• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, brentdevil said:

I think he meant the Marvel Team Up with Spider-Man and Invincible- I assume the reason was that Marvel didn't need to put the logo since he owned the character and gave his permission, and Image had nothing to do with the final product. Unless I'm mistaken about what we're talking about- we need to start listing the comic when replying to quotes from pages ago.

Yes, he wrote the entire Marvel Team-up series.  Invincible was a one-time guest star.  

I could see them agreeing to adding Image, but I'm almost positive it was prior to this partnership w/ Image. 

Patrick 

8 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I totally understand that. If I ran an LCS, I'd probably limit everything to 1/customer the week of release to give everyone a chance to get a copy. Other than pre-orders, of course.

I think it is more than fair on new releases. Dumb for something sitting on the rack for weeks. 

5 hours ago, the blob said:

This book that got a 9.4 I thought I saw one super faint spine tick and was not even sure it wasn't part of the cover. i am traumatized.

Maybe time to start a Revenge Grading Thread about it. :baiting:

135378498_giphy(21).gif.2a95b8dc669e836c4cd96154739d4d7a.gif

3 minutes ago, the blob said:

No. Someone is going to get a really nice 9.4 that could be a 9.6 on a different day. It has me reconsidering a fair number of future submissions though.

I'm only doing pre-screen submissions until something changes. Definitely cuts back on my submissions, but don't really want to risk it on some of these books where it's 9.8 or bust.

2 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

I'm only doing pre-screen submissions until something changes. Definitely cuts back on my submissions, but don't really want to risk it on some of these books where it's 9.8 or bust.

it isn't even my book anymore, and it is still worth a boat load in 9.4, just frustrated at what i thought was an awfully nice modern coming back a 9.4, I need to revise all my listings top make sure I don't say anything is better than a 9.4

1 minute ago, awakeintheashes said:

it's 9.8 or bust.

Ain’t that the truth. I do my own best prescreen on such books and hope to make up for any losses with volume (something my grandfather said you could never do). 

2 hours ago, mr_highgrade said:

Undergrading is putting it midly. 

So have their standards changed? If so, does that not invalidate the grades on older slabs? Or is just our imagination? I’ve heard other people saying they seem to be stricter lately on youtube. Grading lives or dies on consistency.

7 minutes ago, BrooksR said:

So have their standards changed? If so, does that not invalidate the grades on older slabs? Or is just our imagination? I’ve heard other people saying they seem to be stricter lately on youtube. Grading lives or dies on consistency.

It seems like there are phases where grading is stricter than at other times and vice versa. No idea what causes it, though.

27 minutes ago, the blob said:

No. Someone is going to get a really nice 9.4 that could be a 9.6 on a different day. It has me reconsidering a fair number of future submissions though.

17 minutes ago, the blob said:

it isn't even my book anymore, and it is still worth a boat load in 9.4, just frustrated at what i thought was an awfully nice modern coming back a 9.4, I need to revise all my listings top make sure I don't say anything is better than a 9.4

I really am sorry to hear this. I realize that my joke was in poor taste, considering I too know this frustration of seeing a grade that just does not bake sense.  

I do know you are not the type to go ranting about revenge grading and truly only meant that in jest. 

I am sure whoever ended up with that one agrees that it is a really beautiful 9.4 and I too have severely cut back due to the mass influx that has lead to more rush jobs, inconsistency, and damage. I really do hope they get these issues sorted out. 

:foryou:

17 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I really am sorry to hear this. I realize that my joke was in poor taste, considering I too know this frustration of seeing a grade that just does not bake sense.  

I do know you are not the type to go ranting about revenge grading and truly only meant that in jest. 

I am sure whoever ended up with that one agrees that it is a really beautiful 9.4 and I too have severely cut back due to the mass influx that has lead to more rush jobs, inconsistency, and damage. I really do hope they get these issues sorted out. 

We just have PTSD from the card forums....:o

28 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

It seems like there are phases where grading is stricter than at other times and vice versa. No idea what causes it, though.

I have two recent examples. One is a HQ Villain of the Year. When it finally was graded it was the only 9.4 of my 9.8's. I looked at the grader's note which stated "long scratch front cover." I'm like, there is no way and this must have been somewhere in the handling but not mine. Because I also sell on the side variants and what not that I grade, I take a lot of time pre-screening. When it finally arrived, I had to hold it at a certain angle and could barely see what I would call a production misprint line running vertically from the top to the bottom of the comic. Not sure how I missed this one except that it is really, really faint and you cannot see it head on.

For the second one, I fully expected a lower NM grade because of what appears to be a chip/flake off of the cover in the lower left corner. This one is HTF and sells quickly so I was not too worried about it. However, it came back a 9.8 as you can see. I posted the bottom corner.

Just never know sometimes either way as you say...

Resized.jpg

Untitled1_LI.jpg

5 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

He'll be making good money on it unless the market crashes in a week, just not as much as I had hoped he would.

4 minutes ago, the blob said:

He'll be making good money on it unless the market crashes in a week, just not as much as I had hoped he would.

Any profit is still a win. Agreed that it just may not be as much as originally was hoped for. 

That jab wasn't really directly intended toward you , but a general,  at the sad state that a lot of the boards have descend to with the introduction of the Cardkids.  :cry:

Sorry to hear they dinged that book of yours.  :foryou:

2 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

A better question is why did it even go to a second or third print when the first is still out there in abundance.  

I’ve been thinking about this lately. It used to be they’d reprint a comic if it sold out and there was still demand. That makes sense. Now it seems like every issue of a series gets 2nd and 3rd prints, sometimes 5 or more. These seem to be planned before the first print even comes out. Not to mention all of the variant covers. Why do they continually reprint when they earlier prints ate still available?

5 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Any profit is still a win. Agreed that it just may not be as much as originally was hoped for. 

That jab wasn't really directly intended toward you , but a general,  at the sad state that a lot of the boards have descend to with the introduction of the Cardkids.  :cry:

Sorry to hear they dinged that book of yours.  :foryou:

It just makes me worried I am going to get pounded doing a 9.6 pre-screen

I generally don't try to grade a book over a 9.4 anyway, I just don't have enough experience with CGC's standards to really speculate (owning a few 9.4 - 9.8 books over the years isn't enough), but on this one I felt good that it would get a 9.6. live and learn. last 9.4 was in the $600s, 9.6 might be mid/high $700s, 9.8 might be cracking $1000.

I look at my Legion 23 Supergirl Hughes and see a 9.6-9.8, I might have to readjust my retirement plans...

8 minutes ago, BrooksR said:

I’ve been thinking about this lately. It used to be they’d reprint a comic if it sold out and there was still demand. That makes sense. Now it seems like every issue of a series gets 2nd and 3rd prints, sometimes 5 or more. These seem to be planned before the first print even comes out. Not to mention all of the variant covers. Why do they continually reprint when they earlier prints ate still available?

I think of this like commercials and advertising.  Where they realized repetition and getting it in front of people more tend to generate sales. Add the different art, variants, print runs.  I think a whole lot of this is just throwing sh*t at the wall to see what sticks..