• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM #129 CGC 9.6 NM+

91 posts in this topic

Amazing Spider-Man #129 CGC 9.6 NM+ Off-White to White Pages - $2200

PayPal preferred; Money Orders OK; apologies no personal checks

Priority Shipping within the U.S. included with sale price

Pre-CGC Grading Scan

AmazingSpider-Man1290274-1.jpg

Close Up Cover Scan

AmazingSpider-Man1290274-2.jpg

CGC Scan ( my scanner's too small for a clearer image )

Spider-Man129CGC.jpg

Either :takeit: or PM with the best offer. Thanks!

Still for sale?

bought it, pressed it, sold it as a 9.8 :banana:

Questioning the guy's references is fine. Posting a :takeit: with no intent to pay is in poor taste.

What is going on these days in the selling forum? It used to be a really cool place to buy and sell books. I guess there's too many newbies and a few people have been burned.

Questioning the guy's references is fine. Posting a :takeit: with no intent to pay is in poor taste.

What is going on these days in the selling forum? It used to be a really cool place to buy and sell books. I guess there's too many newbies and a few people have been burned.

The last few months (heck, the last year) have been bad as far as sales go, but all the nonsense going on in the past week has really made me wonder why I bother trying to sell here.

It just seems that there are a few individuals who are out to insure:

1). That no one make a dime of profit on any book offered here, as profiteering off of your fellow collectors is illegal, immoral, unethical and puts the seller in a class just above pond scum. Unfortunately, these same people fail to grasp that it is the profit motive which brings really nice books to this Board. Otherwise, all you would see if VG+ Tales of Suspense 77s and dollar Copper books all day long.

2). If people believe you aren't disclosing pressing, they'll call you out for it in your sales thread. If you do disclose pressing, they'll happily steer clear of your books, even the unpressed ones. Price of doing business if you're honest, I suppose.

3). Threadcrapping in general has gotten out of hand. What used to be something that could and should be handled in a PM, or a comment that prudence would dictate be best left unwritten, has become the norm. Openly questioning people's integrity, honesty, sincerity, intelligence, etc. etc. in their own sales thread has somehow become a board pastime.

The sad result of all of this is that quality sellers will leave, as many already have. Buyers will also depart as the prime material isn't being offered, and the Forum Marketplace will become a haven for mid-range drek and dollar comics.

Sounds like the path many conventions have gone when they've lost sellers and attendees to rising rates and poor management.

Here though, we have no one to blame but ourselves.

The last few months (heck, the last year) have been bad as far as sales go, but all the nonsense going on in the past week has really made me wonder why I bother trying to sell here.

It just seems that there are a few individuals who are out to insure:

1). That no one make a dime of profit on any book offered here, as profiteering off of your fellow collectors is illegal, immoral, unethical and puts the seller in a class just above pond scum. Unfortunately, these same people fail to grasp that it is the profit motive which brings really nice books to this Board. Otherwise, all you would see if VG+ Tales of Suspense 77s and dollar Copper books all day long.

2). If people believe you aren't disclosing pressing, they'll call you out for it in your sales thread. If you do disclose pressing, they'll happily steer clear of your books, even the unpressed ones. Price of doing business if you're honest, I suppose.

3). Threadcrapping in general has gotten out of hand. What used to be something that could and should be handled in a PM, or a comment that prudence would dictate be best left unwritten, has become the norm. Openly questioning people's integrity, honesty, sincerity, intelligence, etc. etc. in their own sales thread has somehow become a board pastime.

The sad result of all of this is that quality sellers will leave, as many already have. Buyers will also depart as the prime material isn't being offered, and the Forum Marketplace will become a haven for mid-range drek and dollar comics.

Sounds like the path many conventions have gone when they've lost sellers and attendees to rising rates and poor management.

Here though, we have no one to blame but ourselves.

Sadly, I agree with this. In the last week, we've seen sellers bullied to the point that they've pulled sales thread or just seen the entire thread turn into a krapfest. I sell on here quite a bit, not as much as others and I'm still relatively new, but some of the stuff that is happening today just flat out needs to stop. It only requires the bare minimum of common-sense and decorum to realize that you do NOT ask what a seller has invested in a book. It's NONE of the buyer's business. No matter what way you try to spin it, it just isn't and it's flat-out offensive to have to deal with that krap.

Pressing is a touchy subject, I think it's okay to ask if it isn't declared, but if the seller says he/she "doesn't know" or "no". Then that should be the end of it. If you don't trust the seller enough to answer truthfully, then you don't trust them enough to buy from them. Move ON. Buy from someone you trust.

The "ridiculous" offers don't bother me, it's up to me to decide whether or not I wish to accept it. But if I politely decline, either up the offer or leave me alone. Again, that should be good enough. No amount of begging or pleading is going to make me sell a decent book for 25% of what I have it listed for.

Posting here:

1. Without credentials

2. Without being an active and upstanding forum member

3. Only coming on here to sell books

Makes this place no better than ebay, if not worse. If you see me posting in an antagonistic manner with people like this, it's because I really do have forum members best interest in mind. This place is a great venue for selling books, but if we keep having new members only coming on here to sell, and not contribute...we'll see a lot more scams and degredation of what makes the CGC forum boards so special.

Put me on the probation list, I guarantee it that the people I regularly buy from will still sell to me.

It's simple (and I've been in violation of this). Keep 99% of the conversations in PMs or in the general discussion thread. Do we have to spell out what should be allowed in sales threads?

I agree with this 100% if only for the reason that everything posted in a sales thread pushes someones elses thread further down the page. It would be nice if we could keep most posts other than I'll Takes its to PM's

Posting here:

1. Without credentials

Makes this place no better than ebay, if not worse. If you see me posting in an antagonistic manner with people like this, it's because I really do have forum members best interest in mind. This place is a great venue for selling books, but if we keep having new members only coming on here to sell, and not contribute...we'll see a lot more scams and degredation of what makes the CGC forum boards so special.

Put me on the probation list, I guarantee it that the people I regularly buy from will still sell to me.

No doubt that you are a contributing member of this community and are willing to make a statement about issues you feel strongly about.

HOWEVER, in this case

1) The seller didn't need to post credentials unless it was requested by a potential buyer, and that could have been done via PM. We don't have a mandatory application for new members to fill out and post here as credit checks(though that would be nice to have sometimes).

2) The seller is active, upstanding still to be determined, but really you need some other evidence than this this one offer to warrant posting an :takeit: you had no intention of honoring.

3) Again, not worth the response you gave him.

I have a lot of respect for you Vaughan, as a person not just as a comic guy, but this was unreasonable unless you had other evidence to believe it was a scam. If you do, please share. If not, the man deserves an apology.

The CGC sales forums and forum in general has been totally up lately with boardies acting like total scumbags.

I feel bad for the seller as has no reason to have to give credentials.

Do I need credentials for buying from a new dealer or a guy I just met at a show?

GET REAL…..

If you pay with Pay Pal your backed up as a buyer (unless you pay personal of course).

No wonder people have stop selling good stuff on the boards and stop disclosing pressing.

I see a lot actions of some of the long time boardies as a ING DISGRACE TO THE HOBBY AND THE BOARDS.

No wonder I have been posting less and less lately.

I don't know why everyone is getting their panties in a bunch over the so called "thread crapping".

1. It's been going on forever on these boards, or at least since 2006. (don't make me search for examples)

2. The old adage, "any press is good press" (no pun intended) holds true here as it does anywhere.

3. No matter what is said in a sales thread, if you have the books, they will sell.

4. No matter what is said in a sales thread, if you have a quality reputation on these boards, your books will sell.

Advice, don't make an open message board part of your business model if your worried that now and again you are going to get some comments/personalities/opinions you don't like.

I don't know why everyone is getting their panties in a bunch over the so called "thread crapping".

1. It's been going on forever on these boards, or at least since 2006. (don't make me search for examples)

2. The old adage, "any press is good press" (no pun intended) holds true here as it does anywhere.

3. No matter what is said in a sales thread, if you have the books, they will sell.

4. No matter what is said in a sales thread, if you have a quality reputation on these boards, your books will sell.

Advice, don't make an open message board part of your business model if your worried that now and again you are going to get some comments/personalities/opinions you don't like.

I draw the line when someone put the :takeit: sign up as a joke on a big ticket book.

It’s one thing to mess around or whatever in all the other forums, but when it comes to in with someone’s money like this that totally a lack of respect as person.

I am holding back what I really want to say so I don’t get a strike as I am sure I would.

I draw the line when someone put the :takeit: sign up as a joke on a big ticket book.

It’s one thing to mess around or whatever in all the other forums, but when it comes to in with someone’s money like this that totally a lack of respect as person.

I am holding back what I really want to say so I don’t get a strike as I am sure I would.

:preach: I agree.....100% :preach:

It's simple (and I've been in violation of this). Keep 99% of the conversations in PMs or in the general discussion thread. Do we have to spell out what should be allowed in sales threads?

WELL put sir ....I really think we need to adopt a "ZERO" tolerance policy on "thread crapping" . I have spoke to 2 new guys that won't list on here anymore because their threads were dumped on because they were new as if they did something wrong. Why not just pm a person if your comment is less than condusive to a positive being added to the public thread???

Posting here:

1. Without credentials

No doubt that you are a contributing member of this community and are willing to make a statement about issues you feel strongly about.

HOWEVER, in this case

1) The seller didn't need to post credentials unless it was requested by a potential buyer, and that could have been done via PM. We don't have a mandatory application for new members to fill out and post here as credit checks(though that would be nice to have sometimes).

2) The seller is active, upstanding still to be determined, but really you need some other evidence than this this one offer to warrant posting an :takeit: you had no intention of honoring.

3) Again, not worth the response you gave him.

I have a lot of respect for you Vaughan, as a person not just as a comic guy, but this was unreasonable unless you had other evidence to believe it was a scam. If you do, please share. If not, the man deserves an apology.

Rather than posting :takeit: why not simply and politely suggest to the seller in the sales thread that he would have more sucess if he could provide references?

You really can't be more wrong. This is the Marketplace, not Comics General, not the Discussion thread. Negative "opinions" (because they are rarely accompanied by any measure of proof) are irrelevant, often completely unwarranted and simply don't belong in the thread itself. If you really feel the need to express yourself, go write a PM, start a thread, whatever, but the sales threads themselves don't need the commentary.

Its no different then your neighbor putting a car for sale in the want ads, and when people start coming by to look at it, you stroll on over and start giving your "opinion" on why it isn't that great of a deal, or how you don't think he's changed the oil in six months. Its rude, discourteous, and above all, none of your damn business.

I agree. I've been here for less than a year and I did get some references PMs and thread comments. I quickly gave them, suffered through a month or so of slow sales and then everything was golden. My experience SHOULD be the norm. I agree that the seller should have maybe tried to be a bit more forthcoming, but perhaps he didn't get the chance. I dunno and it doesn't look like any of us are going to find out.

You really can't be more wrong. This is the Marketplace, not Comics General, not the Discussion thread. Negative "opinions" (because they are rarely accompanied by any measure of proof) are irrelevant, often completely unwarranted and simply don't belong in the thread itself. If you really feel the need to express yourself, go write a PM, start a thread, whatever, but the sales threads themselves don't need the commentary.

Its no different then your neighbor putting a car for sale in the want ads, and when people start coming by to look at it, you stroll on over and start giving your "opinion" on why it isn't that great of a deal, or how you don't think he's changed the oil in six months. Its rude, discourteous, and above all, none of your damn business.

EXTREMELY WELL PUT.......if you are not a board moderator you have no business, and no right to post a :takeit: just because you felt like it! Simply put this kind of behavior is just plain ridiculous and the :tonofbricks: offender :tonofbricks:should mind his own business, or take it to the appropriate forum :makepoint:

I agree. I've been here for less than a year and I did get some references PMs and thread comments. I quickly gave them, suffered through a month or so of slow sales and then everything was golden. My experience SHOULD be the norm. I agree that the seller should have maybe tried to be a bit more forthcoming, but perhaps he didn't get the chance. I dunno and it doesn't look like any of us are going to find out.

Good point !!!