• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your Magazine collection.
27 27

8,232 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, speedcake said:

will be interesting to see what the 7.5 ends up going for.  I hadn't considered slabbing my copy, but...

My 8.5 went for $180.00 in June when I picked it up from Heritage then a 9.0 sold for $625.00 in September so I’m certainly interested to see what the 7.5 brings at market...

Edited by N e r V

24 minutes ago, N e r V said:

My 8.5 went for $180.00 in June when I picked it up from Heritage then a 9.0 sold for $625.00 in September so I’m certainly interested to see what the 7.5 brings at market...

The book has been tough in high grade for a very long time.  The market has only recently discovered this but it’s not like 10 years ago you could easily find copies in 9.0 or above.  I’m not sure what the valuations of 9.2s and 9.4s are going to be in a year or so (mostly because data is so scant), but my guess is 9.2s will be around $1200 and 9.4s will be $2000ish.  Some of this is due to scarcity and a lot has to do with what the original painting sold for.  If a collector is looking for a copy, I’d grab it now.  Otherwise, it’ll be another one of those books that ran away while you were waiting for a “better deal”

55 minutes ago, chevalmeow said:

I have a couple copies of Eerie #23 but I don't think they're any better than 7.0s.  Here is my recent Psycho 18 purchase from Stevemmg's sales thread.  Pretty book!

1034058231_Psycho18.thumb.jpg.9dac728cab20a9a4f080f5efd701b9c5.jpgI h

Such a tough book to find in high grade, you certainly have a great eye for horror sexiness.

20 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

Why upgrade when you can hoard!!  :banana:

Yup.  While you guys are putting all your money into a single high-grade copy, I'm going to buy all the 4.0-6.0 copies I can find at a fraction of the price.  I'll see how many magazine boxes I can fill with Frazetta covers before the rest of the comic-collecting world figures out that they sell magazine-sized bags, boards, and boxes. 

Seems like a better place to put my money right now than the stock market, TBH. :)

And as long as I'm looking through the boxes, I suppose I'll buy at least a single copy of the non-Frazetta issues so that I can put together runs of Vampirella, Creepy, and Eerie.  

On 2/12/2020 at 6:18 PM, OtherEric said:

Oh, I rely on Lone Star's undergrading whenever I order from them; and I find I get lucky far more often than not on the unscanned books as well.  I was just saying that I could see enough dings on my book this time that the 6.0 probably wasn't technically wrong... but it presents quite a bit better than a typical 6.0.

Their grading is strange.  I've found that a 6.0 can be a 6.0 to a 7.5 or so.  Their books aren't all under graded.  Some of them are right on, but some of them are extremely under graded.  You really have to look at the scans carefully to figure them out.  The 2.0 grade is strange too.  I see 2.0s that are just standard 2.0s, and some that anyone else would call 4.0s.  

I also think that they are even stricter than normal on the high grades of magazines.   

20 minutes ago, Hamlet said:

Yup.  While you guys are putting all your money into a single high-grade copy, I'm going to buy all the 4.0-6.0 copies I can find at a fraction of the price.  I'll see how many magazine boxes I can fill with Frazetta covers before the rest of the comic-collecting world figures out that they sell magazine-sized bags, boards, and boxes. 

Seems like a better place to put my money right now than the stock market, TBH. :)

And as long as I'm looking through the boxes, I suppose I'll buy at least a single copy of the non-Frazetta issues so that I can put together runs of Vampirella, Creepy, and Eerie.  

Sounds like sound advice.^^