Statue Collections
22 22

4,569 posts in this topic

29,554 posts

 

3 hours ago, kdoginohio said:

let me rephrase that. there was nothing that I saw that made me say, "I gotta have that right now"! and I did enjoy your videos from there. will you be posting your Rocketeer review here soon?

Sure, here you go...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29,554 posts
On 7/19/2018 at 3:27 PM, entalmighty1 said:

@nearmint

I'm getting my Thanos on Throne Maquette delivered tomorrow.  I watched your unboxing video...did you ever settle on a way to display this beast?  I'm looking for ideas. :wishluck: 

He’s in my TV cabinet.  Not a perfect spot, but the only one I could find.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,907 posts
6 hours ago, nearmint said:

He’s in my TV cabinet.  Not a perfect spot, but the only one I could find.

I ended up buying some Galant units at Ikea.  It was the only bookshelf I could find that was deep enough for Thanos.  Looks good now though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,265 posts
7 hours ago, nearmint said:

 

Sure, here you go...

 

YES, I got mine last week, and you hit on ALL of the points that concerned me. I hadn't read any other reviews yet, so I was wondering if it was just me. But you're absolutely right: it just doesn't LOOK like Bettie, and also, for me, the whole thing has a kind of light/cheap feel. I wanted to love it, but I am thinking I may not hold onto it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,515 posts
10 hours ago, F For Fake said:

YES, I got mine last week, and you hit on ALL of the points that concerned me. I hadn't read any other reviews yet, so I was wondering if it was just me. But you're absolutely right: it just doesn't LOOK like Bettie, and also, for me, the whole thing has a kind of light/cheap feel. I wanted to love it, but I am thinking I may not hold onto it.

would have liked to see her in the blue dress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
178 posts
On 7/24/2018 at 1:08 PM, SpeedforceKJ said:

we got our first sideshow piece in

 

TZ4bhbFl.jpg

One of Sideshow's best. Congrats!   I absolutely love mine.

Edited by Sludgesicle Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,265 posts
13 hours ago, kdoginohio said:

would have liked to see her in the blue dress.

Same! And the face, I think it's the nose...I dunno, just doesn't look right.

Anyway, threw mine up on eBay yesterday and it's on its way out west as of this morning. Was super stoked when I ordered it, but once it showed up, I knew it wasn't for me. Hope the new owner digs it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,265 posts
14 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

No, they've had those for a while. I never picked one up though, as I think they're a little pricey considering I can get a whole Detolf for the same price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
364 posts
On 7/22/2018 at 6:53 PM, kdoginohio said:

kinda underwhelmed by all the stuff they showed at SDCC 2018.

Really? A lot of good choices were there from Sideshow, Prime 1 Studio, Tweeterhead, and others. The favorite for me was probably tied between the Prime 1 Studio Hush line up. 1/3 is huge but the new Huntress was the selling point for me. Beautiful statue.

lVzEzt1.jpg

 

I have to set stuff aside for funds and figure out how I'm going to display them. Also Psylocke from Sideshow. Unlike many I love the base compared to the messy Emma Frost base. Psylocke's has elements of her butterfly imagery when she uses her powers. But also it reminds me of the energy boost in the Capcom fighting games. And I'm so pleased she's not the movie version.

nJCQPQL.jpg

 

Sideshow's Doomsday looks good even though I don't like the character. He's going up next week. I'm surprised that they didn't make a good Superman to go with him but I guess they will later. John Stewart Green Lantern looks amazing as does Tweeterhead's Hal Jordan version.

 

Pop Culture Shock is making G.I. Joe statues. A new Baroness concept.

SDCC-2018-PCS-Toys-GI-Joe-012.jpg

 

Their Snake Eyes looks way too much like Prime 1 Studio's version which I'm waiting for. I don't think Prime 1 is doing well on sales with G.I. Joe. And I wouldn't be surprised if the line stops at Scarlett. But Pop Culture Shock seems to be following the exact same business plan as Sideshow and Prime 1 by releasing Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow first. You would think collectors have enough statues of those two. And that Pop Culture Shock would start with someone that hasn't been made yet like a Lady Jaye, Alpine, or Falcon. The vehicle bases might be good though. Still how many characters can you have posing on vehicles? If Prime 1 doesn't release a Baroness to go with Destro or against Scarlett maybe the Pop Culture Shock one will make it.

 

Rogue went up this week. Expensive at $715 and surprising at how Sideshow couldn't go the extra bit to make this an unbeatable statue. Look at how lazy they were with the exclusive not even changing her expression and just changing her hair style. I'm still not crazy about the Angelina Jolie look but the statue does have presence.

marvel-rogue-maquette-sideshow-3006871-0

 

But they left the door open for XM Studio or Prime 1 to make a better version. If Sideshow gets the structure right on the production version, I still might get a regular one day. But still with all the Sentinel bases, especially the hands on both Wolverine and X-23. I can't believe they used a Danger Room saw arm for the base and not a detailed Sentinel arm that was destroyed by Wolverine or X-23. Unless I'm just forgetting the comic influence of that saw.

 

On 7/25/2018 at 12:07 AM, nearmint said:

 

Sure, here you go...

 

 

Thanks for the review. I'm glad I was waiting on that one as I knew Bettie needed a repaint. Now I know she really needs a repaint.

 

On 7/25/2018 at 8:02 AM, F For Fake said:

YES, I got mine last week, and you hit on ALL of the points that concerned me. I hadn't read any other reviews yet, so I was wondering if it was just me. But you're absolutely right: it just doesn't LOOK like Bettie, and also, for me, the whole thing has a kind of light/cheap feel. I wanted to love it, but I am thinking I may not hold onto it.

You probably should have kept it as I doubt there will be another unless Sideshow makes another attempt.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,265 posts
6 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

Really? A lot of good choices were there from Sideshow, Prime 1 Studio, Tweeterhead, and others. The favorite for me was probably tied between the Prime 1 Studio Hush line up. 1/3 is huge but the new Huntress was the selling point for me. Beautiful statue.

lVzEzt1.jpg

 

I have to set stuff aside for funds and figure out how I'm going to display them. Also Psylocke from Sideshow. Unlike many I love the base compared to the messy Emma Frost base. Psylocke's has elements of her butterfly imagery when she uses her powers. But also it reminds me of the energy boost in the Capcom fighting games. And I'm so pleased she's not the movie version.

nJCQPQL.jpg

 

Sideshow's Doomsday looks good even though I don't like the character. He's going up next week. I'm surprised that they didn't make a good Superman to go with him but I guess they will later. John Stewart Green Lantern looks amazing as does Tweeterhead's Hal Jordan version.

 

Pop Culture Shock is making G.I. Joe statues. A new Baroness concept.

SDCC-2018-PCS-Toys-GI-Joe-012.jpg

 

Their Snake Eyes looks way too much like Prime 1 Studio's version which I'm waiting for. I don't think Prime 1 is doing well on sales with G.I. Joe. And I wouldn't be surprised if the line stops at Scarlett. But Pop Culture Shock seems to be following the exact same business plan as Sideshow and Prime 1 by releasing Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow first. You would think collectors have enough statues of those two. And that Pop Culture Shock would start with someone that hasn't been made yet like a Lady Jaye, Alpine, or Falcon. The vehicle bases might be good though. Still how many characters can you have posing on vehicles? If Prime 1 doesn't release a Baroness to go with Destro or against Scarlett maybe the Pop Culture Shock one will make it.

 

Rogue went up this week. Expensive at $715 and surprising at how Sideshow couldn't go the extra bit to make this an unbeatable statue. Look at how lazy they were with the exclusive not even changing her expression and just changing her hair style. I'm still not crazy about the Angelina Jolie look but the statue does have presence.

marvel-rogue-maquette-sideshow-3006871-0

 

But they left the door open for XM Studio or Prime 1 to make a better version. If Sideshow gets the structure right on the production version, I still might get a regular one day. But still with all the Sentinel bases, especially the hands on both Wolverine and X-23. I can't believe they used a Danger Room saw arm for the base and not a detailed Sentinel arm that was destroyed by Wolverine or X-23. Unless I'm just forgetting the comic influence of that saw.

 

 

Thanks for the review. I'm glad I was waiting on that one as I knew Bettie needed a repaint. Now I know she really needs a repaint.

 

You probably should have kept it as I doubt there will be another unless Sideshow makes another attempt.

 

I may have been tempted by Rogue, but I never liked that costume and I just don't like the face that much. What is up with Sideshow and their portraits these days? Not really feeling them.

Nah, I sold the Mondo statue and I won't miss it. If I'd kept it, every time I looked at it I would have thought "Ugh, I don't really like it." It would have bugged me. Rather not have one at all than have one I don't like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29,554 posts
7 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Nah, I sold the Mondo statue and I won't miss it. If I'd kept it, every time I looked at it I would have thought "Ugh, I don't really like it." It would have bugged me. Rather not have one at all than have one I don't like.

I emailed Mondo and told them my concerns and asked if I could return it. They emailed back two days later and provided a shipping label.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
364 posts
On 8/3/2018 at 8:27 AM, F For Fake said:

Nah, I sold the Mondo statue and I won't miss it. If I'd kept it, every time I looked at it I would have thought "Ugh, I don't really like it." It would have bugged me. Rather not have one at all than have one I don't like.

If it was any other statue and if it was more expensive I would be with you. But it's a Rocketeer and Bettie statue. I think every other statue is Rocketeer or Bettie separate. Plus the sculpt is still a hit. I've seen professional repaints turn around many average paint jobs.

 

I do wish Sideshow would start giving more Rewards Points again. Comic Con points were a mess. I knew it was a bad sign when their site crashed over a few bucks early on. I think they didn't even give out $20 total for Comic Con. I remember the days when they would give out $20 in a day or so. Maybe the days of free money are over. We'll see what they give during October. People would joke that the Rewards Points made up for the rising prices. I guess Sideshow wants to put a stop to that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,265 posts
On 8/3/2018 at 4:31 PM, nearmint said:

I emailed Mondo and told them my concerns and asked if I could return it. They emailed back two days later and provided a shipping label.

That's cool, I never would have thought of them accepting a return without there being damage or a specific damage. Glad they took care of you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,265 posts
17 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

If it was any other statue and if it was more expensive I would be with you. But it's a Rocketeer and Bettie statue. I think every other statue is Rocketeer or Bettie separate. Plus the sculpt is still a hit. I've seen professional repaints turn around many average paint jobs.

 

I do wish Sideshow would start giving more Rewards Points again. Comic Con points were a mess. I knew it was a bad sign when their site crashed over a few bucks early on. I think they didn't even give out $20 total for Comic Con. I remember the days when they would give out $20 in a day or so. Maybe the days of free money are over. We'll see what they give during October. People would joke that the Rewards Points made up for the rising prices. I guess Sideshow wants to put a stop to that.

You're probably right about the repaint, but I've never gone that route. If the manufacturer can't get it right, I just don't have the inclination to have someone else take a crack at it. Shipping, waiting, throwing good money after bad, it's just not something I'm interested in. If I don't like the piece when I get it, I sell it.

I don't have much going on with reward points right now, but I enjoyed the little catalog box they sent out with the gift cards, thought that was pretty sweet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
364 posts
On 8/10/2018 at 8:32 AM, F For Fake said:

You're probably right about the repaint, but I've never gone that route. If the manufacturer can't get it right, I just don't have the inclination to have someone else take a crack at it. Shipping, waiting, throwing good money after bad, it's just not something I'm interested in. If I don't like the piece when I get it, I sell it.

I don't have much going on with reward points right now, but I enjoyed the little catalog box they sent out with the gift cards, thought that was pretty sweet!

I haven't either but I have a few kits and I've seen repaints on youtube that changed my mind. If I had more points I would have purchased one of those two older Red Sonja statues and had them repainted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
377 posts

After being delayed two times (which I hear is par for the course) I received this small Black Panther statue yesterday.  I'm not as discerning a collector as most of you here when it comes to statues, but I'm just as excited to own this as when I made the pre-order.  This is my first go with Sideshow/Iron Studios and I think I will be back especially if they continue to produce these smaller pieces.

black panther 2.jpg

black panther.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
22 22