• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

I think if someone had a cover they would be in the same boat as the person who has a coverless copy. I guess they both could shoot dice. 

Perhaps, just in my experience coverless copies are more abundant then covers with the attributes to be able to be married. I think Filter81's 3.0 was in the 12k market.

Pretty reasonable for a sharp looking 3.0 these days if you look what that NG is going for.

Edited by amazingspiderfan

1 hour ago, Subby1938 said:

Ok so next question obviously a married book of AF 15 is better than a coverless one correct? Like if I’m just trying to get a copy at best possible price I’d lean to get married one and not grade it . That’s me I’d never buy this book listed . Here’s the auction :

https://outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed.ebay.com/outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ca%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323322095498

I would have no idea how to put a value on that book (it's not a true married cover, it's a "flawless" photocopy wrapped around a coverless copy), but I can see the appeal of it to a collector.

Presents an interesting dilemma for someone with just a cover or the opposite . There is no doubt judging by the bids there is interest in this copy. To me it’s so pointless to have a slabbed fake cover NG book. I’d rather enjoy that artwork and be able to flip through my purchase but if I had a cover to add then it changes things . I’ll watch this closely to see what happens 

2 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

Presents an interesting dilemma for someone with just a cover or the opposite . There is no doubt judging by the bids there is interest in this copy. To me it’s so pointless to have a slabbed fake cover NG book. I’d rather enjoy that artwork and be able to flip through my purchase but if I had a cover to add then it changes things . I’ll watch this closely to see what happens 

Agree 100%. I really don't get the point of looking at a photocopy of the cover inside a slab. I guess its a 3rd party opinion that the rest of the book is there, complete and unrestored. But still.

12 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

10 hours ago, SECollector said:

Agree 100%. I really don't get the point of looking at a photocopy of the cover inside a slab. I guess its a 3rd party opinion that the rest of the book is there, complete and unrestored. But still.

I probably should have said ... I completely agree that the only reason I'd want a copy like this would be as a reader.  Putting it in the slab takes away the one thing that would make it fun to own.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

On 6/27/2018 at 12:12 PM, NoMan said:

:pullhair:   I doubt it's in the CGC info that that's why. Let me call.

I'll assume sarcasm in the question, but just in case ... because.  Simple as that.

Got a question, is Hakes auction legit? I see the ads and saw they just closed an AF-15 3.0 C1 at a pretty high close. here is the link...Looks legit but not sure because they seem to auction everything

https://www.hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/223647/AMAZING-FANTASY-15-AUGUST-1962-CGC-RESTORED-APPARENT-30-SLIGHT-C-1-GOODVG-FIRST-SPIDER-MAN

2 minutes ago, BIZZARRO said:

Got a question, is Hakes auction legit? I see the ads and saw they just closed an AF-15 3.0 C1 at a pretty high close. here is the link...Looks legit but not sure because they seem to auction everything

https://www.hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/223647/AMAZING-FANTASY-15-AUGUST-1962-CGC-RESTORED-APPARENT-30-SLIGHT-C-1-GOODVG-FIRST-SPIDER-MAN

I've heard other boardies mention Hakes so I'm pretty sure they're legit.  You just don't hear about them as much as connect, clink, ha.  I think the reason why that book sold for what it did is the resto is easy to undo.  I think the piece that was attached is the upper left hand of the front corner.  

Hakes is a legitimate site.  I think the higher end price is due to the fact that the resto is minor, and can be removed.  This book will be in a blue label one day.

Edited by comicdonna

The 3.0 Qualified on Metro's site is really nice IMO (if it's still there ?)   I love the eye appeal on the front cover personally.  At one time they told me the minimum they would take but I don't recall

6 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

The 3.0 Qualified on Metro's site is really nice IMO (if it's still there ?)   I love the eye appeal on the front cover personally.  At one time they told me the minimum they would take but I don't recall

I don't see a 3.0 Qualified on Metro's site, I see a CGC 2.5 Conserved (stock photo, no pic) and a Voldy 3.5 sig series.

43 minutes ago, Howling Mad said:

What restoration does it have? Why not try to get it removed?

It has a fair amount of amateur color touch. To remove will remove a fair amount by of paper. Probably lowering to a lot less attractive 2.0/2.5?

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:

It has a fair amount of amateur color touch. To remove will remove a fair amount by of paper. Probably lowering to a lot less attractive 2.0/2.5?

If you're looking to sell or trade wouldn't it be worth substantially more with the resto removed...even if it came back a 2.0?

On 7/12/2018 at 5:47 PM, thedude said:

I don't see a 3.0 Qualified on Metro's site, I see a CGC 2.5 Conserved (stock photo, no pic) and a Voldy 3.5 sig series.

It sold a few months ago, Filter81 was consigning it.

On another note, does being a former CGC grader get privileges?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/amazing-fantasy-15-marvel-1962-cgc-fn-60-off-white-pages/a/7189-91107.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Great eye appeal , but very overgraded....... That is a pretty large piece out of the corner for a FN copy IMHO. I guess perhaps all the marvel chipped copies technically have more missing or as much ..

Thoughts?

I noticed this looking through all the marvel chipped ASM's that someone is offloading at a premium, anyone bidding on this auction might look very closely at the high res scans, And stay the heck away from the books I am after :P 

Edited by amazingspiderfan

15 hours ago, amazingspiderfan said:

Great eye appeal , but very overgraded....... That is a pretty large piece out of the corner for a FN copy IMHO. I guess perhaps all the marvel chipped copies technically have more missing or as much ..

Thoughts?

That doesn't seem excessive for a Fine range copy. Of seen similar defects on other books.

20 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

That doesn't seem excessive for a Fine range copy. Of seen similar defects on other books.

Yes you are right, I looked at it again today and I think I was a little harsh on it.  After looking at some of the high grade ASM'S they have listed with pretty substantial pre marvel chipping and pieces missing