• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,840 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, comicdonna said:

That is a great story, F For Fake.  Nice books, too!  :smile:

Thanks for reading! And yeah, I'm still loving those books, they're low grade but they're mine!

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

Man, that's rough, I feel your pain. But that's the thrill of the hunt, and what makes the wins so sweet!

I used to be able to score at estate sales by showing up an hour or two early, but nowadays you practically have to camp out overnight. The comic bubble has the sports card guys and every Tom, and Harry out beating the bushes and driving up prices at auctions. It's madness. You can still find deals, but you have to work for it.

Sometimes it works out. Summer before last, I saw this estate sale on FB. Started at 9. I emailed the agency to see if they'd be handing out numbers, and was told that they'd give them out at 7:30. But she warned that a lot of people were showing interest, so I may want to come earlier. I asked if she thought 6am might do it, she said maybe. So, I showed up at the doorstep of this house at 4:30 am, thinking SURELY I'd be the first one there. I was walking up the driveway, crickets chirping, mosquitos buzzing, when a voice said "Good morning!" There was a kid in his 20's sitting on the porch. He'd been there since about 3:30. He was interested in comics and toys. Didn't know much about them, but knew they were worth money. I told him I was there for two specific comics, and if I could get those two, he could have all of the rest. We spent several hours talking, and he was a nice guy and we ended up becoming estate sale buds in the subsequent months. 

Anyway, the time came, the doors were open, and we ran into the room. He went to a box of magazines, but I went directly to the cashier, as I knew they usually had the valuable stuff with them. True to my word, I took the two books I wanted, then called him over and gave him the rest.

He was happy, and I was happy. Everyone won.

This is what I got:

Photo Aug 26, 8 20 54 PM.jpg

Photo Aug 26, 8 20 55 PM.jpg

Wow! Those were amazing!

Congrats!

What else did you see that you let the other guy have? Did you know in advance that Avengers 4 & TOS 52 were going to be there ?

1 minute ago, comics4all said:

Wow! Those were amazing!

Congrats!

What else did you see that you let the other guy have? Did you know in advance that Avengers 4 & TOS 52 were going to be there ?

Thanks!

I can't remember everything he got, but I do know that there was a low/mid grade Spidey #10 as well as a nice Superman 199 (the Flash race), and a big stack of Archies and I think some Gold Key hero books. I feel like I'm forgetting something else, but it's not coming to me. Nothing fancy, but he was happy. I got the better end of the deal for sure, but I also could have just bought them all since I got to them first, so he was just happy to walk out with a stack of stuff, and I was content with my two books, especially since they were for my personal collection and not to flip.

Yes, the estate sale folks have a FB page, and they had pics of the sale items, including the comics which were in random stacks. I could clearly make out the Avengers 4 and the ToS 52, but no prices, so I wasn't really sure what they'd be asking. Sometimes these people dramatically overprice, but sometimes you get a deal. I got a deal this time. 

2 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Thanks!

I can't remember everything he got, but I do know that there was a low/mid grade Spidey #10 as well as a nice Superman 199 (the Flash race), and a big stack of Archies and I think some Gold Key hero books. I feel like I'm forgetting something else, but it's not coming to me. Nothing fancy, but he was happy. I got the better end of the deal for sure, but I also could have just bought them all since I got to them first, so he was just happy to walk out with a stack of stuff, and I was content with my two books, especially since they were for my personal collection and not to flip.

Yes, the estate sale folks have a FB page, and they had pics of the sale items, including the comics which were in random stacks. I could clearly make out the Avengers 4 and the ToS 52, but no prices, so I wasn't really sure what they'd be asking. Sometimes these people dramatically overprice, but sometimes you get a deal. I got a deal this time. 

That is great! 

You got the better end of the deal for sure!!! 

2 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Thanks!

I've gone to a few like that last year and the year before. 1 of them had expensive books, I went for an ASM #129 I saw that way I could have a Blue Label to compliment my Yellow Label.

I was 2nd in line, I didn't think about the cashier when I went in, and I was looking through some bronze swamp and man things to see where in the world Carmen Sandie... err I mean the ASM #129 was, but

Then I saw the crowd by the register doh! 

I went, and she said that since she saw I was 2nd in line at the door that I could have first pick along with the guy in front of me. I asked about the ASM #129 and she grabbed it from people to let me look at it. She had it at 6.5, I was thinking 4.5 or 5.0....

It was still priced at something like $450-650, I forget, BUT that burned me lol I had heard all these stories lol and it wasn't a steal so I went home. It's all good, whatever reason they were having the estate sale, I'm sure someone needed the sales (thumbsu but I only had $100-200 and left a little disappointed...... but I was broke lol 

Did you at least get a good price on your books, even though they were at the register?

16 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I've gone to a few like that last year and the year before. 1 of them had expensive books, I went for an ASM #129 I saw that way I could have a Blue Label to compliment my Yellow Label.

I was 2nd in line, I didn't think about the cashier when I went in, and I was looking through some bronze swamp and man things to see where in the world Carmen Sandie... err I mean the ASM #129 was, but

Then I saw the crowd by the register doh! 

I went, and she said that since she saw I was 2nd in line at the door that I could have first pick along with the guy in front of me. I asked about the ASM #129 and she grabbed it from people to let me look at it. She had it at 6.5, I was thinking 4.5 or 5.0....

It was still priced at something like $450-650, I forget, BUT that burned me lol I had heard all these stories lol and it wasn't a steal so I went home. It's all good, whatever reason they were having the estate sale, I'm sure someone needed the sales (thumbsu but I only had $100-200 and left a little disappointed...... but I was broke lol 

Did you at least get a good price on your books, even though they were at the register?

You know, it's a shoot. Most of the estate sales I go to are set up by professionals, but it's remarkable how pricing can be all over the place, even within the same company. Sometimes the prices are grossly over-inflated. Sometimes they're wildly under market value. I guess maybe they have input from the estate holders or families whoever, so sometimes their hands may be tied with pricing. I'm not sure. You really never know until you get there. But yeah, #1 rule: always go to the cashier stand first, that's where the goodies usually are!

I did well, I think. $120 for the AV4 and $40 for the ToS52. i was more than happy to pay for 'em!

21 hours ago, Robot Man said:

. Stuff isn’t exactly cheap usually either. I just don’t like being shoved and trampled either any more. 

That's one of my biggest complaints as well: when you do find something, you often have to pay-up for it, at least if the the estate company is worth its salt.

Now, as they desire to move merchandise, their prices might still be attractive - like half retail for instance - but I've seen just as many cases where a comic or toy has an ABE or eBay printout showing the item and the highest asking price online. That's when the germ of defeat starts to set in...  :sorry:

3 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Thanks for reading! And yeah, I'm still loving those books, they're low grade but they're mine!

Couldn't happen to a nicer man.Happy for you mate,I needed some good news of late.

I was thinking of you as I went through a buddy of mines collection the other day,he's our age and had all his books at his job-he has like a jam space wharehouse.I picked out a big pile,offered him some bucks and he just pulled a few to keep(Canadian price Crystar,auuugh!but all good) and said keep em.His payment for me pulling the keys(first venom,carnage,gambit,deadpool ect) before he put stuff out for a buck or two.

Pics soonish

1 minute ago, porcupine48 said:

Couldn't happen to a nicer man.Happy for you mate,I needed some good news of late.

I was thinking of you as I went through a buddy of mines collection the other day,he's our age and had all his books at his job-he has like a jam space wharehouse.I picked out a big pile,offered him some bucks and he just pulled a few to keep(Canadian price Crystar,auuugh!but all good) and said keep em.His payment for me pulling the keys(first venom,carnage,gambit,deadpool ect) before he put stuff out for a buck or two.

Pics soonish

Aw, thanks buddy! That's a great story too, it pays to be a good dude and treat people square. Can't wait to see the pics!

14 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Aw, thanks buddy! That's a great story too, it pays to be a good dude and treat people square. Can't wait to see the pics!

Ah,we're childhood friends and we were going over some old master tapes and analog stuff of a friend that has just died.,trying to figure a bandcamp thing for it. even explained Canadian newsstand stuff to him,all that good distraction .

To keep on track-I know folks,fake and I need a pm lol -

here's a crazy story-walking the dog in the snow and minus twenty C°last night,I see this blowing down the road....

79131678_865056680564249_48877047030449479372442_477564346230370_65106867258140979806156_2579831812249736_83746257210829nfoE6OJ.jpg?1

It's pretty crazy,telling you to let the television watch your kids,busy mother!Never seen anything like it before.1961-and just blowing in the snow!

1 hour ago, porcupine48 said:

Ah,we're childhood friends and we were going over some old master tapes and analog stuff of a friend that has just died.,trying to figure a bandcamp thing for it. even explained Canadian newsstand stuff to him,all that good distraction .

To keep on track-I know folks,fake and I need a pm lol -

here's a crazy story-walking the dog in the snow and minus twenty C°last night,I see this blowing down the road....

79131678_865056680564249_48877047030449479372442_477564346230370_65106867258140979806156_2579831812249736_83746257210829nfoE6OJ.jpg?1

It's pretty crazy,telling you to let the television watch your kids,busy mother!Never seen anything like it before.1961-and just blowing in the snow!

Awesome! I Go Pogo, big time!

7 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Too bad it wasn’t an Action #1...

Still one of my odder comic related finds,item and how,where.My favourite of yours is the GA gems a friend had picked up from someone sleeping rough and had been using as a pillow.I think it was a Zip comics,early MLJ?

4 hours ago, F For Fake said:

You know, it's a shoot. Most of the estate sales I go to are set up by professionals, but it's remarkable how pricing can be all over the place, even within the same company. Sometimes the prices are grossly over-inflated. Sometimes they're wildly under market value. I guess maybe they have input from the estate holders or families whoever, so sometimes their hands may be tied with pricing. I'm not sure. You really never know until you get there. But yeah, #1 rule: always go to the cashier stand first, that's where the goodies usually are!

I did well, I think. $120 for the AV4 and $40 for the ToS52. i was more than happy to pay for 'em!

Great story and nice find! Good for you leaving the guy something too. What goes around, comes around.

2 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Still one of my odder comic related finds,item and how,where.My favourite of yours is the GA gems a friend had picked up from someone sleeping rough and had been using as a pillow.I think it was a Zip comics,early MLJ?

Shield Wizard #1 low grade.

A small estate sale find a couple years ago. When you could just walk in and buy them without 10 kids on their phones. 

This is their photo. When I bought them, the guy pulled out another small pile from under the table. One was a Tec with a Joker cover. They had them priced from about $5-$20 each

The Comic Comics was the most expensive at $24. Because it was #1. I passed it and the Looney Tunes to a young guy that was right on my elbow and salivating...

CD520E01-4D24-47A6-A6F1-CEC65CF22B73.jpeg

So i've been here on the boards for like 12 years,yesterday,i believe and have been really only a Silver-age or Golden-age boardie...

That has all changed this week. Someone here in my area was moving and having a yard sale and i happened to stop by...

There were 7 long boxes worth of books, i took everything. It's all basically 90's stuff. All bought, bagged and boarded and sat away for 20 +years.

Needless to say i'm re-bagging and boarding like 1700+/- books...all in that NM+ to NM++ 9.6-9.8 area....so i'm sure i'll be posting a ton for sale in the sales area eventually to thin out as i don't need 25 Lady Death #1's. a dozen Spawn #1's ect...LOL

There are a ton of variants, starting off with 6 NM+ WOLVERINE 75 BLUE HOLOGRAM ERROR books.....

Thought i'd share a view...

wolv75blues.jpg