• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is pressing really worth the time and money?

162 posts in this topic

FF1 I had 7.0 that someone else pressed to an 8.0 after it was sold on Heritage. I offered it for sale here for 17.5k and there were no takers. A press later and someone else sold it for 39k as that 8.0. That same book was put into the other companies slab and came back an 8.5 white and sold for around 71k.

To answer your question, two presses later and the book popped 50k.

When I see examples like this one here, a couple of questions come to my mind which would be good to get the thoughts of the other board members here:

1) Do you think this 8.5 copy would have been able to achieve the $71K sales figure if it was disclosed to the potential bidders that it was once a 7.0 copy that had been pressed to a 8.0 and now resubmitted for its current 8.5 grade?

2) Do you think this 8.5 copy would have been able to achieve the $71K sales figure if it was disclosed to the potential bidders that it was once a 7.0 copy that had sold for $17.5 before being pressed into 8.0 copy that had been resold for $39K?

In theory, I guess the $71K figure should hold since we have been told emphatically time and time again that the final grade is the only thing that matters. Hence, the rationale that there is no absolutely no need to disclose anything as even the pressers themselves along with all other rational bidders would be willing to pay for the final grade. This is irregardless of whether the book had been carefully preserve over its life to achieve this 8.5 grade or whether it had been artificially manipulated from a lower grade to achieve this final 8.5 grade.

Although the price of $71.5K should hold in theory based upon what we have been told constantly, will it actually hold with full disclosure in the real world comic book marketplace? hm

Personally I would feel slighted to a certain extent. I'm not a fan of pressing,so I guess I do have an agenda in my thinking. I'm still of the belief that pressing is a form of restoration,and a book that has been manipulated is less attractive to me than a book that has been preserved for 50 years in a high grade state.

So, I've never had a book pressed by anyone other than CCS, and I've heard some negative things about their services, but It really hasn't bothered me too much until recently. I've really started to wonder if books (especially moderns) benefit at all from pressing. Yes, gold, silver, bronze books that are printed on the old paper can present better with a press, but even then, most of the condition issues with those books are color breaks or missing pieces, so is pressing worth the time or money? I'm finding this hard to answer because I think regardless of the pressing results, you're still at the mercy of the graders and their opinion. So does this make pressing irrelevant?

Just a question rattling around my head at 4am.

Pressing is not magic. It is a process that will remove some bends, indentations and non-color breaking creases. It does not fill in pieces. It does not put color where color has been lost. It will not add gloss. It will not turn a piece of bull***t into a piece of bullion.

It will not make you more attractive to the opposite sex. It will not build neuroreceptors to make you smarter. It will not teach you how to grade. It will not get you a subscription to GPA. It will not replace decades of grading comics. It will not simulate the smell of hundreds of pounds of pulp paper. It was never "Still only 25 cents!" It can't fit on a spinner rack. It is the application of heat and moisture to an item that inexplicably has the ability to make grown men feel 12 years old again.

Actually yes it does (bold) (shrug)

I have seen turds pressed into gold.

One grade improvement can pay for one's GPA yearly service.

First you get the press the books, then you you get the grades, then you get the women.

Pressing is not magic. It is a process that will remove some bends, indentations and non-color breaking creases. It does not fill in pieces. It does not put color where color has been lost. It will not add gloss. It will not turn a piece of bull***t into a piece of bullion.

It will not make you more attractive to the opposite sex. It will not build neuroreceptors to make you smarter. It will not teach you how to grade. It will not get you a subscription to GPA. It will not replace decades of grading comics. It will not simulate the smell of hundreds of pounds of pulp paper. It was never "Still only 25 cents!" It can't fit on a spinner rack. It is the application of heat and moisture to an item that inexplicably has the ability to make grown men feel 12 years old again.

This is post is so good and so witty that the actual content may be dismissed. Everyone seems to think every book 'needs' to be pressed, maximize value, etc. When often, it doesn't matter. I remember being the next in line, behind Sean Fingh, to see Matt Nelson at a Chicago con.This was at a time when Matt was the only game in town. For a couple dollars per book Matt would advise you on a book's potential. Sean had a stack of Bronze books, I had a small stack of Silver, and Matt went through every book, explaining which books were good candidates and why. I think Sean, and I, learned a lot from these sessions. Matt did not simply take every book given. The game is different today where everyone presses everything, just in case. Vintage (Roy) makes some good points about incurring damage via a press. The more the book is handled, the more risk to damage.

If done with professional care pressing a book will always improve the book, however that does not always translate to a grade improvement on such book.

Every time an original owner book is pressed an Angel looses it's wings.

:cry:

What, were they tied up or something...?

IDK (shrug)

I root for the other side so I am happy when an Angel looses it's wings.

"Loses"

"Looses" means "the act of untying something or freeing something from restraints."

"Whoever looses the shackles of slavery for one frees all mankind."

"He always loses when he plays the quarter slots."

IDK (shrug)

"Loses"

"Looses" means "the act of untying something or freeing something from restraints."

Like the beck song:

"I'm a looser baby! So why don't you kill me?!!"

IDK (shrug)

"Loses"

Sorry spell check didn't catch one less o while I am on my phone.

Gutter Trash

Dudley-alt-mp-taunt_zps06aa7579.gif

IDK (shrug)

"Loses"

Gutter Trash

Don't get mad....be glad someone cared enough to correct you. Most don't.

IDK (shrug)

"Loses"

Gutter Trash

Yes your posts are done with the utmost care and humility haha

I have seen you at Terry's show so trust me I am holding back my comments not to be a complete spoon right back at you.

IDK (shrug)

"Loses"

Gutter Trash

I have seen you at Terry's show so trust me I am holding back my comments not to be a complete spoon right back at you.

Do not mistake forthrightness for arrogance. That would be unwise.

You've only seen me at Terry's show? I see your pasty mug all over the place (no, I'm not insulting you.) You sure it was me?

Finally, don't take things so personally. I wasn't being a "spoon" to you to begin with for you to be one "right back." I was correcting you, because when people misspell, especially common words, whether they like it or not, people judge them as being unintelligent. If you want people to see you as unintelligent, by all means, do whatever you wish.

But.....if you care about how people perceive you, you'll accept the correction and improve yourself. Don't you want to improve yourself? If you reject discipline, you only harm yourself; but if you listen to correction, you grow in understanding.

If I didn't genuinely care about you, at least to some degree, I wouldn't say anything at all. And don't hold back on my account...you should know that you're always free to say whatever you want to me, regardless of what it is. And if you see something I say that needs correcting, I hope you would care enough to say something, too.

:cloud9:

IDK (shrug)

"Loses"

Gutter Trash

Do not mistake forthrightness for arrogance. That would be unwise.

You've only seen me at Terry's show? I see your pasty mug all over the place (no, I'm not insulting you.) You sure it was me?

Finally, don't take things so personally. I wasn't being a "spoon" to you to begin with for you to be one "right back." I was correcting you, because when people misspell, especially common words, whether they like it or not, people judge them as being unintelligent. If you want people to see you as unintelligent, by all means, do whatever you wish.

But.....if you care about how people perceive you, you'll accept the correction and improve yourself. Don't you want to improve yourself? If you reject discipline, you only harm yourself; but if you listen to correction, you grow in understanding.

If I didn't genuinely care about you, at least to some degree, I wouldn't say anything at all. And don't hold back on my account...you should know that you're always free to say whatever you want to me, regardless of what it is. And if you see something I say that needs correcting, I hope you would care enough to say something, too.

:cloud9:

I am just giving you a hard time, but really you don't see how posting definition style wording comes off as a humiliation tactic, especially on a typo on one word.

I will be the first to admit if it wasn't for spellcheck I would probably be homeless, but I am not going to correct other people's wording with definitions in a degrading manner all the time which you enjoy doing on the boards. For who for what? (Ricky Waters :cloud9:)

Yes I know exactly who you are....so if you know who I am why don't you come up and say hi and interact in real life. Maybe you can even correct my speech over a beer. ;)