• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

2,913 posts in this topic

hello, Chad here, I'm one of the 'lurkers". I joined the boards back in 2012 but haven't been active, I have been privileged to see some amazing books posted by several folks! I started out like lots of collectors by focusing on mainly Spidey books, marvel keys and very few DC's. however in the past few years I've been bitten by the Golden Age crime and PCH bug, haven't been cured since! and like someone else previously posted, I don't want to be cured!

hello, Chad here, I'm one of the 'lurkers". I joined the boards back in 2012 but haven't been active, I have been privileged to see some amazing books posted by several folks! I started out like lots of collectors by focusing on mainly Spidey books, marvel keys and very few DC's. however in the past few years I've been bitten by the Golden Age crime and PCH bug, haven't been cured since! and like someone else previously posted, I don't want to be cured!

Chad! :hi:

Hey all ... Definitely been lurking in the background here for a bit, and now ready to step into the light (dimly)...Growing up in NYC I went to the cons regularly at Pennsylvania Hotel. I was in my late teens when spawn hit, read that for a run of about 50, then beer and girls prevailed. Comics lost....years later, wife came along and I got a job at Marvel. Brief two year stint, bad fit, worse pay. Around then found fables, walking dead, and y the last man and got back into it a bit. Then came the kids. No more fishing, travel and photography...needed a new hobby. Turns out the new hobby was an old one - and back into books. Have been scooping up silver keys last two years. Enjoy looking here and learning and maybe banging off a good deal here or there. Wanted - AF15 6+, JiM83 7+, hulk1 6+, showcase 4 5+. Blues only. Thanks.

Edited by Whocase

Hey, all! David from Shreveport here.

In brief, I first began buying comics at the twilight of the 15-cent era, when I was six. Collected fervently until the age of 18, when I wanted a few bucks and stupidly sold my collection: between 500-600 SA and BA books, tons of great runs in both DC and Marvel. Wotta maroon! Did records for the next 25 years. Tell ya, all this "raw" and "slabbed" business is really hysterical...like unslabbed comics have the stench of uncleanliness about them...wow. Jeez, back then I kept my comics in several stacks of about 12" high...and every time I sat down for a meal or had a spare moment I had one or two spread out in front of me, reading and re-reading merrily away!

Most kids lived on allowances/odd job money. Therefore, you needed to always keep out feelers for trades. Oh, that weird kid on the bus has comics, eh? Fine. I'll get off at his house and we'll have a look. Hmmmmm...a few Sgt. Fury, a Kid Colt with a tear on the cover, a few FF, two with a bit of spine-roll...etc. So it went. No internet, no comics shops, just spinner racks and flea markets and weird kids on the school bus (of which I was one!).

About a year ago a con came to Shreveport--first of its kind, really. Fantasy/comics/cosplay, the whole schmeer. I told my wife I'd go...but if there were dealers....ah...cards on the table, if there were any silver or bronze nuggets, the monkey might be reawakened and start screeching. That's EXACTLY what happened.

Since then I've amassed a nice DC and Marvel horde and am working on quite a few runs. I love DC SA ancillary titles like Doom Patrol, Challengers of the Unknown, Sea Devils, Blackhawk, Metal Men and so forth, and DC bronze war stuff. Talk about mother's milk, all that Kubert/Heath stuff.

The stuff I pop for ranges from 4.0 - 6.5, and they make me thoroughly happy. All the old house ads, the whole deal. All I really seek is decent tightness in the spine and nice color on the cover. This deal of CGC and all is the same as someone buying a '71 hemi Cuda and trailering it around all the time! No fun!!

Anyway, cool to be here!

Dave

Hi everyone, my name is Loren and I have been a huge Marvel fan for my entire life. I have collected comics of various titles mainly from the Marvel Universe. I began collecting Spiderman toys and collectibles years ago, and at one time had a massive collection. I stopped actively collecting in the Spiderman stuff in 1998. I recently began collecting CGC graded books, collecting titles that I enjoy the cover art from. It has become a fun hobby and a fun "treasure hunt". I have been selling off my Spiderman toys in the meantime.

Cheers for the welcome here!

Stone Cold.

Hi everyone, my name is Loren and I have been a huge Marvel fan for my entire life. I have collected comics of various titles mainly from the Marvel Universe. I began collecting Spiderman toys and collectibles years ago, and at one time had a massive collection. I stopped actively collecting in the Spiderman stuff in 1998. I recently began collecting CGC graded books, collecting titles that I enjoy the cover art from. It has become a fun hobby and a fun "treasure hunt". I have been selling off my Spiderman toys in the meantime.

Stone Cold.

Hey, welcome to the boards Stone Cold

Stone Cold.

Welcome

Hi, my name is Mark and I began collecting and reading comics as a teenager in the early 90s. Now, as an older child in my 30s, I am recovering from the damage of all those poly bags and variant covers, and have found that there are so many great stories and artists in this medium.

My primary interest in collecting comics is to read them, but I have also acquired a few keys over the past few years.

Hi, my name is Mark and I began collecting and reading comics as a teenager in the early 90s. Now, as an older child in my 30s, I am recovering from the damage of all those poly bags and variant covers, and have found that there are so many great stories and artists in this medium.

My primary interest in collecting comics is to read them, but I have also acquired a few keys over the past few years.

...the publishers certainly did "play" us back in the day..... congrats on the recovery and persistence..... and WTTBs................ GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Welcome.

I don't have a Rainbow video that fits your name. Sorry :sorry:

Hello!

I'm new to the site. I started collecting in the late 80's into the mid 90's. I'm a Marvel guy who transitioned to Image in the early 90's. I kind of got burned out or bored with comics for a while until I moved around the corner from a comic shop in 2008 and the comic bug bit me again. In the 90's I only really cared about art, but at this stage in my life the stories and writers have began to be my focus.

Crime/noir comics are my favorite kind of comics.

I'm looking for long term investment opportunities, I'm not into the quick flip. Currently focused on key issues and first appearances.

Hello all, my name is David and I'm an addict. It's been 39 minutes since I last used (& I didn't stop until I was completely through with it..DK3 The Master Race Book 2). All jokes aside, I started collecting with my childhood friends and we lived right down the street from a Sportscard & Comics shop. We'd spend hours making our own matchups as to which comic book hero &/or villain would beat who and which out of all was the strongest, smartest, etc. There was no concept of value, other than the newest Wizard telling us a value that we'd never see as we didn't sell comics because we loved them. We bought, traded, and yes even played poker for comics but to sell them for useless pieces of green paper (that held no story to read, no hero or villain to admire, and amongst us, at least, no real use other than to buy more comics with) it just made no sense. We loved the Marvel Universe Character A-Z comics because we were first appearance (& death) hunters; it also provided us with the necessary info as to their powers and such. Somewhere along the way we grew up and lost touch, I also lost touch with collecting. Most all of that collection is gone but I started back up and have been lurking here for some time. I hope to get to meet as many of you (virtually on this board) as possible, as it seems we all have a wonderful little addiction that only others whom are afflicted can truly understand and appreciate!

Great to meet you all, from Houston Texas- I'm Dave. :)

Oh and my apologies for the novel above (kind of long winded, but you'll all get used to it once you get to know me better; or you can just skip over my posts lol).