• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Bird said:

I tried this last week and he said something like "what longboxes?" (shrug)

:devil:

:headbang:

when a shop near me closed around 10 years ago I had been buying his blowout books, $20 a short box, for anything he had in $1-$2 boxes, that sort of thing, we had become friendly, i'd bring him johnny walker (my friend worked for the distributor and got it free). on his last day he still had 6 long boxes of drek. he was just going to give them to me. I thought about my wife yelling at me and having to drag them up 3 flights of stairs and told him to keep them. that was when drek was drek and i had already picked the boxes. now i wonder how many thousands of $ were in those boxes at 2021 prices.

48 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Just sold 67 boxes of bulk $1 stuff for $30 per yesterday. I was at a show last weekend and there were TONS of dollar boxes out and most of them were for sale at the end of the show for $30 each.

were the ones you sold picked over or were you offering the $30 at the start too? end of the show $30 boxes always mean to me they were probably picked over pretty well... of course, maybe that's not true ... a couple of years ago a dollar box guy sold me about 200 dollar books for $100 at the end of the show and I got a lot of decent stuff in there like 10+ nice copies of MCP 72 and the rest of the weapon x books all nice and bagged and boarded (I think i have a few complete sets), so somehow $1 copies of MCP 72 had survived 4 days of NYCC and not been bought (unless he refreshed his inventory in mid-show).  PITA dragging them home on the subway along with 2 other boxes of krap i bought as the trains were messed up and it was 3 trains for me to get home.

Edited by the blob

about 16 years ago on these boards metropolis offered 6000 CA books (according to them) for $600 (I think). Basically, as they had standards, it was the sort of stuff they wouldn't bother selling, so presumably stuff worth under $6-10 a pop then (which was 99.9% of CA books). i had visions of it being pretty decent quality CA, but who knows, they didn't give many details. I was living in a 1 bedroom apartment and my storage room was already packed and I figured it was just too much to process and I passed. It was kind of a no brainer, of course, I just didn't want to pay another $200 a month on another storage room for it. I wound up moving to  a big house a couple of years later and it would not have been an issue. Did anyone here buy it? I wonder what 2021 treasures were in there. Back then you could fish copies of Omega Men 3 and Moon Knight 1 out of dollar boxes, so who knows?

7 minutes ago, the blob said:

about 16 years ago on these boards metropolis offered 6000 CA books (according to them) for $600 (I think). Basically, as they had standards, it was the sort of stuff they wouldn't bother selling, so presumably stuff worth under $6-10 a pop then (which was 99.9% of CA books). i had visions of it being pretty decent quality CA, but who knows, they didn't give many details. I was living in a 1 bedroom apartment and my storage room was already packed and I figured it was just too much to process and I passed. It was kind of a no brainer, of course, I just didn't want to pay another $200 a month on another storage room for it. I wound up moving to  a big house a couple of years later and it would not have been an issue. Did anyone here buy it? I wonder what 2021 treasures were in there. Back then you could fish copies of Omega Men 3 and Moon Knight 1 out of dollar boxes, so who knows?

Find the thread and take them now....

Canto #1 seems to have been pretty much exterminated from ebay in the last 2 days.

I assume there's a show brewing?

Which is the 'best' #1 to look for out there?

Must admit, besides the obvious UF #4, NM #98 etc, I'd pretty much left moderns alone, but I might be able to snag one - appreciate the info on this book. :foryou:

1 hour ago, the blob said:

when a shop near me closed around 10 years ago I had been buying his blowout books, $20 a short box, for anything he had in $1-$2 boxes, that sort of thing, we had become friendly, i'd bring him johnny walker (my friend worked for the distributor and got it free). on his last day he still had 6 long boxes of drek. he was just going to give them to me. I thought about my wife yelling at me and having to drag them up 3 flights of stairs and told him to keep them. that was when drek was drek and i had already picked the boxes. now i wonder how many thousands of $ were in those boxes at 2021 prices.

Atleast you didn't get divorced.  That's more costly  then those hidden gems lost in the drek. ...

4 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Atleast you didn't get divorced.  That's more costly  then those hidden gems lost in the drek. ...

I don't think she would have divorced me. We just got married. Heck, she might have been pregnant, which might have been another reason not to want to deal with 25 or so long boxes.

6 hours ago, the blob said:

I have all those things being a positive for me. I am an upper middle class earner. (OK, at the bottom end of upper middle class.) I am no doubt saving money during the pandemic. hundreds of dollars each month. it doesn't cause me to drop $2500 on a book that was $800 not long ago. It has totally made me think about buying $15-25-50-$150 books I might not have thought about before. Absolutely. Is it really some well off folks taking ALL of their $5,000 or whatever covid savings and plowing them into a couple of books? How many of these people are there?

We're also assuming this is all US buyers. There's plenty of folks outside of the US who have now been exposed to the MCU over the past 15+ years and are embracing Americana that is comics. As mentioned by someone earlier, they may not necessarily have the depth of knowledge that most seasoned collectors have. And this may also apply to the newbies crossing over from trading/sports cards.

47 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

Uncanny X-men 509

Looks like a solid $10-15. 

Why?  Only thing I'm seeing is that it's a cool Land Psy cover. 

I'll have to watch for that in the wild.  

Patrick

Used to pick this up regularly for a buck or two, five or so years ago. Always liked the cover.

14 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

You can't, because I bought them.

I just recently pulled four boxes out of the vault - they were boxes that in 2004 I went through and put back. There were a lot of books that are still drek - Malibu, terrible Now books, that sort of thing - but there were also lots of single digit Turtles, maybe 20 copies of the Dave Stevens cover Planet Comics, a whole pile of high grade Moon Knight, and a bunch of other stuff. I dumped three long to 2nd and Charles and got $250 in credit.

were these the metropolis boxes?

10 minutes ago, BishopT said:

Used to pick this up regularly for a buck or two, five or so years ago. Always liked the cover.

For clarity, I also really like the cover.  Just seems so random. 

I remember Astonishing Ant-man 10 Frisson variant doing well for a bit, but then dropped (also a Psy cover). 

Looked at the prices for the 1st time in years and am pleasantly surprised to see it pulls $30.  

It was one of those covers that instantly grabbed me (and I'm really not a variant fan).

Now X-men Unlimited 47, that seems to be down.  Fantastic Middleton cover and at a time when people weren't buying X-men Unlimited any more. 

Patrick