• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pressing

361 posts in this topic

Well, the sky isn't always blue.

...... And I honestly believe that I could resist the temptation to press a book even with that kind of money at stake. At what point does anyone give up on the things they believe in?

I believe it would go unpressed.Many people on these boards wouldnt press for any amount of money.

...... And I honestly believe that I could resist the temptation to press a book even with that kind of money at stake. At what point does anyone give up on the things they believe in?

I believe it would go unpressed.Many people on these boards wouldnt press for any amount of money.

For any amount of money? Come on. Aside from the Warren Buffetts of the world, 99.9% of everyone has a price.

You have these bends, dents, creases or whatever you want to call them. The paper isn't broken. There isn't a separation of fibers. Through the addition of heat, some moisture and pressure, these fibers are realigned. They aren't added back to the book. They were always there. It's the same thing that can happen with tightly stored books in a warm environment with the presence of humidity.

You best describe, for me, why the whole phenomenon is a sham.

Both Pressers and Graders are assessing non-damaged paper-states. Pressers discern, Graders only deduct.

In an ideal system Graders could also discern what is actual and permanent damage, to the benefit of consumers. Giving their paying clients a more factual, accurate and reality-based assessment, applying the same level of expertise Pressers bring to bare.

Defect noun - an imperfection that impairs worth or utility.

Sham noun - A thing that is not what it is purported to be.

You are the very reason that even if I hated pressing with a passion rivaled by none I would still press every book I could lay my hands on.

Just ignore him Doc.He hates everything.

For any amount of money? Come on. Aside from the Warren Buffetts of the world, 99.9% of everyone has a price.

Honestly I do believe that.What price do you put on their beliefs.

You have these bends, dents, creases or whatever you want to call them. The paper isn't broken. There isn't a separation of fibers. Through the addition of heat, some moisture and pressure, these fibers are realigned. They aren't added back to the book. They were always there. It's the same thing that can happen with tightly stored books in a warm environment with the presence of humidity.

Both Pressers and Graders are assessing non-damaged paper-states. Pressers discern, Graders only deduct.

In an ideal system Graders could also discern what is actual and permanent damage, to the benefit of consumers. Giving their paying clients a more factual, accurate and reality-based assessment, applying the same level of expertise Pressers bring to bare.

You are the very reason that even if I hated pressing with a passion rivaled by none I would still press every book I could lay my hands on.

lol Go for it. Be in it to win it. :D Fatten those coffers while the gettin's good. :devil:

Anyway, pressing every book in sight doesn't change the fact that professional Graders just aren't up to par with the reality Pressers understand. (thumbs u

Shame, that. Loopholes will be exploited, a phenomenon as old as time.

I'm sorry,but I will never knowingly buy a pressed book.Nor would I have a book pressed. :popcorn:

Take 40 comics. Stack on top of a comic with non color breaking creases. Leave for 5 years.

Have you "restored" the comic at the bottom of the stack?

If you answer no, pressing is not restoration. If you answer yes, you're a d-bag who needs to get a life.

Put one hand under a stack of forty comics and the other hand in a proper press with some heat and moisture and compare the feeling. I know which one I'd rather risk my hand with.

:signfunny:

Mikey?

I'm sorry,but I will never knowingly buy a pressed book.Nor wood I have a book pressed. :popcorn:

That is what im saying.Many people on these boards would never press a book. (thumbs u

Mikey?

He doesnt even like life cereal.

I'm sorry,but I will never knowingly buy a pressed book.Nor wood I have a book pressed. :popcorn:

Speaking of wood - if I have an antique file cabinet that has a bunch of small surface dents and dings - would it be unethical for me to steam out the small imperfections and clean the surface?

Speaking of wood - if I have an antique file cabinet that has a bunch of small surface dents and dings - would it be unethical for me to steam out the small imperfections and clean the surface?

I don't collect antique file cabinets,you can do whatever you want to it as far as I'm concerned.When it comes to comics,the above is my opinion and that's what I collect.You can do what you like,but I'll stick to my likes and dislikes. (thumbs u

If I had a stack of early 90s Image comics, buried them far beneath the surface and let mother earth's natural heat and pressure guide them to an alternate state, would I have diamonds, cubic zirconium, or diamonique in a few millions years?

If I had a stack of early 90s Image comics, buried them far beneath the surface and let mother earth's natural heat and pressure guide them to an alternate state, would I have diamonds, cubic zirconium, or diamonique in a few millions years?

You just might if you burned them first.

:roflmao: More like compost.

That's what mother earth's heat is for. :baiting:

On the other hand, I'm not sure they'd burn. hm

That's what mother earth's heat is for. :baiting:

On the other hand, I'm not sure they'd burn. hm

Perhaps the diamonds we cherish so much were once a couple of skids of Image comics from a long lost utopian society from a million years ago. hm