• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
20 20

4,876 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Bebop a we bop

Bebop they bop

A

Bebop a loop she bop

:whistle:

Some song once upon a time I heard but am unfamiliar lol

Some ol Cyndi..

For some reason I just got the mental imagery of Joe Dirt claiming to be a , "Rocker through and through ." But the DJ says "come on I think it was probably more like this"

tenor-10.gif.cf75076303fe5ef4a39f1716a83823a0.gif

which then makes me wonder what song was really playing in your head? hmgiphy-7.gif.f5a610235819108a966678f73a881dd0.gif

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite
Rebooted

3 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Some ol Ruhbarb Pie... 

For some reason I just got the mental imagery of Joe Dirt claiming to be a , "Rocker through and through ." But the DJ says "come on I think it was probably more like this"

tenor-10.gif.cf75076303fe5ef4a39f1716a83823a0.gif

which then makes me wonder what song was really playing in your head? hmgiphy-7.gif.f5a610235819108a966678f73a881dd0.gif

Homie Don't Play That :sumo: 

All -- to my knowledge anyway -- three versions of the EverQuest: The Ruins of Kunark comic originally published by DC/Wildstorm. Both foreign editions are weird. The German one was not a regular release at all, but a convention exclusive for the 2004 Erlangen International Comic Salon, where it was a limited print run of 999 copies. I really have no idea why this thing exists.Why make a localized translation (except, you know, the front cover!) of a comic book that was then two years old... and then release it only as a tiny print run event exclusive?

Meanwhile, the French publisher apparently decided that comic books are for Americans, because they reprinted it as an extra-wide hardcover book! If I'd realized that ahead of time, I might not have gone to the trouble of acquiring a copy, but at least I get to show off pictures of all three.

PXL_20210225_202351367.jpg

PXL_20210219_185513039.jpg

PXL_20210225_202439053.jpg

On 2/23/2021 at 1:54 PM, gadzukes said:

I suddenly find that I'm buying a LOT of foreign comics.  I'm getting sucked into a new collecting niche :pullhair:

Here's a really high grade Mexican Strange Tales 111 1st Mordu

IMG_4202.jpeg

Beautiful book! Ive recognized ya around the Facebook Group? My guess is access to FCC has got ya a bit hooked..... ask me how many American books I bought last year? Lol this part of the hobby is real addicting..... I’ve been saying that since I started this thread soooo many years ago.....

On 2/25/2021 at 1:44 PM, Qalyar said:

All -- to my knowledge anyway -- three versions of the EverQuest: The Ruins of Kunark comic originally published by DC/Wildstorm. Both foreign editions are weird. The German one was not a regular release at all, but a convention exclusive for the 2004 Erlangen International Comic Salon, where it was a limited print run of 999 copies. I really have no idea why this thing exists.Why make a localized translation (except, you know, the front cover!) of a comic book that was then two years old... and then release it only as a tiny print run event exclusive?

Meanwhile, the French publisher apparently decided that comic books are for Americans, because they reprinted it as an extra-wide hardcover book! If I'd realized that ahead of time, I might not have gone to the trouble of acquiring a copy, but at least I get to show off pictures of all three.

PXL_20210225_202351367.jpg

PXL_20210219_185513039.jpg

Set building is rad dude...... love these!

2 hours ago, Define999 said:

Beautiful book! Ive recognized ya around the Facebook Group? My guess is access to FCC has got ya a bit hooked..... ask me how many American books I bought last year? Lol this part of the hobby is real addicting..... I’ve been saying that since I started this thread soooo many years ago.....

You are SOOOOO right.  It's a blast finding these Foreign editions.  And very addictive.

On 2/25/2021 at 2:44 PM, Qalyar said:

You probably already know this but that's what virtually all comics in France are- hardcovers.  If you go to a comic book store in Paris (like Album), it's just boxes and boxes (or shelves and shelves) of hardcover graphic novels with a tiny little section of US comics.  The production quality of their graphic novels is very good.  Pretty cool actually.  (thumbsu

2 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Another great O Globo issue.  This one has SO much going for it.  A cover swipe from World's Finest 7, only this one has Superman, BlackHood & (who is this kid again?  I can't remember his name.... Stripesy?). They're all flashing peace signs which is also different from the WF cover.

And a great Superman pin-up on the back cover.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

FullSizeRender-3.jpeg

FullSizeRender-5.jpeg

I think there's a strong argument that that O Globo cover swipe is actually a much better cover than the one they swiped from. And that's despite being hamstrung by the presence of, um, Stripesy (I have no idea what that kid's name is either).

Meanwhile, today's late arrival for me is the first issue of Agujero Negro, the Spanish-language localized reprinting of Charles Burns' Black Hole. The Spanish opted to follow the English format exactly. Twelve issues, same as the US version, with the same covers... except for the edition of the localized title, which I guess they thought was pretty clever? 

Unfortunately, although it presents well enough in this picture, that's merely because I'm a terrible photographer. This one would actually be lucky to come back with a 7.0, so it's destined to be a "reader" (in a language I can't read) and, more importantly, a reference copy. You see, I've heard rumors there's a 2nd printing of Agujero Negro...

PXL_20210309_025203341.thumb.jpg.7c02898c58ebb87820fd2049e55853f8.jpg