Ask Gator
21 21

7,117 posts in this topic

3,369 posts

Hang tough.  Our thoughts are with you, your family, employees, and neighbors, and with everyone affected.

15,085 posts

I don't do well with adversity. My first wall of self defense us usually trying to find some humor somewhere, in any situation. Unfortunately, I just can't come up with anything for this. Just tragic. As some one who has been through a similar situation (fire) and a couple of severe health scares, I can only offer this advice. Have faith, have patience and ride it out. It will be behind you someday. And, if you can even find the slighest bit of humor somewhere, hang on to it. It has always helped me. 

8,717 posts
11 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Some limited service right now. 

Our shopping center is 75% destroyed. (I’m talking no walls or roof etc)

we were lucky to be on the western  end (where our store was in the middle of the complex 2 years ago is completely wiped out )

the roof in back of store caved in. My office and all personal art and collectibles is gone. Backroom inv compromised. The building buckled and I have “V” like buckling in ceiling which of course allowed water intrusin

spent all day thur, fri and sat ripping out wet carpet and trying to salvage what I could. Then had to do the same at my house...

its been a nightmare but being alive is the consolation. 

Rick, when you said "gone" did you mean in the literal sense ...as in not there, perhaps looted... or did you mean destroyed by the roof caving and wind/rain damage?

My point is that looted collectibles have a way of showing up later, when dirtbags try to reap an unearned payday for their illgotten booty.

57,659 posts
6 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Rick, when you said "gone" did you mean in the literal sense ...as in not there, perhaps looted... or did you mean destroyed by the roof caving and wind/rain damage?

My point is that looted collectibles have a way of showing up later, when dirtbags try to reap an unearned payday for their illgotten booty.

Destroyed 

11,180 posts

I'm just sick to my stomach after reading what happened to your home and business Rick.  I'm sure some of your personal art and collectibles are irreplaceable.  I'm wishing you the best in everything from here on out. Be safe out there!

4,022 posts
13 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Destroyed 

Sorry to hear that.   Hoping that some combination of insurance and/or perserverance will get you through.  

57,659 posts
11 minutes ago, bluechip said:

Sorry to hear that.   Hoping that some combination of insurance and/or perserverance will get you through.  

Only coverage I had content wise was theft. Hurricane wasn’t offered on our product. Hoping cia covers 

4,022 posts
2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Only coverage I had content wise was theft. Hurricane wasn’t offered on our product. Hoping cia covers 

Crossed my fingers for you.   I had a policy with them once but don't recall whether it covered weather.

657 posts

I'm really sorry you have to go through this, Rick.  After Katrina and no power for 21 days, I have some idea of what you are going through.  It does get better--hang In there, my friend.

2,923 posts

Rick,  I'm sorry about your loss.  you said your collectibles were destroyed. Did your Centaur collection survive?

3,064 posts

Rick,

Keep in mind that the damage to your collection is likely the result of a "wind storm" or "natural disaster," not a "flood."  The conventional wisdom is you should IMMEDIATELY reach out to your insurer and tender the claim.  Also, document the damage by taking pictures on your phone, especially if you are cleaning up that damage.   

57,659 posts

This is back of our shopping center. I’m 5 doors down so my back wall is largely still there. Ceiling collapsed though and the building buckled (parts of ceiling now “V” down. 

1E2ED673-09FF-440C-97C1-B3D7BF19A344.jpeg

25,594 posts
20 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Rick, Have  you contacted FEMA? When we were struck by Sandy, our finished basement and the furniture was not covered by our regular policy, nor was all the stuff in our yard, but FEMA covered most of it, much to my surprise. We did live in a flood zone and had flood insurance, but I would think you were in a flood zone, too?

21,849 posts

So sorry to see his happen to anyone, let alone a friend. I know I am not around the block, but have a generator if you need it. 

4,529 posts

Unbelievable...!  I've been out of touch with the news for a few days and just read all this.  I hope you are compensated thoroughly for your losses Rick...:foryou:

1,106 posts

Very sorry to hear this. My family lost our home in Hurricane Rita in 2005. Hoping for a quick recovery process for you. 

Edited by rsouxlja7

4,697 posts
On 10/17/2018 at 5:08 PM, G.A.tor said:

Destroyed 

I am very sorry for your losses. It just "ain't  right"  a famous san diego expression by the famous Mike turko.  Rick, what you might to consider is coming to Calle...I.E> San Diego...and relocate your home base rather than rebuild  just to this happen  again a few years later or just have a second place to go in situations like this, you would be very welcomed here...any help in that let me know.. In the meantime good luck and god bless

Edited by Mmehdy