• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM: Batman #232

40 posts in this topic

Couple of issues on the back cover which look very pressable, and they probably soon will be. Guess the pressed grade if you fancy it too, it will be going to CGC once it's been squished.

Batman232.jpg

Batman232Rear.jpg

Not yet, I've had this one a while now. I've been meaning to get it pressed and subbed for that time but never got round to shipping it out. Finally I'm pulling my finger out of my arse.

There'll only be two or three books I'll be looking to buy in the 'near' future, who knows what will happen after that?

Nice book Gav. Nice centering too given how wonky the centering can be with this book. I need to send my copy in eventually

Even imagining the effects of the press, I'm still seeing some fuzzy corners. I'll go 9.0 at best.

Who really knows what CGC will give it. (shrug)

Nice book Gav. Nice centering too given how wonky the centering can be with this book. I need to send my copy in eventually

This is what drew me to this book, it presents so well. Having looked at it in hand for extended periods of time I do think it's capable of hitting 9.4, and the guy who pressed it thinks it may get there as well, but CGC will see what they will see and assign the grade they see fit. I'm hoping for a 9.4 so it can sit easily next to its buddy, but if it comes back 9.2 I won't complain. 9.0 or lower and it will be cracked immediately, rescanned with the defects pressed out, placed into a Mylites2 and look gorgeous in one of my shortboxes.

OK, so I got the grade of the book through today from the guy who pressed it, and he did what we both thought he would; pressed it to a 9.4.

The one slight problem is that it's showing as a PLOD, noted as being trimmed. Now given the history of the book and having gone over it time and time again in hand prior to submitting it, I personally don't believe the book is actually trimmed. The book was purchased at Joe Koch's warehouse in NY by the boardie I traded this book with, it then went from him to me and finally for a press and a sub.

I've spoken about this with another boardie who knows his stuff, and he also believes that where it came from (and the possibility that it was overstock) severely limits the chances it was trimmed, and I have absolutely no reason to believe the boardie who owned it before me (a fellow Brit) would have trimmed it, in fact I'll say with 100% conviction he didn't. It sat in his collection as a valued book. You can still see the string indents in the book prior to pressing where it was bound in a bundle.

I'm no expert, and I have no idea how CGC detect pressing, but I will be cracking this book out and placing it in a Mylar to sit in my collection as an untrimmed book. I am happy enough in the knowledge of where the book came to be comfortable with it. There is no intention to deceive here either, if the book is ever sold on it will be with full disclosure of pressing and the fact is was graded as trimmed and the label will be provided. I will however state my opinion that the book is not trimmed.

I considered resubbing it to see if it would garner a blue label, but eve if it did I don't see why I should pay double fees and be without the book for another four months.

So to anybody who went 9.4 (thumbs u

(thumbs u on the 9.4 as we expected...bummer on the plod. My guess is the top edge if that is where CGC think "could be" trimmed.

If they 'think' the book 'could be' trimmed I would be far from happy. If they are 100% certain it's trimmed that's fine, but I have no idea how they detect it so I'll have to go on what I know alone on this one.

I'm not that bothered to be honest, like I said I'm happy to crack it and keep it in a Mylar feeling comfortable enough that it's not trimmed. I don't know how CGC detect trimming, it's never explained or at least not that I know to, and haven't blue label resubs been coming back in purple labels lately noted as trimmed? Mistakes can happen, this may be one and it may not be. But again it doesn't look trimmed to me so I can live with it.