• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,494 posts in this topic

I was looking at funny romance title art for a spoof cover I'm working on and came across "Throbbing Love".  Does anyone have a copy they can post (so I can have a better resolution image to work from)?

This one seems rare but I don't know, picked it up from a bin gathering dust at the LCS ...All True Romances #6 also has interesting citation in the OPG (Wood-art 9 pages exceptional)...anyone in the know mind telling me if this is actually rare? None on the CGC census.

atr6.jpg

Edited by szavisca

2 minutes ago, szavisca said:

This one seems rare but I don't know, picked it up from a bin gathering dust at the LCS ...also has interesting citation in the OPG (Wood-art 9 pages exceptional)...anyone in the know mind telling me if this is actually rare? None on the CGC census.

atr6.jpg

I don't know, but that looks like something Sqeggs would buy...hm

2 minutes ago, szavisca said:

Maybe,,,but it aint for sale! I like it.   Just looking for validation that I made a good buy...pretty sure it's worth at least the $2,500 I paid. 

Oh, I'm sorry...but that book max's out a $24.50...:whistle: Oh, and i fixed your price for ya...

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

A recent pick-up My Love #4. Only comic I know of with an actual Bettie Page photo cover. Pretty scarce. I've been looking for one for years!

commylove4.jpg

I'm pretty sure this not Betty Page. The nose is wrong. It also would have been on the stands in Feb 1950, which was the year she met the photographer who put together her first modeling portfolio, convincing her to wear bangs to hide a high forehead. I don't know what part of the year it was, but it's unlikely it was January. According to GCD the model is Maggie Long, from a 1947 photo shoot.

Edited by rjpb

Nice books all!

All True Romance is a great title. 

3 hours ago, szavisca said:

This one seems rare but I don't know, picked it up from a bin gathering dust at the LCS ...All True Romances #6 also has interesting citation in the OPG (Wood-art 9 pages exceptional)...anyone in the know mind telling me if this is actually rare? None on the CGC census.

atr6.jpg

yeh that All True Romance #6 is really good pickup!  one of the All True Romance issues that you don't see much at all, and a lovely cover.  If you're trying to determine scarcity (vs rarity), a good way to judge is by checking out comicbookplus.com to see if anyone has uploaded it.  Their database contains all of Jim Vadeboncoeur's romance, I believe, in addition to other contributors (our own Fett has contributed greatly), so it is a good indicator. 

All True Romance #10 could be considered both scarce (speaks to availability) and rare (speaks to value).  One of the top 50 Romance.  Not just because it's headlight hot, but because it's a signed Hollingsworth.  Known for his horror primarily, but also coveted (by me certainly) because he is another prominent black artist.  Known as the Other Matt Baker.

Nice pickups Bob (thumbsu 

Ace is a great line - their strategy was so interesting.  One of the fascinating things about Romance is you get to see a publishing phenomena roll out in a compressed, organic way.  From inception in 1947, a remarkable adaptation from Simon & Kirby to a catastrophic decline in comic readership after the War, to a year or so's worth of foot dragging on the part of the rest of the industry,  to a Bubble in '50-'51 the likes of which hasn't been seen before and since, when 1 out of 4 books on the stands was romance.  To an absolute implosion as the market for young girls cratered.  For they were coming of age and rising to the new demands of post-war adulthood, creating homes and families, and that didn't leave much time for funny books.

Young males, on the other hand...well, we know how that turned out.  :headbang:

Back to Ace - they were unique.  The line encompassed what I call the three cover styles - line drawn, painted, and photo.  Each great in it's own way, and worth collecting.

I believe RJ is correct about Bettie Page, but I think the book is great nonetheless, very teen-ish, and the Marvel early photo covers that have the Lovers heart logo are very sought after.

On 12/31/2017 at 9:58 PM, rjpb said:

I'm pretty sure this not Betty Page. The nose is wrong. It also would have been on the stands in Feb 1950, which was the year she met the photographer who put together her first modeling portfolio, convincing her to wear bangs to hide a high forehead. I don't know what part of the year it was, but it's unlikely it was January. According to GCD the model is Maggie Long, from a 1947 photo shoot.

It was a popular hairstyle of the day.  Seem to be a lot of Bettie-like photos around that people claim are her but are unlikely to have been.  The same is true of some drawn comic covers. 

5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I don't think she would be realistic for me or, apparently, the guy she is with, given how she appears to be checking out potential alternatives. hm 

2017-12-31-0001_zpskaiood2f.JPG

I've got several issues of this run..... they are very well done, and still quite affordable. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

2 hours ago, gadzukes said:

I don't know how rare these are but I just got them back from CGC so I thought I'd post them.

P1140388.JPG

P1140387.JPG

P1140391.JPG

Probably not as rare as we’d like with all the file copies floating around...though there’s not many 9.0+ copies on census for the Harvey’s .  I just got my CGC 9.0 #3 back...incidentally I’m kinda bummed they didn’t put “was I too fat to love story” on the label.  It’s been noted in the opg for years.

Rare or not I love these Harvey romance books, especially with how relatively affordable they are in high grade... I keep buying more and more.

Edited by szavisca

15 minutes ago, szavisca said:

Probably not as rare as we’d like with all the file copies floating around...though there’s not many 9.0+ copies on census for the Harvey’s .  I just got my CGC 9.0 #3 back...incidentally I’m kinda bummed they didn’t put “was I too fat to love story” on the label.  It’s been noted in the opg for years.

This is the one I really like the grade on

P1140397.jpg