mentions no where in his listing title or description that it's a 2014 Insight Edition copy of TMNT 1 that's hes selling. The other sold for $300 this week. I can't help but get the feeling at that price point people might be thinking they are getting a legit raw tmnt 1 2nd print 9.8...or are raw Insights really that valuable and I just wasn't aware? I told him about this during the first sale and he said he didn't have time to change the description. 

 

On 8/8/2018 at 5:25 AM, GM8 said:

He says in the title it's a "replica" so I don't see an issue with it. It would only fool a fool I suppose.

Never heard of this particular reprint.

These TMNT #1 reprints definitely aren't as valuable as they are selling for on eBay.  They are included with every copy of the TMNT The Ultimate Visual History book published in 2014.  However, there is also a new printing of that book from this year (2018) and it has a matte-cover version of the TMNT #1 reprint (vs. the glossy cover version in the 2014 version).  More about that here if interested.  Regardless of which book you buy, you can get still get these books for under $50 many places and it comes with the comic book.  Prices for the TMNT #1 reprint comic book on eBay are just a combination of a seller who isn't accurately describing what he's selling (purposeful or not) and buyers who aren't aware of what this actually is.  I've had multiple people contact me about this "new" variant and have had to explain to them what the book actually is.  Unfortunately, some of them asked me too late and they had already purchased it from eBay.  :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
24 24