• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

On 12/5/2016 at 5:49 PM, Jaydogrules said:

And if we have gotten to a place on these boards where fans /admirers/owners of books/artists/ages, etc. cannot discuss their prized possessions without being accused of "pumping" then we are in a sad and cynical place indeed, and might as well just shut the whole thing down.

Pretty easy to spot the difference between fan threads and pump threads. Take note of how often posts concerning sale prices are advertised compared to you know, actual discussion about the artist's work and collectors showing their books/art.   

I don’t see much hope for the show to keep the momentum it once had. I enjoyed the premiere and will most likely tune in for the entirety of the season...but typically after 3-4 episodes I lose interest, and my attention wanes in and out in later episodes. 

I think they do too many episodes. If the seasons were 10-12 episodes they’d probably be better because they’d be more action packed. The shows pace is exhausting sometimes. 

A friend of mine stopped watching after Glenn died, I bet some people are the same. I loved the opening episode to last season, but the graphic nature of it may have scared some people away. And then all these new characters probably makes it difficult for the casual watcher to keep interest. 

I think the show needs to see the end in the distance...give it 3 more seasons. 

10 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Maybe the bubble is going to burst or at least correct itself? hm

Walking Dead’ Season 8 Premiere Draws Lowest Opening Ratings Since Season 3.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/walking-dead-season-8-premiere-ratings-1202596402/

The Walking Dead” Season 8 premiere, also the show’s 100th episode, posted the series’ lowest premiere ratings since its third season.

According to Nielsen Live+Same Day data, the AMC series averaged a 5.0 rating in adults 18-49 and 11.4 million total viewers on Sunday night. The Season 3 premiere, which aired in 2012, averaged a 5.8 and 10.86 million viewers by comparison.  This also means that the Season 8 premiere is the third-lowest in series history, ahead of only Season 2 and Season 1.

Didn’t even hear anything abt it, which is worse...

Curious, how’s the actual quality of the comics with respect to the writing and art?  I see that as the sole barrier against a totally bursting bubble.  I don’t see WD making the leap into cultural immortality that Star Wars has.  TMNT might become a decent comparison.

15 minutes ago, Brian48 said:

I actually stopped watching this show a long time ago (after season 2-3).  Zombie saturation killed it for me.  Surprised it's still on the air. 

It's only got millions of viewers. How is it surviving?

It burst for me a while back but the whole storytelling did me in.  I know the premise is about "what happens to the survivors after the zombie movie ends" but now it seems like they've lost both the original mystique and draw for me as well as reached the depth of the theme.  For me, the zombies and the mystery of how it started, where did it come from, and how to stop it were the reasons that kept me watching every episode and reading the comics.  Now that they've learned to basically cope with the existence of zombies the show has basically turned into just any other post-apocalyptic survivor series.

I'm not interested in a survival show that happens to have zombies just because of the really cool characters.  The really cool characters kept me going for a while but when you can be assured that those really cool characters are never safe then you begin to lose perhaps the last vested interest in the show.  Daryl and Rick can't die.  If they did, that would pretty much be the end for everyone else.  Many like me aren't interested in replacement characters. 

I used to anticipate each episode.  This season I didn't even care to watch the premier and finally did 3 days later because my girl is still into it.

Frankly the episode sucked. 

Spoiler

1 hour of buildup with splotchy daydreams intermixed felt like something that got rushed through editing.  And the whole assault on the base seemed well thought out right up until Rick failed to close the deal with bad guy aim using a gun with the worst accuracy.  Seriously?  That much planning and you can't get a sniper to take Negan out?  Of course not, we have to drag this whole ordeal out for at least another 2 seasons because Jeffrey Dean Morgan has such sex appeal and have to justify another 8 episodes of this back and forth All Out War. 

Now it seems like they'll jump the ultimate shark and eventually bridge the two shows later next year (Fear the walking dead - which I gave up after 2 seasons) to try and keep this dead zombie series going for as long as they can.  If they ever get back on track trying to figure out what caused it and how to "cure" the zombie plague, I'll jump back in and recommend to anyone starting up to just watch the first season and a few key episodes where characters die and where the new ones that are still alive can be introduced.  It was a good run, Kirkman, but might be time to move on to something new.

16 hours ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

I don’t see much hope for the show to keep the momentum it once had. I enjoyed the premiere and will most likely tune in for the entirety of the season...but typically after 3-4 episodes I lose interest, and my attention wanes in and out in later episodes. 

I think they do too many episodes. If the seasons were 10-12 episodes they’d probably be better because they’d be more action packed. The shows pace is exhausting sometimes. 

A friend of mine stopped watching after Glenn died, I bet some people are the same. I loved the opening episode to last season, but the graphic nature of it may have scared some people away. And then all these new characters probably makes it difficult for the casual watcher to keep interest. 

I think the show needs to see the end in the distance...give it 3 more seasons. 

I stopped watching last season after Glenn died, not so much because he died but HOW he died. All that Negan stuff was just too much and it just went on and on. Not enjoyable at all. I watched the opening episode this week and I liked it better. I liked the logistics of the attack, cheering the good guys killing the bad guys, that kind of 'feel good' stuff.  I'm hoping for a better season. 

51 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I stopped watching last season after Glenn died, not so much because he died but HOW he died. All that Negan stuff was just too much and it just went on and on. Not enjoyable at all. I watched the opening episode this week and I liked it better. I liked the logistics of the attack, cheering the good guys killing the bad guys, that kind of 'feel good' stuff.  I'm hoping for a better season. 

Even though it was all taken from the comics, I think the show runners underestimated just how much the brutal killing of beloved characters, especially when used as a calculated cliffhanger, would turn off mainstream tv fans. I remember reading a lot of articles last season (and reactions from various fan forums) about how it was the last straw for a lot of longtime viewers. It's a zombie apocalypse, characters are going to die. But the cynical cliffhanger ("wait all summer to see which of your favorite characters is gruesomely bludgeoned to death with a baseball bat!") was a bit much for some folks.

The missus and I are still watching, even though we complain all the time about how terrible the show is. But it's been pretty terrible for a long time. Since the first season, really. I guess we have a low threshold for quality.

I don't care much for horror, but I do enjoy my zombies.  I just feel like everything on the show is getting regurgitated.  Evil Governor Camp, Evil Cannibal Camp, Evil Negan Camp.  There is no progress in getting to the bottom of the Zombie Apocalypse, what caused it, is there a cure being hatched, what is left of the US Government etc.  It's just one human vs. human scenario after another, and quite frankly it's exhausting.  I stopped watching after the first half of last season.  Wake me when it's over. 

4 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

I don't care much for horror, but I do enjoy my zombies.  I just feel like everything on the show is getting regurgitated.  Evil Governor Camp, Evil Cannibal Camp, Evil Negan Camp.  There is no progress in getting to the bottom of the Zombie Apocalypse, what caused it, is there a cure being hatched, what is left of the US Government etc.  It's just one human vs. human scenario after another, and quite frankly it's exhausting.  I stopped watching after the first half of last season.  Wake me when it's over. 

This.

After the Negan war ends, I'd very much like to see Kirkman focus on rebuilding.

Too many people still sitting around doing nothing.

I'd like to see the survivors form a proper militia/local government with medical, transport, power etc being restored. Run by strong, competent characters not 'Gregory' types.

Then retake areas around the known communities and establish safe transport (That bloody railway track for a start!). Expand, and eventually start to take small towns, and I suppose Atlanta.

Some contact internationally wouldn't go amiss - the saviours have a huge satellite outpost - I'm pretty sure someone could make it work - the satellites are still up there!

If they go from Negan to The Whisperers, then the show will drop off big time, as it's just a rinse and repeat exercise.

At some point people have to stop fighting, and start rebuilding.

If written well, that could be even better than anything that has gone before.

There have been some great moments including:

Rick and Shane

Negan and Glenn

Sophia and the barn

The "Ricktatorship" speech

I liked the Jesus intro episode - but gosh, that character is underused (PS: look out for him in the UK series "Skins" - very young back in season one)

Too few and too far apart now - I had hoped when Lori was killed off that things might get back to really great characters (she was friggin dire) but the 'new' cast members are unremarkable to say the least - except Simon, he is pretty well written, but only seen in short spells.

Oceanside - possibilities - but the Dump People? Really?

I think Kirkman was aiming for 300 issues, well, we are well over the halfway mark, and it's time to stop people v people and get back to fixing Alexandria, and then the state.

I still like the show very much, but it is falling in it's standards.

Ironically Fear The Walking Dead had its best series (but that's not setting the bar too high)

As for the comic, prices for #1 are certainly coming off its high point - but this is a solid $1500 book for good when the dust settles. I had 5 at one point and certainly regretted not keeping one.

It's certainly (along with #2, #3 and #19) on my shopping list after the show finishes.

It just needs a little tweaking of it's focus, and it can get better.

I have always said "The walking Dead" is Carl's story. It was never Rick's.

I think when Chandler Riggs gets a bit older, and his acting improves slightly, then it's the end for Rick.

2c

I need to catch up from last season still.  Saw an article reporting this season's premiere was the lowest watched in five years, over 40% drop.  Maybe a lot of people are downloading, DVRing?  I'm a dummy when it comes to the ratings system for television.

FWIW, I was excited to buy a small collection of moderns recently that had about 15 recent issues of WD in it, as I have always been asked for them. They’ve been to three shows now and I’ve sold none of them and requests have stopped. Could be Murphy’s Law of comic selling, but it’s got me wondering. 

Edited by mysterio

Would be far better if they just ended the show and released an epic movie every few years.

Part of Star Wars’ legend-growing was the reality that you had a mythic trilogy and then everything built around it rather than a more vulnerable long-running series.  Helped them weather the cruddy prequels, and now the films are back with a vengeance for the new generation.

23 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

At the time I felt exactly the same.  In retrospect though that's exactly why I think I liked last season so much.  You could feel how desperate and trapped Rick and the group were with no way out of the situations they were in with the Negan clan.
The best part for me was the reunion between Rick & Daryl (infamous bro hug)  and it is really nice to see the good guys gaining ground again this season.

16 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

The premier of last season was just so crazy that nothing else has even come close.   I also quit pretty close to mid-season last year.  The pace just slowed to a halt. 

As others have said, I'd be interested in seeing some further progress towards a cure or solving the mystery as to why it happened in the first place.   Group vs group has gotten a bit tired.  

I watched maybe 10 minutes of The Walking Dead in the first 7 seasons it was on AMC.  I was bored one night and watched Season 1, episode 1 on Netflix about 6 months ago.  It was SO AWESOME I watched all 7 seasons on Netflix since that time.  I watched the first episode of season 8 last week and thought it was pretty good.  It will be interesting to see how they take it when Alexandria ends Negan's reign.  Not sure why it didn't have better ratings.  I was SHOCKED when I went to the TV / Movie board and there wasn't a single post about the first episode of Season 8.  I guess people get bored with stuff after a while.  I'm still all in on TWD.

EDIT:  Also, I just learned last week that Andrew Lincoln is British.  Would never have guessed that.  His southern accent is incredible!

Edited by makeminemarvel
my perogative

41 minutes ago, makeminemarvel said:

Also, I just learned last week that Andrew Lincoln is British.  Would never have guessed that.  His southern accent is incredible!

As a Southerner, that is a preposterous statement.  It is passable at best and truly cringe worthy at times.

1 hour ago, MustEatBrains said:

At the time I felt exactly the same.  In retrospect though that's exactly why I think I liked last season so much.  You could feel how desperate and trapped Rick and the group were with no way out of the situations they were in with the Negan clan.
The best part for me was the reunion between Rick & Daryl (infamous bro hug)  and it is really nice to see the good guys gaining ground again this season.

I wasn't really disgusted by the Glen death (I read the book so it was not a shock) but I stopped watching soon after.  I don't have regular tv and it doesn't show up on Netfitx or Hulu so I had to buy a season for $20 or something on Amazon.  There just seems to be so many shows better shows that I need to keep up with that I left Walking Dead behind.  I don't miss the episodes where nothing happened one bit.