• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Famous/weird/bizarre buyers?
1 1

74 posts in this topic

I would be the a-hole that responds to their list like:

Superguy Comic #7 - VF/NM or better

Superguy Comic #8 - VF/NM or better

Superguy Comic #9 - VF/NM or better

Superguy Comic #10 - VF/NM or better

Superguy Comic #11 - VF/NM or better

...and so on.

:lol:

-slym

Let's see who I can remember. These are all in person. George Takei, bought Marvel Cards from me. I asked him to pay by check, he didn't have any. Damn. John K. Did two Sketches for a few Yogi Bear Comics. Danzig, bought tons of my Bargain Silver Age from me over the years.. Bernie Wrightson, bought a Beast from 20,000 Phantoms Model. Daniel Roebuck, Bought Monster Toys and we actually became good friends. Alice Cooper bought Original Indiana Jones figures. Dicaprio strolled around bought nothing. Gene Simmons, same. Ruben Blades, bought a lot of Old Give Away comics. Jamie Hernadez Old Dell Comics. Joe Quasada Action figures. Sam Dela Rosa. Roy Rogers comics.Terrell Suggs (Line Backer Ravens) Regular,Tons of Action figures. Tod McFarland Comic Magazines. THis is all I can remember off hand.

I live in So Cal and do a lot of shows. Not much in the way of comic sales but here are some that stand out.

Whoopie Goldberg some Black Americana and a whole box of old Mad magazines. Later, I also sold her an old metal sign that said "colored" that she put above her bathroom. I delivered it to her house in Malibu and saw her Oscar. VERY cool lady!

Annie Lennox a bunch of old sleeze paperbacks at the Rose Bowl.

Brad Pitt (sans Angelina darn it) an old toy motorcycle. (He's a rider and a real nice guy). We talked bikes for a while until his kids dragged him away.

Travis Barker (several times) He and my wife really hit it off and he really isn't her type. Oh, hot rod and Rat Fink stuff.

Had Pamela Anderson, Tiffiany Amberson Theson and Ron Howard look at my stuff but didn't buy anything.

Weirdest was Michael Jackson at the Glendale Toy Show buy an early Disney toy for around $2,800 many years ago. Very quiet and soft spoken. Had a guy with money pay for it and he just stuffed it into his bag after Michael walked off.

I elbowed Martha Stewart out of my way when she was filming in a guy's booth to buy a cool old Buddy L truck. She was none too happy but the seller was glad to get my money and wasn't getting paid to be Martha's person_without_enough_empathy.

I see quite a few walking around flea markets but leave them alone.

Neat 6 year old thread with Ruben Blades name mentioned a few times that i'll resurrect to add these 2 older articles I just read through:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/celebrity-collector-rubén-blades_b_5a1f59e5e4b064ca3c15119c

http://laht.com/article.asp?ArticleId=545451&CategoryId=13003

With comics entering even further into pop culture, any other stories to add?

2 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

Neat 6 year old thread with Ruben Blades name mentioned a few times that i'll resurrect to add these 2 older articles I just read through:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/celebrity-collector-rubén-blades_b_5a1f59e5e4b064ca3c15119c

http://laht.com/article.asp?ArticleId=545451&CategoryId=13003

With comics entering even further into pop culture, any other stories to add?

I just bought a Sensation that was owned by him. He would buy books from me on eBay occasionally. His ID was something about Milagro. Nice man.

I sold Ruben a CGC 4.5 or 5.0 1930s Buck Rogers mini promo comic on eBay long ago. Sold Terry Austin some GGA comics too and that led to a trade of a piece of OA for other comics (nice guy, fun to deal with).

My most memorable celebrity dealing was pretty interesting and involved 3 generations of celebrities in a single family. Efrem Zimbalist Jr. bought a rare old song book of Opera singer Alma Gluck (his mother) for his daughter, Stephanie Zimbalist, for her birthday. It needed to be overnighted so he paid a lot extra for it.

Its always pretty rewarding to sell items of famous people to their descendants. Makes me feel warm & fuzzy inside. I sold a rare 45 record like that to a family member but don’t remember the details. Most recently I sold some family photos of William Beebe to a descendant who was named after him. Still have some items from the Beebe/Elswyth Thane estate but I think it’s a bit too pricey for him.