• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,840 posts in this topic

Well I guess the only drawback with buying that collection is that you're unable to check out each book individually. What if there are pages missing, brittle pages, etc. If someone is going to spend that kind of $, they for sure have to check them out, or randomly check some if time is of the essence. So kinda a risk vs reward scenario.

The dealer that bought it basically paid, had it packed up and drove away. 

8 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Well I guess the only drawback with buying that collection is that you're unable to check out each book individually. What if there are pages missing, brittle pages, etc. If someone is going to spend that kind of $, they for sure have to check them out, or randomly check some if time is of the essence. So kinda a risk vs reward scenario.

The dealer that bought it basically paid, had it packed up and drove away. 

At $14,800 there is no drawback to those books, unless they fall apart when they see the sun.

8 minutes ago, MattTheDuck said:

Doesn't precisely fit this thread, but went to dinner at a work friend of my wife's last night and came back with a long box she'd "liberated" from a closing comic shop's donation to Goodwill 20 years ago.  Long run of FF from 234-393 and most importantly included 2 of this beauty.  And also 34 total copies of something called "Death's Head II," issues 1-3.

GS Defenders - 3.jpg

That's Fun! Congrats! :) 

I'll be traveling all day today, hopefully will have some fun stories to tell, going to see 2 collections. Treasure Hunt. 

15 hours ago, Robot Man said:

“The Scream Collection”. Actually the second 100+ book EC collection to surface in the wilds of LA in the past month or so. Like the other thread says: “They’re still out there”...

They are most certainly still out there!

I love the excitement right before.

1st stop I know what I'm getting for the most part, (Horror magazines)

2nd stop close by will be 70's books. Thats about all I know. (DC's and Marvel's)

Edited by Rip

11 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

At $14,800 there is no drawback to those books, unless they fall apart when they see the sun.

Part of me thinks that is lot to pay at an estate sale. The other part of me isn’t surprised. Estate sale companies are pretty smart usually. They know comics are hot and have really risen their prices on them. They are of course, no where as educated as we are to actual market values on specific issues. 

I know several of the owners of estate sale companies in my area. I have been lucky to get in and purchase some collections early. They like me because I am honest with them and I help them price them fairly. 

I don’t attend them often as an average buyer any more. The competition is fierce, and often vicious.  Just not as fun as it used to be. 

Flea markets are almost as bad. Not much comes out as far as vintage stuff. I used to have a couple of competitors now these places are trolled with legions of kids armed with their cell phones. 

Man, I miss the good old days...

4 hours ago, Rip said:

I'll be traveling all day today, hopefully will have some fun stories to tell, going to see 2 collections. Treasure Hunt. 

They are most certainly still out there!

I love the excitement right before.

1st stop I know what I'm getting for the most part, (Horror magazines)

2nd stop close by will be 70's books. Thats about all I know. (DC's and Marvel's)

Good luck today. Hope you score some good stuff!

Edited by Robot Man

While I was in line for that "Scream Collection," the estate lady handed out a typed paper history about the family who owned those books. If anyone is interested in reading about it, I can upload on here. 

Also, I did not come out empty handed. I managed to buy a Seduction of the Innocence book for $10. I also found out that they sold a Harry Houdini original poster to the same guys who bought the collection.  I wouldve bought that too...

Hey at @F For Fake

I'm no professional , but you're by go to for half price books lol

Or anyone else who cares to let me know

I'm no expert but this appears to be a legit 1st print 35 cent variant of Star Wars #4

:tink:

Low grade but :takeit:

IMG_20210522_112837761.jpg

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Part of me thinks that is lot to pay at an estate sale. The other part of me isn’t surprised. Estate sale companies are pretty smart usually. They know comics are hot and have really risen their prices on them. They are of course, no where as educated as we are to actual market values on specific issues. 

I know several of the owners of estate sale companies in my area. I have been lucky to get in and purchase some collections early. They like me because I am honest with them and I help them price them fairly. 

I don’t attend them often as an average buyer any more. The competition is fierce, and often vicious.  Just not as fun as it used to be. 

Flea markets are almost as bad. Not much comes out as far as vintage stuff. I used to have a couple of competitors now these places are trolled with legions of kids armed with their cell phones. 

Yep comic books are no longer only known to a group of collectors/dealers, mostly everyone who has access to the internet and word of mouth can find out the true nature of their values. The word is out and more and more people are catching on.  

Had I bought them, I would've kept them all intact and locked up with the rest of my personal keepers. The history about them and me possibly never finding that great of a small OO golden age books is something I would've greatly treasured in my memories and collecting. 

2 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Yep comic books are no longer only known to a group of collectors/dealers, mostly everyone who has access to the internet and word of mouth can find out the true nature of their values. The word is out and more and more people are catching on.  

Had I bought them, I would've kept them all intact and locked up with the rest of my personal keepers. The history about them and me possibly never finding that great of a small OO golden age books is something I would've greatly treasured in my memories and collecting. 

I think when the record prices the “Promise Collection” bring hit the newswires, might just be the final nail in the coffin. 

I am in the fortunate position having collecting PCH for 50 years, that I have most of them. I would keep some, maybe upgrade some and probably sell or trade the rest for stuff I don’t have. 

Again, being in that fortunate position, I have had the good fortune to find a few nice small OO GA/SA collections. Believe me, it never gets old. Just stay diligent, work very hard and follow every lead and your time could come as well. 

2 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

While I was in line for that "Scream Collection," the estate lady handed out a typed paper history about the family who owned those books. If anyone is interested in reading about it, I can upload on here. 

Also, I did not come out empty handed. I managed to buy a Seduction of the Innocence book for $10. I also found out that they sold a Harry Houdini original poster to the same guys who bought the collection.  I wouldve bought that too...

I spoke to some local collectors/dealers today. I guess a lot of people knew about it. One guy got there at 3:00 AM and was shut out. Another guy knew the family. He got into the house about a year and a half ago and bought all their vintage advertising signs and some store displays. He asked about comics at the time but was told there wern’t any. Apparently, they were buried in a box in the garage and no one knew. 

As I said before, a couple months ago another box of about 100 ECs turned up in a closet of another house in this area. Apparently, a young couple found them after buying a house and clearing it out. They contacted a local guy who met them some ware and bought the load REAL cheap. 

This is a big area with tons of old houses. It is a sure thing there are small collections of this size still waiting to be discovered. 

3 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

I wouldn’t mind reading that history...

5 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I agree, I miss the good old days but if you think about it, you’ve collected for years and built up a collection and now when you have a lot of stuff and don’t really need anything everyone wants what you have.  Not a bad way for the -script to be written and you’re in a wonderful place