• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

2,913 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, irvin9906 said:

Ahoy everyone!

TLDR: I'm new to comics, been of fan of superheroes since the 90s and am in it for both reading enjoyment and classic collecting/investing.

My "first appearance" was a handful of books as a kid, none of which survived to this day, at least not in my possession. I was always a Spider-man, Batman and X-Men fan because of the animated series of the 90s.

About 6 months ago my interest in comics was piqued when I learned about the Darth Vader series from 2015. I tried out the Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider and Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-man series but neither of them were quite what I was looking for. However, 3 other series have cemented me in for current runs on a pull list: Black Bolt, Bane: Conquest and the latest Astonishing X-Men!

I also have been haphazardly picking up interesting issues. Most notably was the Uncanny X-Men #266 (1st app. Gambit) that I got signed by Andy Kubert at SDCC. Gambit has always been my favorite X-Men member. Waiting to get that one back as my first slabbed book, Signature Series!

The one book I vividly remembered having as a kid was Spider-man Maximum Clonage Omega. Fortunately for me that bit of nostalgia didn't cost much!

Anyhow, I am looking forward to learning and sharing with the crew around here!

Welcome to the boards!! :applause:

Hi all,

Been collecting for about 35 years.  Have a little of everything nowadays.  I am not a "flipper", I collect for the joy of the hobby. I'll be lurking around a lot just to learn the ins-and-outs of how CGC graded books.  I have a few CGC graded books, but I am looking to expand.  I am looking to discern the pros and cons of CGC versus other companies.  And I figured the message boards are the best place to get input.   I understand no company is perfect, but I am trying to determine where my money would best be spent.   I lurk around on other comic grader boards as well, just to see what kind of information I can get so as to make an informed opinion.  I look forward to reading the topics and interacting with the community.  Thanks for your time.  Best Regards. 

Hello CGC boards my old friend...

Previous board member back again after a long hiatus.

My last board log in was Nov 2011 under the handle StormShadow.  I moved that year in September and boxed up all my comics. Put them in a closet at my new place and haven't fussed with them much except to sell a few here and there. Decided to take a small break from comics which ended up lasting until earlier this year. Right around the same time i was moving someone from my hockey team unleashed a crazy spam malware which destroyed my hotmail email and i gave up on it and basically lost access to a few things. Last excuse but not least Ive just been busy with life I guess. Hopefully Ill stick around a bit longer this time.

Crazy how time flies ! 

I'm not sure what big events I've missed in the collecting world since basically mid 2012 but I'm sure there have been a few. 

Anyone care to bring me up to speed? 

Some things Ive noticed are the crazy high prices for AF15, Don and Maggie pedigree, there are a lot of pressers?!? I saw an ad locally on craigslist here in Vancouver advertising pressing service for $8 per comic...that is a pretty good price...

Looking forward to speaking with everyone again on here!

5 hours ago, faheyb said:

Hi all,

Been collecting for about 35 years.  Have a little of everything nowadays.  I am not a "flipper", I collect for the joy of the hobby. I'll be lurking around a lot just to learn the ins-and-outs of how CGC graded books.  I have a few CGC graded books, but I am looking to expand.  I am looking to discern the pros and cons of CGC versus other companies.  And I figured the message boards are the best place to get input.   I understand no company is perfect, but I am trying to determine where my money would best be spent.   I lurk around on other comic grader boards as well, just to see what kind of information I can get so as to make an informed opinion.  I look forward to reading the topics and interacting with the community.  Thanks for your time.  Best Regards. 

Welcome to the boards!! Glad to have you here!!

6 hours ago, faheyb said:

Hi all,

Welcome  :foryou:

1 hour ago, DarkKnightReturns said:

Hello CGC boards my old friend...

Previous board member back again after a long hiatus.

My last board log in was Nov 2011 under the handle StormShadow.  

Welcome back Stormy.  :foryou:  (I love giving flowers away on the boards, costs me nothing)

Hi all.  New to the boards.  Was a collector back in the early 90s and then took quite a bit of a hiatus.   Found my old collection and now am inspired/collecting again.  My catch up list and key issue list is large. Looking forward to rebuilding my PC and sharing it with my son as he gets older.  

Edited by Drill423

45 minutes ago, Drill423 said:

Hi all.  New to the boards.  Was a collector back in the early 90s and then took quite a bit of a hiatus.   Found my old collection and now am inspired/collecting again.  My catch up list and key issue list is large. Looking forward to rebuilding my PC and sharing it with my son as he gets older.  

Welcome to the Boards :) 

Hey everybody! Been lurking around these forums for years, 6 years I believe haha, well finally decide to join the group, been collecting since the summer of 92 when I first got a pack of Marvel Universe series 3 cards at my local shop and been hook ever since, a fan of all heroes and villains, planning to showcase my collection here, very interested in what you guys and gals think of it:bigsmile:

Edited by Spikenector

Hi,

My name's Tom.  I've been collecting comics since I can remember (first trip to a shop was when I was five days old, apparently).  At 37 now, comics overrun my house, but I have them mostly under control.  Trying to shed the collection down a bit, as I got a bad lesson in what happens if they're left (someone looking after my grandma stole about a quarter of my dad's old collection from his family home).

More than anything now, I collect commissions--it's my thing.  I'm a school librarian, and my theme is characters reading books.  I'll post some sometime!

3 hours ago, Mr. F said:

Hi,

My name's Tom.  I've been collecting comics since I can remember (first trip to a shop was when I was five days old, apparently).  At 37 now, comics overrun my house, but I have them mostly under control.  Trying to shed the collection down a bit, as I got a bad lesson in what happens if they're left (someone looking after my grandma stole about a quarter of my dad's old collection from his family home).

More than anything now, I collect commissions--it's my thing.  I'm a school librarian, and my theme is characters reading books.  I'll post some sometime!

Awesome Tom!! Look forward to it :) Welcome to the Boards!!

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:18 AM, Mr. F said:

Hi,

Welcome to the boards.

This is a great place to be and there are lots of wonderful people here.

Hello everybody! My name is Joe and I live in Ocean City NJ and have been a comic fan since 1984. I'm not sure about the early dates and timeline of when I got my very first comic, but the one that sticks out as my earliest and definitely favorite is GI Joe #24 i believe the issue number is correct. It's the cover that caught my eye and is to this day one of my favorite pieces of artwork of all time. The cover w Clutch and Roadblock holding Cobra Commander prisoner. EXCELLENT artwork in my humble opinion. Anyway, I've had a decent collection since then, w just about every GI Joe issue and then X-Men and a lot others in the 80's and 90's, and some stuff into the 2000's.  I'm mainly a Marvel guy but have gotten into Image and a few DC here and there. Vampirella and Shi, Dawn and a few other random comics that I would pick up for the cover artwork. I've been checking the values of certain issues and really want to get them graded but am not sure about the finer details of the grading process. I've read the directions here and am still unsure what exactly the cost is per book. Any clearer explanations would be appreciated. Thanks everybody