Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
101 101

48,687 posts in this topic

19,176 posts
1 hour ago, Nico Esq said:

I'm afraid Chew is going to end up like the Goon and never get made.  When that book came out (those first 20 issues or so) it was amazing.  I don't know if it ever makes it to TV or the big screen, but it will always have a soft spot in my heart.  Same deal with Cowboy, Ninja, Viking which I think would be a cult classic film that may win an academy award and/or bomb at the box office so bad that it ruins careers (actors, directors, producers alike).

I also have a soft spot for origin stories (remember when they were a big deal) and big events (death of Jason Todd or Gwen Stacey, the proposal/wedding of superman, etc.) again I think this kind of stuff probably has speculative value in the long term but I think it's going to be a slow steady climb like Chew when most people are looking for the potential for explosive gains.  

Personally,  I long for a time when story and art drove investment, but we are in an era where many comics don't get opened for fear of causing micro imperfections and people have turned to collecting comic cover art.  That hurts my heart, but I think the way out is to talk abont stories we love.  I don't know that there's a lot of upside to speculating on or investing in titles like Fear Agent or Hack and Slash, but I enjoy those books and I'm still buying them and selling them.    

There are so many Netflix, etc shows getting cranked out, not sure why these well done comics can't be done there. Goon is tricky because I don't think the comedic elements carry over to live action and an animated series is a hard sell. Dunno why an animated movie can do $500 million at the box office, but adults will refuse to watch it on tv. I might be able to get my wife to a goon movie, she might even like it (less likely), but I can never get her to watch the tv show and she liked WD, preacher, American gods, tried Constantine, even I zombie (will not watch super heroes tho)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,990 posts
1 minute ago, the blob said:

There are so many Netflix, etc shows getting cranked out, not sure why these well done comics can't be done there. Goon is tricky because I don't think the comedic elements carry over to live action and an animated series is a hard sell. Dunno why an animated movie can do $500 million at the box office, but adults will refuse to watch it on tv. I might be able to get my wife to a goon movie, she might even like it (less likely), but I can never get her to watch the tv show and she liked WD, preacher, American gods, tried Constantine, even I zombie (will not watch super heroes tho)

I have started telling people things like "you remember that movie a History of Violence? .[dramatic pause]  Yeah, that was a comic book first."  Because it makes sense that something like Men In Black was a comic book before it was a movie, but it's counter intuitive for people who aren't comic collectors to even imagine that properties like Frank Miller's 300 were comics before they were films.  I'm really grateful to live in a time when there are going to be so many more comics that turn into TV/Film properties.  I think that Hollywood has realized that comics are the greatest focus group imaginable and a wealth of untapped creativity, but it's taken the better part of a century for Hollywood to get that.  Who knows how long it may take the rest of the population? lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19,176 posts
1 minute ago, Nico Esq said:

I have started telling people things like "you remember that movie a History of Violence? .[dramatic pause]  Yeah, that was a comic book first."  Because it makes sense that something like Men In Black was a comic book before it was a movie, but it's counter intuitive for people who aren't comic collectors to even imagine that properties like Frank Miller's 300 were comics before they were films.  I'm really grateful to live in a time when there are going to be so many more comics that turn into TV/Film properties.  I think that Hollywood has realized that comics are the greatest focus group imaginable and a wealth of untapped creativity, but it's taken the better part of a century for Hollywood to get that.  Who knows how long it may take the rest of the population? lol

Chew, Goon, and Fear Agent (obviously there are others) also have 3 - 4 seasons of potential plots already half written for TV shows. I don't understand the economics of Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. (and my friend who is in the industry and creates TV shows has a hard time grasping how the numbers work as well)... the joke about how amazing it was that 30 million people watched Bird Box.. on 12 Netflix accounts... (apparently it was watched on 45 million Netflix accounts, but not everybody finished it... I am shocked there are that many). Anyway, I am new to that world of TV. HATED watching anything on our laptop. Finally got an internet capable TV this summer (had a 17 year old TV) and the options are amazing. Just don't have the time to watch the stuff I would like to watch. Maybe have 90 minutes a night of vegging out in me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,079 posts
5 hours ago, the blob said:

Chew, Goon, and Fear Agent (obviously there are others) also have 3 - 4 seasons of potential plots already half written for TV shows. I don't understand the economics of Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. (and my friend who is in the industry and creates TV shows has a hard time grasping how the numbers work as well)... the joke about how amazing it was that 30 million people watched Bird Box.. on 12 Netflix accounts... (apparently it was watched on 45 million Netflix accounts, but not everybody finished it... I am shocked there are that many). Anyway, I am new to that world of TV. HATED watching anything on our laptop. Finally got an internet capable TV this summer (had a 17 year old TV) and the options are amazing. Just don't have the time to watch the stuff I would like to watch. Maybe have 90 minutes a night of vegging out in me.

Don't forget Millarworld was purchased by Netflix.  Jupiter's Legacy, Huck and a few others are in the pipline.  Plus the 2 new series he developed specifically to make for netflix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,877 posts
10 hours ago, Bird said:

If anyone sees The Goon Library #3, it is a monster on ebay. Retail is $39.99 and I just sold one for $165 shipped. There are 5 Goon Library editions but only #3 sells like this from what I see.

yea, I had that in my DCBS pre-order months ago and dumped it as they seemed to just be sitting there and I would get it a couple months later....nope!  I have 1 and 2, no #3:cry:.  I can't bring myself to spend that kind of $$$ on a book that was $22 on DCBS for months.  Some sellers are asking upwards of $300 for it!!!  It is nowhere to be found in my area either, oh well.  I should get 4 and 5 at least before they go OOP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,986 posts
9 minutes ago, gradejunky said:

yea, I had that in my DCBS pre-order months ago and dumped it as they seemed to just be sitting there and I would get it a couple months later....nope!  I have 1 and 2, no #3:cry:.  I can't bring myself to spend that kind of $$$ on a book that was $22 on DCBS for months.  Some sellers are asking upwards of $300 for it!!!  It is nowhere to be found in my area either, oh well.  I should get 4 and 5 at least before they go OOP.

I plucked 3 out of a set at a closing store, they still have 1, 2, 4, 5 at 25% off the retail $39.99. I almost bought them all to offer as a set but no more profit was in it really than I could get with just the #3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,877 posts
1 minute ago, Bird said:

I plucked 3 out of a set at a closing store, they still have 1, 2, 4, 5 at 25% off the retail $39.99. I almost bought them all to offer as a set but no more profit was in it really than I could get with just the #3.

you can still get 1, 2, 4, 5 from DCBS/In Stock Trades for like 45% off retail

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,210 posts

For as common as it is, 52 #11 seems to do well enough. 

Pretty consistent between $15-20. But a few recent sales at $35.  

Seems like an easy-ish find for cheap.  Pretty cool cover. 

Patrick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15,541 posts

Harley Quinn 57, cover B, released today, is already sold out everywhere and people are asking stupid money for it.  If your LCS happens to have any, might be a good short term pick up. 

 

HQ 57 Tedesco Cover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
411 posts
4 hours ago, cd4ever said:

Harley Quinn 57, cover B, released today, is already sold out everywhere and people are asking stupid money for it.  If your LCS happens to have any, might be a good short term pick up. 

 

HQ 57 Tedesco Cover

My shop only got two in, and I knew it was a hot book but only grabbed one. They seem to be selling for just under $20 shipped, right now. Awesome cover, though. I'm surprised today's Alex Ross and Adam Hughes' Captain Marvel covers aren't going for more, they're lovely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,959 posts
5 hours ago, cd4ever said:

Harley Quinn 57, cover B, released today, is already sold out everywhere and people are asking stupid money for it.  If your LCS happens to have any, might be a good short term pick up. 

 

HQ 57 Tedesco Cover

I only found one copy for $20 locally. Looks like most copies on eBay are selling for around that. I could see it increasing once the copies on there run dry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,641 posts
20 minutes ago, Bighaley21 said:

I only found one copy for $20 locally. Looks like most copies on eBay are selling for around that. I could see it increasing once the copies on there run dry.

Wow, I'm glad I saw this. I just called my LCS and they put one aside for me. Love this cover, love my LCS !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39,459 posts
On 1/8/2019 at 7:14 AM, Nico Esq said:

the verasity of the reporting, etc.

Like trusting a lawyer that can't spell veracity??? :baiting:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,601 posts

Regarding the Harley Quinn...

My LCS had 2 for $14.99 each, but I didn't feel like getting into it. I looked for 30 minutes for something else in my budget and decided to see a movie instead...

:sorry:

It is a nice cover though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,468 posts
35 minutes ago, Mapleleafvann said:

I am little surprised at how many responses on here are about the price of this book being $15 or $20 at the various LCS' of some Boardies.  That's junk.  This is a new release and LCS' really shouldn't jack up the price on release day.  I would recommend anyone paying this ransom amount will seriously look at another venue to spend their money.  

Unless the customer had specifically ordered it earlier, the LCS has no obligation to give away desperately needed profit to enable dirty flippers to make money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
759 posts
1 minute ago, Lazyboy said:

Unless the customer had specifically ordered it earlier, the LCS has no obligation to give away desperately needed profit to enable dirty flippers to make money.

Why are you assuming that the people who did not preorder one, but want one from their local comic shop are "dirty flippers" out to just make money?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,596 posts
58 minutes ago, Mapleleafvann said:

I am little surprised at how many responses on here are about the price of this book being $15 or $20 at the various LCS' of some Boardies.  That's junk.  This is a new release and LCS' really shouldn't jack up the price on release day.  I would recommend anyone paying this ransom amount will seriously look at another venue to spend their money.  

Would you rather have the store hold them back and sell them in a few days at a mark up or is it just as bad?

Went to three stores today at open, I ended up finding two copies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
759 posts
6 minutes ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

Would you rather have the store hold them back and sell them in a few days at a mark up or is it just as bad?

Went to three stores today at open, I ended up finding two copies.

Some stores hold inventory on spec, some don't.  My point is that there are lots of shops not jacking up the price of a book on release day.  Look at your options as there just may be some better ones available. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39,459 posts
41 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Unless the customer had specifically ordered it earlier, the LCS has no obligation to give away desperately needed profit to enable dirty flippers to make money.

Wow, who pee'd in YOUR Cheerios?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
101 101