WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

1,397 posts in this topic

4 posts

So I'm not a NEW CGC member, I just opted not to get into the forum discussions. No particular reason why. Since joining CGC what, over 2 years ago, I have collected about 150 CGC books. May not be many to some, but it's a start, lol. I've recently started selling CGC books and I have read this is a better place than eBay, which has left a bitter taste in my mouth after being a member with them since 2005. I'll begin to be bit more active here and get to know many of you. I'm not one to be on forums daily for very long stints but as I stated, I'm looking to network and start up selling to interested collectors. 

Have a god weekend and Happy Father's Day to all the Fathers out there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 posts

Hey All-
I collect golden age horror, jungle, crime, war etc.  Years ago I bought a bunch of these books to use as research/reference for some art and writing projects.  I put them away and recently rediscovered them.  Their value has increased, and so has their cool factor and personal appeal.  For me it's the stranger and more unusual the better in terms of art and writing.  Also, EC comics almost feel too mainstream for me, or too cartoonish (?), I mean EC has tons of incredibly awesome and classic stuff, but maybe because it's been so popularized, and maybe because I've grown up on Mad magazine I'm now too familiar with a lot of the artists, but whatever the reason (maybe they cost too much??), I don't have any ECs.   I collect almost exclusively the smaller publishers and artists with wonderfully crude, visionary or otherwise unique styles (L.B. Cole is a prime example). 
Anyway I look forward to getting familiar with the site!
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,454 posts

@Frank Grow awesome :)

welcome to the boards!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,390 posts

Wttb 👍🏼, look forward to hearing from you all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44,276 posts
On 5/19/2018 at 12:32 PM, Wally's Comics said:

For those that don't frequent the WC fitness thread - this is me now...

I lost 105lbs in 16months and I'm still on track to exercising and eating right.

IMG_9053_sm.jpg.613685844b3061544897d8dc

It's been quite a journey!

_wally

 

Damn , simply awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40,893 posts
12 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Damn , simply awesome.

-super soldier serum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,995 posts
On 6/12/2018 at 5:33 PM, LG99 said:

I’m a total newbie, hopefully this is not a double post. 

I read comics as a kid but never collected. Now in my early 50’s I’ve got the bug. I love the slabbed stuff as I'm crossing over from graded baseball cards. Selling some now to build up funds. I don’t even know how but I found myself looking at a 1969 Silver Surfer #4 in a Battle w/ Thor cover. The cover artwork just drew me in and I’m hooked. Also bought JIM #89 for the cover artwork. Also bought a few Spiderman first black costume, and SA and BA X-Men. I need to focus! I am targeting ASM #1-100 and X-Men #1-66. Knowing me I'll stray from time to time. 

Am I the only one? Does anyone else buy books for the artwork (I gotta learn my artists) or are you laser focused? Is there any preferred market pricing websites and auction houses? 

I look forward to sharing my journey and seeing others journeys as well. Great knowledge and collections I see are here. Hopefully I won’t ask to many questions. 

Now back to adding one book at a time to my collection. 

Thanks, 

Luis 

Welcome to all the new members.

There are at least some of us who collect for the artwork.  My collections are almost all from cover artists.  Schomburg, Steranko, Kirby, Sienkiewicz, Eisner.  Especially with slabbed comics the cover artwork is where it's at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 posts

Hello everyone and sorry for the long intro coming! I posted a bit on the newbie boards but then saw this so I figured I'd introduce myself on here. I'm Jason. I enjoy comic book art; more specifically Silver, Bronze, Copper books; Kirby, Trimpe, Romita, Steranko, BWS, Byrne, Simonson, McFarlane, Lee and a handful of others' work. I am trying to collect the art I like plus ASM, Incredible Hulk, New Mutants (guess which two I'm missing), Batman, X-Men books; Doom, Juggernaut, and Sandman appearances along with nice cover artwork.

I used to collect about 25 years ago and ran out of time to keep the hobby so I had to give it up. I got back into collecting a few years ago when I thought that, instead of sending my friends' children some plastic trash, I'll gift a short box of comics when they're around 8 and another when they're 12. Barring any "whoopsies" it's going to be 24 short boxes.I'm about 4 years away from the bulk of the first boxes going out.

A few years ago I replied to a "comics for sale" CL ad, showed up to a garage full of longboxes, and started loading up. I went back a couple months later and loaded up again. In total, I got 6 longboxes for a really great price. Then I went to a small local show...and a private collector (Captain Savage 1,2, were the lowlights)...and another show...and to an estate sale (ASM longbox 130-330 minus some obvious ones)...and another collector (ASM 252, 361, Hulk 113, 114) ...all the while dabbling from time to time on that very popular auction site (I visit with low expectations and come away pleased with my purchases). I have been drooling at the books for sale here.

I've got about 2,500 books now; mostly bronze/copper age with a small hint of silver. Most are main title Marvel super hero books. I haven't read them all (yet) but I have paged through a good handful. It reminded me of why I started collecting when I was younger: the artwork. It pushed me into art classes in high school and even had me toying with the idea of an Art major in college. Art in college was a little too expensive so I dropped out, licked my financial wounds, and went with the (inexpensive by comparison) History major when I dropped back in after a few years as a bank teller.

I'd like to get into buying multiple longboxes or large lots, cherry-picking for gifts, for myself, for speculation, and selling the remnants. I've already got the buying part down and I've speculated that I'm sitting on a gold mine! :roflmao: Also, it sounds like fun: grading, cataloguing, tracking cost vs. sale price, photographing and posting the book, etc. (inventory was my favorite task when I was managing bars and restaurants). I want to appreciate as much comic book art as I can; maybe get some books with nice covers graded to hang (away from sunlight) on the wall. If I can sell some of those books in 40 years so that I have nicer, more absorbent diapers to soil then that's just icing on the cake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 post

Hi all - to introduce myself I've been a reader for close to 30 years (of just about everything marvel & DC, and some indies Sin City/Walking Dead/TMNT), but not much of a collector until the past year. I joined CGC earlier this year to start getting some of my more valuable books slabbed. I really wish I bagged and boarded everything all those years...:frown:. It's great to see such an active community here. I don't know very many folks in my everyday life that share the hobby. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone on the boards. I'll mostly be in the comics market forum looking for silver age books, and maybe some copper/modern. Good luck to you all with your collections!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37,807 posts
21 minutes ago, Noble52 said:

Hi all - to introduce myself I've been a reader for close to 30 years (of just about everything marvel & DC, and some indies Sin City/Walking Dead/TMNT), but not much of a collector until the past year. I joined CGC earlier this year to start getting some of my more valuable books slabbed. I really wish I bagged and boarded everything all those years...:frown:. It's great to see such an active community here. I don't know very many folks in my everyday life that share the hobby. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone on the boards. I'll mostly be in the comics market forum looking for silver age books, and maybe some copper/modern. Good luck to you all with your collections!

Welcome,and have fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 post

Hi everyone,

My name is Tommy. I recently got into collecting comics at the ripe age of 34. Starting out a collection, I went with what I know so Im into mostly punisher comics but ive been buying up some first appearances and multi cover error comics. Its something to take up some of my time and i enjoy reading them.

Thanks for having me here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,454 posts
1 hour ago, Tommy C. said:

Hi everyone,

My name is Tommy. I recently got into collecting comics at the ripe age of 34. Starting out a collection, I went with what I know so Im into mostly punisher comics but ive been buying up some first appearances and multi cover error comics. Its something to take up some of my time and i enjoy reading them.

Thanks for having me here

Welcome to the Boards!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,390 posts
On 6/26/2018 at 3:27 PM, jas1vans said:

Hello everyone and sorry for the long intro coming! I posted a bit on the newbie boards but then saw this so I figured I'd introduce myself on here. I'm Jason. I enjoy comic book art; more specifically Silver, Bronze, Copper books; Kirby, Trimpe, Romita, Steranko, BWS, Byrne, Simonson, McFarlane, Lee and a handful of others' work. I am trying to collect the art I like plus ASM, Incredible Hulk, New Mutants (guess which two I'm missing), Batman, X-Men books; Doom, Juggernaut, and Sandman appearances along with nice cover artwork.

I used to collect about 25 years ago and ran out of time to keep the hobby so I had to give it up. I got back into collecting a few years ago when I thought that, instead of sending my friends' children some plastic trash, I'll gift a short box of comics when they're around 8 and another when they're 12. Barring any "whoopsies" it's going to be 24 short boxes.I'm about 4 years away from the bulk of the first boxes going out.

A few years ago I replied to a "comics for sale" CL ad, showed up to a garage full of longboxes, and started loading up. I went back a couple months later and loaded up again. In total, I got 6 longboxes for a really great price. Then I went to a small local show...and a private collector (Captain Savage 1,2, were the lowlights)...and another show...and to an estate sale (ASM longbox 130-330 minus some obvious ones)...and another collector (ASM 252, 361, Hulk 113, 114) ...all the while dabbling from time to time on that very popular auction site (I visit with low expectations and come away pleased with my purchases). I have been drooling at the books for sale here.

I've got about 2,500 books now; mostly bronze/copper age with a small hint of silver. Most are main title Marvel super hero books. I haven't read them all (yet) but I have paged through a good handful. It reminded me of why I started collecting when I was younger: the artwork. It pushed me into art classes in high school and even had me toying with the idea of an Art major in college. Art in college was a little too expensive so I dropped out, licked my financial wounds, and went with the (inexpensive by comparison) History major when I dropped back in after a few years as a bank teller.

I'd like to get into buying multiple longboxes or large lots, cherry-picking for gifts, for myself, for speculation, and selling the remnants. I've already got the buying part down and I've speculated that I'm sitting on a gold mine! :roflmao: Also, it sounds like fun: grading, cataloguing, tracking cost vs. sale price, photographing and posting the book, etc. (inventory was my favorite task when I was managing bars and restaurants). I want to appreciate as much comic book art as I can; maybe get some books with nice covers graded to hang (away from sunlight) on the wall. If I can sell some of those books in 40 years so that I have nicer, more absorbent diapers to soil then that's just icing on the cake.

Welcome to the boards (thumbsu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,390 posts
On 6/29/2018 at 3:49 PM, Noble52 said:

Hi all - to introduce myself I've been a reader for close to 30 years (of just about everything marvel & DC, and some indies Sin City/Walking Dead/TMNT), but not much of a collector until the past year. I joined CGC earlier this year to start getting some of my more valuable books slabbed. I really wish I bagged and boarded everything all those years...:frown:. It's great to see such an active community here. I don't know very many folks in my everyday life that share the hobby. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone on the boards. I'll mostly be in the comics market forum looking for silver age books, and maybe some copper/modern. Good luck to you all with your collections!

Welcome :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,390 posts
9 hours ago, Tommy C. said:

Hi everyone,

My name is Tommy. I recently got into collecting comics at the ripe age of 34. Starting out a collection, I went with what I know so Im into mostly punisher comics but ive been buying up some first appearances and multi cover error comics. Its something to take up some of my time and i enjoy reading them.

Thanks for having me here

Welcome to the boards!! :applause:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 posts

Good day to all the members of the board. Have been a buyer and seller of collectible comics and other types of Collectibles for many decades. My items for sale in rare Comics range from Golden Age to present. Residing now in Thomasville Georgia !

Edited by Michael Jarosz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,454 posts
6 minutes ago, Michael Jarosz said:

Good day to all the members of the board. Have been a buyer and seller of collectible comics and other types of Collectibles for many decades. My items for sale in rare Comics range from Golden Age to present. Residing now in Thomasville Georgia !

Welcome! :banana:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
24 24