• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,812 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Don't get me wrong... I really like books that stay under the radar for 20 years before they are discovered like Sandman #75 second printing as something new and fun to pursue, but they're essentially late-bloomer rarities which rely on rarity alone.  I'm not a fan of "because it's rare" arguments, especially for recent books, so it is better to be "because it's rare" after 20 years (Sandman #75 second printing), but it doesn't beat "because it was a key issue already and the variant is legitimately low print" (Sandman #8 Berger).

There are so many rare books (many of them artificially rare) that rely on "because it's rare" as their only redeeming characteristic that I'm quickly getting to the point that "because it would already be a key even if it wasn't rare" is the only way to separate the quality needles from the variant haystack.

Evan better than the first post, you are on a roll.

23 hours ago, bluehorseshoe said:

There are more than 3 times the number of graded copies of the #8 editorial versus 75 second print.  Fans can't find it, is what you meant to say.

There are very few fans of the second print - Sandman collectors by and large don't care about it.  How many people buy this book with the intention of adding it to their collection or holding it indefinitely?  I don't know the answer to that but I'll bet you the percentage is significantly lower than the #8 or even the blue pages.  If I found a second print today it would be on ebay by the end of the week - that is not the case for the other two.

Edited by spreads
edit

10 hours ago, spreads said:

There are very few fans of the second print - Sandman collectors by and large don't care about it.  How many people buy this book with the intention of adding it to their collection or holding it indefinitely?  I don't know the answer to that but I'll bet you the percentage is significantly lower than the #8 or even the blue pages.  If I found a second print today it would be on ebay by the end of the week - that is not the case for the other two.

Honestly, I'd happily grab and hold one if I could find it in the wild. I started on Sandman when issue 6 was on the stands and tried to grab anything Sandman-related through until the end. I never knew the 2nd print was a thing until it came to light recently. I still have my original run (which would be worth so much more if the series hadn't been tpb'd to death) and would love to have a 75 2nd to add to it, but there's a crazy pricing precedent set for these types of obscure later printings and I'm just not super-enthused about shelling out big bucks for it as Sandman hasn't been a focus of mine for a few decades now. However, I kinda doubt there are "very few fans" of it or that Sandman fans don't care about it. The series was printed in fairly large numbers throughout and there are few rarities, so any obscure variants like this should be enticing for collectors who want a challenge. In fact, I would guess there are those who will want it just because it's an under-printed book that don't even collect the series. I picked up a Supergirl 1 3rd print out of a cheap box with no intent to flip, just grabbed it 'cause I knew it was hard to find. Might be the only Supergirl book I own, now that I think about it.

I think the book has value but I don't think the current value is sustainable. There will be more copies found, more submitted and those looking for a copy will obtain one each one less and less than the original

Still a great book to find and sell.

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

I think the book has value but I don't think the current value is sustainable. There will be more copies found, more submitted and those looking for a copy will obtain one each one less and less than the original

Still a great book to find and sell.

Which book are you talking about?

9 minutes ago, Kevin76 said:

I had Paypal credit a few years ago..it's 27% interest rate.  Not worth it. 

If the initial purchase is over $99 you have 6 months no interest...

There is an old story about people using credit to buy things on margin with the hopes of selling them for more later......

If you are going that route find a card that pays you back at least as well.

The trap is they are hoping your life goes to hell in those 6 months and you are on the ringer.

Edited by fastballspecial

28 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

There is an old story about people using credit to buy things on margin with the hopes of selling them for more later......

If you are going that route find a card that pays you back at least as well.

The trap is they are hoping your life goes to hell in those 6 months and you are on the ringer.

that's a sad but true definite...

On 7/3/2019 at 9:07 AM, manetteska said:

On 7/3/2019 at 7:32 AM, Aweandlorder said:

No worse feeling than selling a book before the hype for a fraction of its price now (sandman 8), and not only that, but later on realizing you have a whole set of the title (1-75) with only that one missing :cry:

Aha! For once I've done the opposite (purely on accident, of course). Right before the announcement I sent in a couple #1's for a pre-screen. Don't know if they'll cut it (my Sandman issues always seems to have soft spines) but at least they'll get a press along the way.

It turns out even better. Gave a boardie price quotes on a Sandman #1 9.8 and Editorial #8 in February but he never got back to me. Was flipping thru my slabs and saw the #1; thought I actually sold that one to him. 

2 hours ago, shiverbones said:

Absolutely Insane, but I sold a raw 9.4 captain atom 42 for $70 on saturday

Will be a $100-200 book by the fall. Strong buy recommend under $70 for a fast (6 month max) flip.

2 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

Will be a $100-200 book by the fall. Strong buy recommend under $70 for a fast (6 month max) flip.

You're like EF Hutton...and I always listen.

:takeit: