• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bad transaction between me and Forum member GreatEscape

308 posts in this topic

Sorry to hear about this, Andy. Open and closed case. I'm sure GreatEscape is thinking about his next "great escape"... Want to get away?

You've always come across as reasonable...and to have someone take advantage of that is asking for Karma to kick you in the arse.

Hey Sterling...

I like to think I'm karmically aligned on this matter :cool: - the one time another Forumite sent off a book he purchased from me and it came back a lower grade and not the designated ped I thought it was, I refunded everything, including shipping both ways and his CGC costs.

Definitely karmically aligned...in serious need of a credit...

I think it's cool if you're off one grade...stuff happens...it's this kind of gross grading and behavior that makes me want to go Dark Knight on somebody. At the other end of the spectrum...I'm sure most folks don't want to deal with crybabies and anal retentives...what did I just categorize the whole hobby species? lol

You called?

Speaking of Dino, I havent' seen him post anything on the boards for quite sometime now. He usually posts at the GA thread, but lately I haven't seen any. Maybe his family problems maybe true? Even so, Dino has to somehow make this right whether it be a full refund, partial refund with books, etc.

Speaking of Dino, I havent' seen him post anything on the boards for quite sometime now. He usually posts at the GA thread, but lately I haven't seen any. Maybe his family problems maybe true? Even so, Dino has to somehow make this right whether it be a full refund, partial refund with books, etc.

thats a good idea man, i mean if he's having money problems why not offer a book to make up..maybe that would be easier for him

i dont know if that will happen but its a good idea

Speaking of Dino, I havent' seen him post anything on the boards for quite sometime now. He usually posts at the GA thread, but lately I haven't seen any. Maybe his family problems maybe true?

Here he is.

He seems to still be happily posting away on the CGC forums...including several posts made today.

To be fair, we haven't heard from Dino, perhaps he has something to add.

Unless Andy's been telling blatant lies(which I'm sure that no one believes) then I'm not sure what GE can add to make himself sound justified. (shrug)

It's obvious that Andy is telling the truth and that he calmly and accurately explained the transaction in this thread. Andy has been more than fair and has done his best to work with the seller.

I can't imagine what Dino could add to this thread but it would be nice to hear his side.

Amazingly...here's the last post that Dino/GreatEscape made just a few hours ago.

Sure sounds like he's having some serious family/money problems. doh!

Great poll and discussion!

My OA collecting-- like other hobbies I've enjoyed-- started with a "Wow!" followed by rapidly increasing "activity" (measured by spending time/money/emotion) as I am now building my collection, moderating whenever my available funds decline and/or other priorities begin to conflict, and eventually declining when the hobby provides less enjoyment/satisfaction. In business, this Intro-Growth-Maturity-Decline progression is called the 'product life cycle' which might explain alot about how my OA collecting might evolve:

product_life_cycle.gif

Like many, I began collecting OA in the past 5-6 years and currently in Growth phase celebrating :banana: every acquisition, actively building my collection and relishing the buzz in hunting for, acquiring and owning these treasures while staying true to my budget. I truly envy those 'seasoned' collectors with jaw-dropping grail pages and their tales of buying Miller and Byrne pages for $50 way back when. If only... :cloud9:

Eventually, when my collection peaks and the hobby 'buzz' loses a bit of intensity ("decent Watchmen bro'... :cool:"), I'll enter the Mature phase. I'll stop actively acquiring (except for a few 'must haves' and trading) since I'll probably think prices are too high compared to years past. In today's market, many dealers and established collectors are already here, having built solid core collections and have moderated their purchases except for opportunistic buying/selling ("please inquire") or selective trading ("trade only"). I'm already here in GA comics and, if fortune shines, my OA hobby will reach this phase in 8-10 years.

Finally, when the OA 'buzz' wanes for me meh , I'll plan on selling most of my OA so that other/newer collectors can enjoy and appreciate these works of art... keeping those 4-5 trophy pages that will adorn my beach villa in retirement.

...or maybe not.

Dino

You would think that if a guy said he was having problems and as a result he couldn't do a refund that he would be having a fire sale on here of his collection. hm

man i sold a book on here to a forum member and he thought it was undergraded

it would of been a week or two before i could pay him back but man i felt bad so i just sold some books to give him his money back

its a bad feeling to think you did someone wrong :sorry:

Speaking of Dino, I havent' seen him post anything on the boards for quite sometime now. He usually posts at the GA thread, but lately I haven't seen any. Maybe his family problems maybe true?

Here he is.

He seems to still be happily posting away on the CGC forums...including several posts made today.

Well, there goes my theory :tonofbricks:

You would think that if a guy said he was having problems and as a result he couldn't do a refund that he would be having a fire sale on here of his collection. hm

it would of been a week or two before i could pay him back but man i felt bad so i just sold some books to give him his money back

You undergraded and felt bad? (tsk)

Amazingly...here's the last post that Dino/GreatEscape made just a few hours ago.

Sure sounds like he's having some serious family/money problems. doh!

Great poll and discussion!

My OA collecting-- like other hobbies I've enjoyed-- started with a "Wow!" followed by rapidly increasing "activity" (measured by spending time/money/emotion) as I am now building my collection, moderating whenever my available funds decline and/or other priorities begin to conflict, and eventually declining when the hobby provides less enjoyment/satisfaction. In business, this Intro-Growth-Maturity-Decline progression is called the 'product life cycle' which might explain alot about how my OA collecting might evolve:

product_life_cycle.gif

Like many, I began collecting OA in the past 5-6 years and currently in Growth phase celebrating :banana: every acquisition, actively building my collection and relishing the buzz in hunting for, acquiring and owning these treasures while staying true to my budget. I truly envy those 'seasoned' collectors with jaw-dropping grail pages and their tales of buying Miller and Byrne pages for $50 way back when. If only... :cloud9:

Eventually, when my collection peaks and the hobby 'buzz' loses a bit of intensity ("decent Watchmen bro'... :cool:"), I'll enter the Mature phase. I'll stop actively acquiring (except for a few 'must haves' and trading) since I'll probably think prices are too high compared to years past. In today's market, many dealers and established collectors are already here, having built solid core collections and have moderated their purchases except for opportunistic buying/selling ("please inquire") or selective trading ("trade only"). I'm already here in GA comics and, if fortune shines, my OA hobby will reach this phase in 8-10 years.

Finally, when the OA 'buzz' wanes for me meh , I'll plan on selling most of my OA so that other/newer collectors can enjoy and appreciate these works of art... keeping those 4-5 trophy pages that will adorn my beach villa in retirement.

...or maybe not.

Dino

doh!doh!

Ouch, ouch, ouch. Not looking good.

You meant over-graded or was that a clever joke?

:D

I've bought and sold to Andy with zero problems. I've also sold to Dino with no problems. Very shocked to hear about this.

Within a reasonable time period, I accept returns if the buyer is unhappy. What is there really to debate about this?

As for problems the seller might be facing....we all have problems. Fact of the matter is they are your own problems and you've got to find a way of dealing with them without f-ing over the other guy. It's not the buyer's fault that you have financial problems or whatever. Find a way to suck it up and take the book back. Eat it. Put something on a credit card. Whatever, you find a way to deal with your own problems and not pass them off on somebody else.

I really hate to see this kind of stuff. It's like there is not end to this krap in this hobby. Makes me sad. :(

To be fair, we haven't heard from Dino, perhaps he has something to add.

Unless Andy's been telling blatant lies(which I'm sure that no one believes) then I'm not sure what GE can add to make himself sound justified. (shrug)

That he is a total person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed bag is a great start. :/

it's incredible the lengths people will go to try and get out of doing the right thing.

the "excuses" goldust was given for not getting a full and complete restitution are ridiculous. "grading is subjective?" seriously? are you really and truly going to try and sell that pot of weewee to someone of Andy's reputation and experience? don't get me started on the "family troubles" horsehockey. here's a hint; keep the funds in your bloody account until the receiving party is happy, you prat

Its a good amount of money, but not the size deal to blow up a reputation. I suspect this will be worked out, and we will see a post regarding this from other party.... my crystal ball says there will be a post from him sometime mid day tomorrow.

I was the buyer of the book that Andy spoke of a few pages before. When the book came back from CGC without the ped designation, Andy was beyond a "stand-up guy" about it. It was an honest mistake, and he fixed it with a speed that showed to me that he cared. I had dealt with Andy a couple of times before that...and have done so since. I am in the process of possibly getting more books from him in the next several months. We have made trades, and sold each other books for several years now. I say all of this to make a point, and the point is that I trust Andy. He is one of the good guys...and the seller of the book in question messed with the wrong forum member. I most definitely have Andy's back in this barfight.

Andy,

So sorry to hear about all of this and I hope a solution presents itself soon.

I met Andy in San Diego this past July and the guy is 100% class (thumbs u

Best of luck to you, Andy, and let me know when you're in Oregon.

--Royce