• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

Marvel Super Special #16 has more Yoda pages, more Boba Fett pages, and earlier Yoda and earlier Boba Fett than both Star Wars #41 and #42, by 5 or 6 months.

It seems very few collectors know Star Wars #42 is about the 7th time those Boba Fett pages were reprinted. It's the first nothing.

I agree with you!

and yet... the market has spoken?

This is one of those books that I wonder - what would it take for the market to look more toward MSS 16?

How many times in (more modern...  or at least down to this issue.. 1982/83) comic history has a hot book flamed out and imploded back to its more 'normal' price when an older 1st appearance has been pointed out?

And if so - are those examples comic-to-comic versus comic-to-magazine?

I just ask the question because I wonder if magazines are just not quite as sought after as comics because storage is an added problem?

The only similarity I can think of off the top of my head like this is Hulk 271 and Marvel Preview #7.

22 minutes ago, HighVoltage said:

I agree with you!

This is one of those books that I wonder - what would it take for the market to look more toward MSS 16?

How many times in (more modern...  or at least down to this issue.. 1982/83) comic history has a hot book flamed out and imploded back to its more 'normal' price when an older 1st appearance has been pointed out?

I just ask the question because I wonder if magazines are just not quite as sought after as comics because storage is an added problem?

The only similarity I can think of off the top of my head like this is Hulk 271 and Marvel Preview #7.

Marvel Premiere 27 doesn’t really sell for much whereas Satana’s first app in magazine size does 

3 hours ago, littledoom said:

Marvel Premiere 27 doesn’t really sell for much whereas Satana’s first app in magazine size does 

Same for Star-Lord. Mag is much more than Marvel Spotlight 6. 

And Man-Thing. And White Tiger.

But not Legion of Monsters. Or any Star Wars book. 

Edited by Hey Kids, Comics!

8 hours ago, HighVoltage said:

I agree with you!

The problem with MSS 16 and MSS 27 is that there are so few high grade copies out there.  With #16, the census shows 11 9.8s and 65 9.6s.  MSS #27 (Return of the Jedi Adaptation) shows even a tougher inventory:  10 9.8s and 20 9.6s.  The late 70s and early 80s mags have certainly received more attention with the Marvel Horror aspect kicking in in the couple years, but the truth is these magazine are HTF in terms of condition: lots of color-breaking spine issues, and corner and edge ware, due to the size.  On top of that, it seems harder to find these book with white page, instead of W/OW or straight up OW pages. I think its a matter of time before this stuff get attention due to the regular SW books becoming unattainable for most due to pricing.

8 hours ago, HighVoltage said:

I agree with you!

The market has spoken for now but that doesn't mean it will always be that way. I will speculate that as time moves on more collectors will become aware that MSS 16 is the true first appearance and move towards it. Speculation to be sure but not out of the realm of possibility

1 hour ago, Jeffro. said:

The market has spoken for now but that doesn't mean it will always be that way. I will speculate that as time moves on more collectors will become aware that MSS 16 is the true first appearance and move towards it. Speculation to be sure but not out of the realm of possibility

Agreed that the the market as only spoken for now (which is why I put my question mark in my post), but it is hard to bend the arc away to another book as the 'main' book when one is established as a 'first,' and the money flag is planted so-to-speak.

Not to say at all that there can't be multiple targets as a 'first.' I'm think of Warlock as an example. There are the FFs (66/67), Thor (165/166), and Marvel Premiere (1).

With the renewed interest in SW, I think we are still early enough in this wave that there could be more movement to MSS 16.

I'm curious to see how it plays out...

2 hours ago, bluehorseshoe said:

The problem with MSS 16 and MSS 27 is that there are so few high grade copies out there.  With #16, the census shows 11 9.8s and 65 9.6s.  MSS #27 (Return of the Jedi Adaptation) shows even a tougher inventory:  10 9.8s and 20 9.6s.  The late 70s and early 80s mags have certainly received more attention with the Marvel Horror aspect kicking in in the couple years, but the truth is these magazine are HTF in terms of condition: lots of color-breaking spine issues, and corner and edge ware, due to the size.  On top of that, it seems harder to find these book with white page, instead of W/OW or straight up OW pages. I think its a matter of time before this stuff get attention due to the regular SW books becoming unattainable for most due to pricing.

So very true about the magazines being very tough in high grade.

I really enjoy the oversize magazine/graphic novel/treasury formats.

3 hours ago, HighVoltage said:

Agreed that the the market as only spoken for now (which is why I put my question mark in my post), but it is hard to bend the arc away to another book as the 'main' book when one is established as a 'first,' and the money flag is planted so-to-speak.

Not to say at all that there can't be multiple targets as a 'first.' I'm think of Warlock as an example. There are the FFs (66/67), Thor (165/166), and Marvel Premiere (1).

With the renewed interest in SW, I think we are still early enough in this wave that there could be more movement to MSS 16.

I'm curious to see how it plays out...

I think so too. I feel the SW 42 cover is behind so much of its value - if it's cover doesn't feature the Bounty Hunters, MSS 16 easily takes the lead.

For as common as 42 is relative to demand, there are so many MSS 16 and just not enough magazine collectors.  The 3 Marvel Previews Mag 1sts are a good indicator that MSS 16 is undervalued but MSS 16 had a ton more copies produced than Marvel Previews.  That said, we all know demand drives the market, supply accentuates it.  Speculation - MSS 16 is a much better value both if the market goes up or down.

5 hours ago, ft88 said:

For as common as 42 is relative to demand, there are so many MSS 16 and just not enough magazine collectors.  The 3 Marvel Previews Mag 1sts are a good indicator that MSS 16 is undervalued but MSS 16 had a ton more copies produced than Marvel Previews.  That said, we all know demand drives the market, supply accentuates it.  Speculation - MSS 16 is a much better value both if the market goes up or down.

When it comes to CGC-graded Boba Fett, Marvel Super Special #16 is not only first, it also features the first Yoda and first Lando.  Apart from Star Wars #1 (1st Luke, Vader, Leia) and Star Wars #2 (1st Han, Obi Wan, Chewbacca), there probably isn't a better list of Star Wars characters to have their first appearance all in the same book.

On 12/28/2020 at 9:14 PM, valiantman said:

Marvel Super Special #16 has more Yoda pages, more Boba Fett pages, and earlier Yoda and earlier Boba Fett than both Star Wars #41 and #42, by 5 or 6 months.

It seems very few collectors know Star Wars #42 is about the 7th time those Boba Fett pages were reprinted. It's the first nothing.

It's the first appearance in a normal-sized comic, for whatever that's worth. Turns out it's worth over $1K to some.

I wonder if the difference here is that, unlike the Starlord or Rocket appearances, the Super Special isn't the first appearance of Boba Fett either, just the first appearance in a comic story. Of course, you can't own an official first appearance of Boba Fett.

59 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

It's the first appearance in a normal-sized comic, for whatever that's worth. Turns out it's worth over $1K to some.

I wonder if the difference here is that, unlike the Starlord or Rocket appearances, the Super Special isn't the first appearance of Boba Fett either, just the first appearance in a comic story. Of course, you can't own an official first appearance of Boba Fett.

Unless you recorded the holiday special on VHS...hm

4 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

1 hour ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

That's why I said "official"

Actually Animation cels sold in the mid-1990s came from the special's animated Boba Fett segment. So someone does own some official first appearance cels of Boba Fett. (thumbsu

On 12/27/2020 at 6:53 PM, Sauce Dog said:

This is a damn crazy price for this book, even if it does have one of the coolest MK covers ever (hell, ANY of the issues from this mini-series have never seen a price like this - even 9.8s of #1). The Moon Knight fever is starting to spread to non-key books and his other series it seems (this is my favourite of his series, due to my own personal nostalgia, so I'm happy to see this kinda of price/interest regardless).

These are not hard issues to find if you want them in 9.8 (I should know, I found great seller contacts while building my top registry set for it this year, and all the issues can be bought and graded for about $50 each) so do NOT go into these odd Ebay bidding wars for these issues :D

1978992925_ScreenShot2020-12-27at9_44_45PM.thumb.png.8217cd3e44719ddab743cbfc3343a1f7.png

i agree that moon knight fever is spreading... been thinking about selling my marvel spotlight #28 uk pence copy with white pages

only pic i had.. pay no mind to ms marvel lol

20190821_003009.jpg.c37cb23ce9a32e92b94694c9b00ab5c4.jpg

2 hours ago, engelhard said:

i agree that moon knight fever is spreading... been thinking about selling my marvel spotlight #28 uk pence copy with white pages

only pic i had.. pay no mind to ms marvel lol

20190821_003009.jpg.c37cb23ce9a32e92b94694c9b00ab5c4.jpg

Sell it now and then wait and upgrade it later :D  What you could get for a 9.2 pence copy could easily bump you up to a 9.6 us copy.