• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE HULK #181 CLUB
24 24

1,668 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Not really as double covers aren't broken out in the census. :)

but a cool book none the less ;)

LOL, And here I thought we could get them their own congressman next year!

1 minute ago, Bukeus said:

LOL, 

I would wager more rare than a mark jeweler of any issue, but who's to say lol

Still sweet! hope it comes back blue universal if you submitted raw and for the first time :) 

I seldom see them for sale, but when they do, they're usually in the nose bleed prices that I don't pay too too much attention to ha, cause of lack of funds haha

3 hours ago, kustomizer said:

I heard a couple of days ago that there's at least one other guy with cases of 181. Whenever he needs cash, he peels off a few more. I hope that doesn't sound too silly to you.

The same thing was said about Amazing Fantasy 15 and dealers holding onto boxes of them.  Regardless of the supply, there are so many collectors that consider these books their grails because characters like Wolverine, Spiderman and the Hulk are some of the most popular characters out there that are apart of mainstream pop culture.  Even if there are thousands more copies out there, there are thousands more newer comic collectors that will eventually want the book in their collection.

Yeah Keys_Collector is right.  I named my son Logan and was at a stop light a few months back with a guy with a baby Wolverine sticker on his car window so I asked and he named his son Logan too.  I have a feeling there'll be a steady supply of Wolverine fans in the future.

7 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

The same thing was said about Amazing Fantasy 15 and dealers holding onto boxes of them.  Regardless of the supply, there are so many collectors that consider these books their grails because characters like Wolverine, Spiderman and the Hulk are some of the most popular characters out there that are apart of mainstream pop culture.  Even if there are thousands more copies out there, there are thousands more newer comic collectors that will eventually want the book in their collection.

I never heard about dealers with boxes of AF#15. I didn't thinking illicit bulk-buying of comics from distributors started until 1964. Would be very interested in reading more about that.

I certainly understand there's huge demand for Hulk #181 (and rightly so), I'm just saying the prices have been manipulated on it.

Edited by kustomizer
typo

22 hours ago, kustomizer said:

I dunno, before I put several grand into a book, I'd like to know whether or not there are countless quantities of uncirculated copies out there. Maybe that's just me, though.

If demand wasn’t there price would not b where it is at.  What do you think a fair price for that book would b?

2 hours ago, etowah1123 said:

If demand wasn’t there price would not b where it is at.  What do you think a fair price for that book would b?

The price has been manipulated to where it is now. People pay according to their perceptions, not reality. What if it came out that there are case-loads of 150,000 VF/NM copies of 181?

Edited by kustomizer
typo

The price has been manipulated to where it is now. People pay according to their perceptions, not reality. What if it came out that there are case-loads of 150,000 VF/NM copies of 181?

I'm not sure what your mission is here, I thought this thread was the Hulk 181 club?

What if could be said about anything.  Keep it moving.

When that scenario occurs, perhaps you'll have your answer. Until then, the market for 181 will be sustained with fluctuations due to micro and macro economic conditions just like all collectibles.

12 hours ago, kustomizer said:

What if aliens came to earth and destroyed all the IH #181s that were on display in comic shops? How do you think that would affect the price? :baiting:

4 hours ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

What if aliens came to earth and destroyed all the IH #181s that were on display in comic shops? How do you think that would affect the price? :baiting:

Yeah, except the scenario of uncirculated case-loads is actually genuine.

20 hours ago, kustomizer said:

What if it came out that there are case-loads of 150,000 VF/NM copies of 181?

That sounds like the most boring issue of What If...? ever.

How large was the print run on 181?  I know someone just found that big stash of untouched M.A.S.K. toys in a warehouse but is there any precedent at all for what you're proposing?

Edited by davebo357

WARNING! DO NOT READ IF THIS SUBJECT IS BORING TO YOU!

We know for a fact that Hulk #181 was included in the Mile High II collection of 1.5 million uncirculated books. I've spoken with a dealer in the US who says Chuck used to trade quantities of his bulk finds as a way of 'laundering' and varying his stock. Guys would just sit on multi-copy boxes for years, being careful not to flood the market all at once -- unlike this all-things-comics dude who now lists around 10 x Hulk #181 per month.

From this very board, a thread called
'I thought Incredible Hulk 181(Wolverine) was rare and hard to find?'
posted in 'Comics general'.
Posted May 4, 2009 Topnotchman

'I was at one of Carbanaros NY conventions in what I think was year 2000, the year CGC was getting organized. The conversation amongst a few dealers was about a guy in New Jersey who still had a brown box case of uncirculated Hulk 181. The debate was do you just pull one book at a time and sell it without telling people you have hundreds.'

Edited by kustomizer

BTW, all the "raw" copies that guy is selling on ebay, are ALL restored.  - so yeah. :tonofbricks: , But as @etowah1123 said,  Maybe start a new thread if this is something of concern to you(?) - this thread is mainly for Hulk 181 club collectors/members showing off their 181s! :cloud9:

But for some reason I don't think you're a member... could be wrong? :shy: