• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newsstand variants of variants and other variants of variants found
1 1

47 posts in this topic

Interesting, THANKS

No problem. To be clear, my response only applies to modern and copper age books.

I understand, I was mainly asking about Newstands..... the SS#4 was a different subject, that I shouldn't have probably mentioned in the Modern forum.

Many thanks, that helps cause I see a lot on ebay advertising "newstand" that aren't 9.8 and was curious as to if a plot was afoot lol

Sometimes people will pay a little bit more for a raw newsstand copy in NM condition for their collection or in hopes of pressing and submitting for a 9.8.

Interesting, THANKS

No problem. To be clear, my response only applies to modern and copper age books.

Well, since Direct Editions barely existed in the Bronze Age (only at the end) and didn't exist before that, that should be obvious.

Interesting, THANKS

Well, since Direct Editions barely existed in the Bronze Age (only at the end) and didn't exist before that, that should be obvious.

His mention of SS #4 lead me to believe it wasn't as obvious.

I knew but honestly I thought they would be rare in high grade for similar circumstances and reasons, as far as I knew (80's baby) that all before 1980 would be considered "newstand" as far as quality of paper maybe or the way they were sold? I didn't know if they ever came bagged and boarded in stores the way perhaps moderns or coppers would..... mainly same "treatment" as is rare for newstands of recent years..... idk I was just curious if it was similar is all. the SS #4 looks hard at high grade;---- didn't know why it was rare but you clarified

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I guess your saying on the shelf at LCS a direct edition may come bagged and boarded? but newstands were the norm until the 80's and were still sold at the gas station/grocery store...etc

again pardon my ignorance :)

I guess your saying on the shelf at LCS a direct edition may come bagged and boarded? but newstands were the norm until the 80's and were still sold at the gas station/grocery store...etc

Not bagged and boarded, but handled by comic store owners and comic collectors. The books at the newsstands and gas stations stood a better chance of being handled without the care a comic shop owner would. Additionally, the books on newsstands rifled through by non-collectors and collectors alike.

Basically, there was a better chance to be damaged on the newsstands than at a LCS. Couple that with the declining newsstand distribution and you end up with fewer and fewer high grade newsstands.

It's a niche market, though. A newsstand book is only going to command the interest of a person who appreciates the difference or is a newsstand collector.

Not bagged and boarded, but handled by comic store owners and comic collectors. The books at the newsstands and gas stations stood a better chance of being handled without the care a comic shop owner would. Additionally, the books on newsstands rifled through by non-collectors and collectors alike.

Basically, there was a better chance to be damaged on the newsstands than at a LCS. Couple that with the declining newsstand distribution and you end up with fewer and fewer high grade newsstands.

It's a niche market, though. A newsstand book is only going to command the interest of a person who appreciates the difference or is a newsstand collector.

That's true overall, but there are many comic shop employees and customers who handle books... somewhat less than delicately. Plus, the most damaged Newsstand copies are most likely the ones that got returned/destroyed.

But this isn't really the best place to be discussing this. Maybe someone should start a "Newsstands" thread. hm

Yeah I know about a dozen buyers that will easily pay a premium for a high grade newsstand copy.

I never have a problem selling a high grade copy of Batman 497 or Superman 75 for that reason. I think I sold 20+ copies of Scooby Doo 12 Newsstands in 2 days.

If it wasn't for Barnes and Nobles and Books a Million I often wonder if they newsstand contract would be completely abandoned now.

Yeah I know about a dozen buyers that will easily pay a premium for a high grade newsstand copy.

I never have a problem selling a high grade copy of Batman 497 or Superman 75 for that reason. I think I sold 20+ copies of Scooby Doo 12 Newsstands in 2 days.

If it wasn't for Barnes and Nobles and Books a Million I often wonder if they newsstand contract would be completely abandoned now.

I can chime in on this. I was buying newsstand and direct sales copies back in the late 1980's, and I managed to buy just about every single newsstand issue of Batman, Detective, Superman/Adv of Superman, and Action Comics. I remember plucking newsstand issues off the shelves at our local drug store. I still buy new newsstand issues from Barnes and Nobles. The fact is, a 9.8 newsstand is very hard to find. Just the process of putting them on a rack or display shelf normally creates tiny dings on the comic book. If you are trying to find back issues of newsstand issues, the problem gets even worse when trying to find them from the last 10 years or so. That's because they are really hard to find, let alone in high grade. Trying to collect a complete run of newsstand issues in any given title is not for the feint of heart!

Here's the other thing. The first year or two of direct sales comics from the early 1980's are also pretty hard to find in high grade. For one thing, they are now almost 40 years old (yikes!). Also, the earliest direct sales comics are a little harder to find, because the majority of comic books at that time were newsstand issues instead of direct sales. Finally, when they first came out in the early 1980's, most shops did not stick the new comic books directly into a bag and they were not handled as carefully as they are today.

p.s. If you really want a challenge, try to collect the Mark Jeweler variants in high grade. It looks to me like there was only one comic book with the jeweler insert for every 30 to 50 regular copies. These were only sold in military PX's from the early 1970's thru mid 1980's, and not exactly handled with care. So getting a 9.8 jeweler variant is almost impossible. The highest graded jeweler variants that I've ever seen in a CGC case were 9.6's, and those were super rare.

Edited by Cpt Kirk

Update: Now the only newsstand issues I haven't found are Detective 868 and Action 895 (I'm almost sure they exist, since there are about 1300 newsstand variants in the titles of Action, Superman, Detective and Batman, and I've found all but two of them)

Update: Thanks to Georg in Germany, the Action 895 newsstand variant has been found. That means that out of about 1300 newsstand variants in the titles of Action, Superman, Detective and Batman, and I've found all except for Detective 868.

Wow... I just found the Detective 868 newsstand variant.    That means every direct sales copy of Batman, Detective, Superman/Adv of Superman, Action and JLA has a corresponding newsstand variant (I have all the direct sales version in these titles, plus the newsstand variant in hand).    I'm guessing no one else has ever been crazy enough to do this.

15 hours ago, Davidone said:

Please don't link to (or even read) garbage sites like that. So much misinformation and wild speculation, which ruins the few good and accurate parts.

I especially like this part:

braindead.jpg.30e4c61d5d10061282027e6bc00031a5.jpg

No wonder I can't get any comics locally; they were never distributed here at all! :eyeroll:

On 2017-04-19 at 11:11 AM, Cpt Kirk said:

Wow... I just found the Detective 868 newsstand variant.    That means every direct sales copy of Batman, Detective, Superman/Adv of Superman, Action and JLA has a corresponding newsstand variant

That's no surprise.

On 2017-04-19 at 11:11 AM, Cpt Kirk said:

(I have all the direct sales version in these titles, plus the newsstand variant in hand).    I'm guessing no one else has ever been crazy enough to do this.

It's pretty impressive (and, yes, crazy :baiting:) to track down copies of all those newsstand editions after the fact. It shouldn't be easy to find copies available for purchase, at least not compared to most direct editions.

16 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

That's no surprise.

It's pretty impressive (and, yes, crazy :baiting:) to track down copies of all those newsstand editions after the fact. It shouldn't be easy to find copies available for purchase, at least not compared to most direct editions.

Yes, it gets pretty difficult finding newsstand issues after the year 2003.  I have a feeling that newsstand issues start getting hard to find somewhere around the time of Waldenbooks' demise.  I believe Waldenbooks was a pretty common place that people bought newsstand issues from.

Now.... try finding all the newsstand issues in high grade, and it gets really nutty.   Out of about 1500 newsstand issues, I've found all but 5 in VF or better  (the other 5 being somewhere around FN).

Edited by Cpt Kirk

12 hours ago, mr_highgrade said:

More newsies. :cloud9:

Hulk #9 CGC 9.8 NE.jpg

X-men #442 CGC 9.8 NE.jpg

X-men #451 CGC 9.8 NE.jpg

X-men #456 CGC 9.8 NE.jpg

Nice! I'm putting together an UXM NS run (slowly and on the cheap), love the books! (The Adams Hulk is swell as well!)